rudy (resized).jpg
20200416_201447 (resized).jpg
ted (resized).png
red (resized).png
RUDY-FH-MANDIBLE (resized).jpg
RED-RS-MANDIBLE (resized).jpg
TED-RS-MANDIBLE (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

We have run the 3 different colors of Mandibles/Jaws from the original WMS tool (Red for RS, Ted for RS, and Rudy for Funhouse - yes, each was actually a different color!) - with 2 lip profiles (Rudy and Ted have the Curvy Lip, and Red has the Arc Lip).

As if that could not be any more complicated, we are trying to match as close as possible the Lip color of each of the 3. You would think that was simple, but no ... we acquired the original colors for each of the lips - and of course that does not match too well the originals that we have on a RS and FH that we have. In fact the original blueprints don't really call out 'red lips' they are more of an orangish or a pinkish red in all cases.

So, before we start decorating (painting) the lips we wanted to get the 'best' colors - doing this with pictures and browsers is probably not the best, but if anyone has input that would be great. We've included for each of the Mandibles what we saw on our original game vs what is specified on the blueprint. Note that there are no 'red' reds on any of them and we look at the face upper lip decoration to see that the mandible (lower lip) was not altered or touched up.

Would be interested in any thoughts on this and if anyone has anything different on their game. It is very possible that different Reds were used in production, but still our game shows different than the prints, so it's a little confusing as to what to do.

What is attached are 3 pics for each lip color - the color swatch is the closest match to our real game, and the bottom is the specific color called out by the blueprints.

Thanks!

RED-RS-MANDIBLE (resized).jpgRUDY-FH-MANDIBLE (resized).jpgTED-RS-MANDIBLE (resized).jpg
#2 1 year ago

so glad to hear you are making these!.........will you also be making the face fronts and backs?

#3 1 year ago

We have the Mandibles here and just need to decorate and then will be available. We are moving thru all of our WMS tooling and trying to get whatever can be run run.

#4 1 year ago

Awesome! Glad they're being made. I've never seen such orange on any game, they're almost always red - but who knows what color they were when they left the factory. Perhaps someone has old photos from the 90's? That may be the best way to see what color they were back then. Another option would be trying to match the color on Rudy's lips in the translite.

#5 1 year ago

Always good with new items being made.

On my RS Reds upper lip is mostly orange (not red), while Teds upper lip is red-orange-ish. Not sure pictures help because of lighting/camera issues but I'll try anyway. My jaws has lost their lip colors so no use me posting them.

For me Teds face is much darker in skin tone than Reds face; it kind of feels like the colors you've shown are face colors and not lip colors, as that match a bit closer at least.

My Red:
red (resized).png

My Ted:
ted (resized).png

#6 1 year ago

I repainted a few Rudy's, and was happy with the colors I found. I posted them here on pinside, but can look thru my paints to find out what they were if you need.

20200416_201447 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#7 1 year ago

awesome that you are getting these made, here is a pic of mine pre-renovation.

rudy (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#8 1 year ago

Ok, so after gathering feedback as well as checking the prints, ordering the original colors, checking some games, etc ... the answer is ... it varies!

Here is what we will offer.
- Mandibles - 3 Plastic Colors - these are matched to the prints (Ted is Most Orange, then Red which is in between, and then Rudy which is peach colored)
- Lips - Ted and Rudy had the Curvy Lips and Red had the Oval Lips - we also ran Rudy in Oval Lips
- Lip Colors - There is alot of variance here - faded colors on game, as well as different colors applied at factory SO ... we have 4 color choices:
> Orangish - we believe used on TED
> Light Red - we believe used on RED
> Orangish Red - shows on blueprint for RUDY
> Red - can be on RUDY or the others if desired
- We will also sell the Mandibles UNDECORATED, so you can color them as you wish.

FunHouse
Road Show

Should be available in the next couple of days

These are using original WMS tooling.

Planetary Pinball

MANDIBLE (resized).jpgMANDIBLE-COLORS (resized).jpg
1 month later
#9 1 year ago

What type of paint did you use on the lips? Enamel, acrylic, something else?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!