• 14 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by grantopia
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Hi folks,
a friend of mine has a funny prob with his Roadshow pinball. Whenever we play a couple of games during an evening, at some point the dozer starts to go up and down at no regular interval. It is not that the dozer does not stop and does it all the time. No, it only happens "now and then".

This is not a switch issue as if you play only a couple of games, it does not occur. It starts to happen if you play for a longer period of time (at least 3 hours of play). The thing that makes me believe it is a bug that you get points if the dozer goes up and down. I guess the switch thinks that the dozer was hit and you get the score for that.

What we both do not understand is the fact that the game works perfectly for hours and then it starts to happen. My friend thinks that he has a game chip that has buggy code and is not the most recent.

Anybody ever seen anything like that on a Roadshow pin? Any hints what to check?

#2 11 years ago

Forget buggy chip and think what makes it go up and down.

Then you'll figure what to look at.

Could be eddy sensor, game lost track of ball and lifts blade, could be a few things.

LTG

#3 11 years ago

LTG's got it, More specifically, I'll bet it's your "Red" eddy sensor needing adjustment is all. The shaker makes all 3 of my sensors go out of tune all the time. When Red unexpectedly sees a "hit" the machine thinks there's a ball trapped behind the dozer (so it raises).

#4 11 years ago

Don't dismiss the possibility of it being a flaky opto either, mine did some really strange things until I replaced the optos! They tested fine, but in gameplay did things similar to what the OP described.

#5 11 years ago

Thanks, noted!

7 years later
#6 3 years ago

Man, I always wish the OP would post a follow-up on threads like this. As I've got a similar issue and would love to know how the OP resolved theres.

10 months later
#7 2 years ago

I had the same problem with the dozer randomly going up and down. It was in fact a bad eddy board (the one in front of the dozer blade). Replaced the board problem solved.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from JBtheAVguy:

I had the same problem with the dozer randomly going up and down. It was in fact a bad eddy board (the one in front of the dozer blade). Replaced the board problem solved.

I have the same issue, can you tell me which board exactly? Location and part number?

1 week later
#9 2 years ago

Here's where I found the board

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/archive/112117

The location is under the table just below the front of the dozer blade. There's one for the front of the dozer blade and one for behind the dozer blade. There's also one just under Reds mouth. Hope this helps.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from JBtheAVguy:

The location is under the table just below the front of the dozer blade. There's one for the front of the dozer blade and one for behind the dozer blade. There's also one just under Reds mouth. Hope this helps.

Any idea where to get a replacement motor for the dozer? Its a different size gear than the jaw motor and no one seems to have it.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from JBtheAVguy:

Is it better to put 2 new one? Or theres is a way to check them separately?

Is this the same part or a different one?

https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=5768-14323-00

#12 2 years ago

Check and try adjusting the one behind the blade first. The game is likely registering the ball as trapped behind the blade. It may just need to be adjusted. These boards tend to need recalibrated from time to time. I'd try this before replacing it.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from grantopia:

Check and try adjusting the one behind the blade first. The game is likely registering the ball as trapped behind the blade. It may just need to be adjusted. These boards tend to need recalibrated from time to time. I'd try this before replacing it.

When you say ajusting? What do you want me to do? These boards are located under pf?

Total noob here sorry

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from Paseb:

When you say ajusting? What do you want me to do? These boards are located under pf?
Total noob here sorry

Yes, they sit under the playfield and detect when the ball is above it. On Road Show there is one behind the bulldozer blade to detect if the ball is stuck there or hits Ted's mouth.

There is an LED on the board itself and a potentiometer. Turn it counter clockwise until the LED comes on, the turn it clock wise until the LED just shuts off. Then you can see if it is working properly in switch test.

Over time, vibrations on the game will move the pot out of adjustment and they need to be readjusted like this. That said, they can go bad and need replaced, but I would try this first.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/roadshow-dozer-up-and-down-bug?hl=dakotamike and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.