(Topic ID: 290098)

Road Kings Issues Upon Start-Up (after long storage)

By oldgearhead

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

New to this group. I have a Williams - Road Kings Game that has served my family well. Recently after a move from Illinois to Kentucky I noticed two items with my well played game. 1) The LED with players/credits would not light (which left me in the dark when trying to do diagnostics 2) Pressing the restart button to start the game I only received what appeared to be a motorcycle sound. The game would not initiate and nothing would work. I did what I could without the LED for players/credit working - both CPU and Sound Board tested ok when I pressed the button on the board. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated as I do not want to toss this game which has become a family favorite. Thank you!!!

#2 3 years ago

Hardly something you would toss a game out for, but if you do give me a heads up and I will leave a pile of cash in place of where you leave the game.

Since the problem happened after moving the game, the most likely cause is something got shaken up, such as a cable disconnected. Check to make sure everything is well connected. Push on cable harness connectors, and with the power off gently press on all the integrated circuit components to make sure they are seated ( "chip creep" ) It sounds like this game is in need of some general maintenance. Check power supply fuses, and get a DMM/Voltmeter to check on all the power supply voltages. Read up the guides on "repairing System 11" games too. Lots of info there. If the game has batteries onboard, they may have shaken loose, causing settings to be lost. If your game has coin door coin acceptor switches, manually move one of those to try to add credits to the game to see if startup works. All hope is not lost!

#3 3 years ago

Hi, I'm getting the same sound after replacing the batteries in my Road Kings machine. Brand new batteries installed, factory reset done in the menu, and now I get that sound when I push the exterior start button. Game doesn't start. I dropped a quarter in and it gave me a credit, but didn't start up. Machine is set to free play. Will let you know if I figure it out.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Hardly something you would toss a game out for, but if you do give me a heads up and I will leave a pile of cash in place of where you leave the game.
Since the problem happened after moving the game, the most likely cause is something got shaken up, such as a cable disconnected. Check to make sure everything is well connected. Push on cable harness connectors, and with the power off gently press on all the integrated circuit components to make sure they are seated ( "chip creep" ) It sounds like this game is in need of some general maintenance. Check power supply fuses, and get a DMM/Voltmeter to check on all the power supply voltages. Read up the guides on "repairing System 11" games too. Lots of info there. If the game has batteries onboard, they may have shaken loose, causing settings to be lost. If your game has coin door coin acceptor switches, manually move one of those to try to add credits to the game to see if startup works. All hope is not lost!

Thank you for the quick reply. I will check the things you noted this weekend. Hopefully the alpha-numerics will light up so I can do the diagnostics. I checked the batteries so they are complete. I will check all connections. Thanks!

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from alanmlevin:

Hi, I'm getting the same sound after replacing the batteries in my Road Kings machine. Brand new batteries installed, factory reset done in the menu, and now I get that sound when I push the exterior start button. Game doesn't start. I dropped a quarter in and it gave me a credit, but didn't start up. Machine is set to free play. Will let you know if I figure it out.

Thanks! I will check the items provided by Wayout and get back to everyone this weekend. I appreciate the help.

#6 3 years ago

I pulled the 3 batteries and replaced them with new. Paying extra attention to be sure they were seated properly. Then did factory reset in the menu. I now am able to advance the game to 2 player, 3 player, etc., and no longer get that noise that sounds like a motorcycle revving. But the ball doesn't "kick" out to start play. When doing the self test, only a few parts fire. I ordered a fuse tester and an assortment of glass fuses. On another machine I own, when the ball wouldn't advance to start the game, the fuse under the playing surface was blown. This machine has two fuses under the playing surface so I'm going to start with those two.

#7 3 years ago

Check ALL the fuses. Pull them out to make sure they are physically intact and the rating is correct - both amperage and fast acting vs. slow blow. Fuses can fall apart with the metal end caps separating from the glass, they can be fractured in the fuse holder clips and you wouldn't even know it. This will also test the integrity of the fuse clips, as the can crack, or just simply be expanded and not putting pressure on a fuse. Then use a DMM/Voltmeter to check each side of the fuse for proper voltages.

As far as the the ball not kicking out to start play, run both a switch and coil tests and note any non working switches and coils in a list. If the the ball trough feeder solenoid #2 is not kicking, take your meter to check for the presence of DC solenoid power at the the solenoid tabs. That's half the equation, the solenoid has to have its operating voltage sitting there, then the other half is when the solenoids transistor switch makes a connection to ground, then the solenoid fires. This should get you started on the troubleshooting process.

#8 3 years ago

Ok apologies for the long delay. I finally had time to go through the machine in detail. I will follow up on checking all my fuses as you stated Alanmlevin. I did check them previously but was not aware of the fuse under the playing field. I will also remove them and check them as you stated wayout440. How do I know what voltage should be at each side of the fuses? I have a Road Kings instruction manual but I have failed to see where such items can be found. Thanks.

Now for what I found:
1) My alphanumeric display for credit/balls in play will not turn on. The display remains dark. Any ideas what might be causing this not to turn on?
2) Still only getting the noise when I press the credit button. I will try the items Alanmlevin did and report back.
3) Attract mode did go on after I went through and set the factory items.
4) Interestingly enough, and this shows my "newness" when I reran the cpu test (button on board) I did get and error: #5 Blanking signal stuck, coin door closed memory protect circuit faulty or U25 CMOS RAM faulty. (This may explain why I lose all factory setting each time I shut it off). NOTE: Batteries are new.

So being new to this type of troubleshooting....where should I start with item 4?

Thank you for any assistance!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/road-warrior-issues- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.