Roadshow Eddy Board

By Dricks

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Hey Pinside, I was having issues with the eddy board controlling the bulldozer blade on my Roadshow. It started off with needing a little tweaking once a week. Then it became once a day. Then it finally started happening all the time. I finally had enough and went on the marco specialties website and ordered a new replacement board. Well I was happier than a pig in you know what when the package showed up in my mailbox 2 weeks later. I feverishly removed the old eddy board and installed the new one. Plugged it in and the light came on. Perfect. I grabbed my small screw driver to adjust the sensitivity on the board so that I just turn off the light. I turn all the way clockwise, NOTHING. Turn all the way counter clockwise, NOTHING. The light stay's on. Now I am at a loss. Do I have have a defective
board ? Am I doing something wrong ?. What up ?? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

#2 9 years ago

i adjusted mine in switch test mode running the ball across the eddy board, tweeking the pot as i go

#3 9 years ago

Thanks Skywalker. I have done a switch test on mine a few times but never linked it with a pot adjustment. Not to sound stupid but how did you go about doing it ?

#4 9 years ago

the pot needs to be fine tuned exact, once in switch test mode, PF up, run the ball across the eddy board, you will hear the beep of the switch while tuning the pot, fine tune from there, just need to play around with it, you might find your old boards were ok

note, been awhile since i did it, maybe missing something, see how you go?

#5 9 years ago

Thanks Skywalker.

#6 9 years ago

I have experienced the same issue with my RS last year. As Skywalker stated, your old boards were probably A-OK. Assuming the electronics are working, there are really only 2 reasons the boards function intermittently. Either the pots that control adjustment are worn out, which causes them to "walk". Remember, this machine has a shaker motor, and that doesn't help. The other common issue is "cold" solder joints on the eddy board itself. A little touch up with an iron is all that is needed to rule out this cause for sure. Pinbits manufactures an updated version that needs no adjustment at all. It is currently out of stock but here is the link anyway. http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_25&products_id=203&zenid=25dbc42e0964241e76560e179b823492

#7 9 years ago

Funny you mention that Danny, I got my new board from Marco and couldn't get the light out when trying to adjust the pot. In experimenting, I was able to get my old board to work. So I am curious, did I get a dud from Marco ? And do you think I should focus my attention on the pot solder joint ? I find when I play with the connection joints where I plug the board in, I get some feedback kinda like I am hitting the right spot.

#8 9 years ago

I do not believe you can make this adjustment, watching/tweaking the red light Reliable/spoton during attract mode, super fine adjustment is needed here.

#9 9 years ago

Road Show actually has 3 "eddy" boards under the playfield. One is located in front of the "dozer", and the second is loacted in front of "Red's" jaw and the last is under the dozer in front of "Ted's" jaw. The first course of action should be to swap the board locations to verify the problem "follows" the board. If this is in fact the case, assuming the electronics on the board itself are ok, there are 2 possible solutions you could try. You should touch up the solder at J1 and J2 on the suspect board and also at R2, the pot location, to rule out possible cold or cracked solder joints. If the board still falls out of adjustment, the pots are probably worn out. Remember RS has a shaker motor which could quite possibly cause the pot to "walk". That would explain the constant need to adjust them. Depending on your soldering skill level, the pot is really not that hard to replace. Also, a drop of crazy glue in the pot itself, sometimes works to hold it after it has been adjusted to where it should be, but remember that is really only a temporary fix. Cheers

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from skywalker:

I do not believe you can make this adjustment, watching/tweaking the red light Reliable/spoton during attract mode, super fine adjustment is needed here.

All adjustments should be done in "switch test mode" not "attract mode"..

#11 9 years ago

Thanks so much Danny for your expertise. I will try your recommendations on the soldering. I think you may have lead me in the right direction. All the best to you.

#12 9 years ago

Best of luck, be sure to let us know things turn out.....

#13 9 years ago

I would recommend the Pinbits replacement DannyFresh mentioned if it becomes available again. I was messing with that eddy board every time I played my RS and finally said "screw it" and bought the replacement from Pinbits and never looked back.

#14 9 years ago

Well, I took your advice Danny and its seems to be working. I re-flowed solder on the connector joints and voila. Magic. BTW, the eddy board I ordered from Marco was not defective, it is for a Scared Stiff pin. So I am going to swap it with the correct board for the Roadshow. Thanks pinside for all your suggestions. Cheers.

2 weeks later
#15 9 years ago

I am glad your RS is functioning normally again enjoy....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 63.95
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 26.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/roadshow-eddy-board and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.