2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by hoby1
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

What do I need to know?! We don't have a whole lot planned outside of Niagra and the HHOF. We're only going to be in each place 1 night (2 in Niagra) so what's the 1 or 2 things we shouldn't miss? What/Where should we avoid?

It's me, the Mrs and 2 boys (10 & 7).

Toronto-
    HHOF

Niagra x2

Pittsburgh

Sandusky/somewhere along the route back toward Chicago

Thanks for the tips!

#2 2 years ago

Official abbreviation for Pittsburgh is PGH.

Make sure you eat at either Primanti Bros on North Shore or Fat Heads (south side slope sandwich) in the South Side for a great meal while in the ‘Burgh.

#3 2 years ago

Lots to do in Toronto but close to the HHOF is Rippley’s Aquarium. Depending on what aquariums you’ve seen it is a pretty good one. Next to that is the CN Tower, beautiful views of the city. There is also a skywalk there if you’re adventurous. If the Jays are in town catching a couple of innings at the Sky Dome (Rogers Centre) is a good way to kill some time, if the roof is open even better. That is all walking distance from HHOF. Beyond that Toronto has a world class museum, art gallery, science centre and zoo, numerous stage productions are often running in fantastic theatres and endless places to eat.

Niagara Falls is the most touristy place I’ve ever been. The falls are spectacular, taking the Horn Blower/Maid of the Mist tour is a must if you haven’t done it before and don’t plan to be back, it will get you so close to the power of Mother Nature it is amazing. Clifton Hill is full of kitschy fun.

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from roar:

taking the Horn Blower/Maid of the Mist tour is a must if you haven’t done it before and don’t plan to be back, it will get you so close to the power of Mother Nature it is amazing.

I would recommend this as well. Something about being below the falls and being confronted with something so large is pretty amazing.

roar posted some good Toronto stuff. It's all in the same general area (downtown) so any of those could happen during your 1 night.

#5 2 years ago

When you driving from Pitts to Niagara. Check out Pocketeer in Buffalo. Pocketeer is home to 67 pinballs New and Rare machines. Check out there web site www.pocketeer.com

#6 2 years ago

If you want to play pinball while in Toronto, there's Cabin Fever. They have Iron Maiden and TNA.

http://www.cabinfeverco.ca/pinball.html

#7 2 years ago

Awesome, thanks everyone. Primanti is the main reason I want to go to PGH.

I'm fact, since learning it's a much wider chain than I thought we may just stop at the one in Erie instead of going all the way to the Burgh. Probably stay at an indoor water park for 2 nights there and skip Sundusky too.

Toronto stuff is great help and will definitely try to check out Cabin Fever! I need a TNA fix and IMDN rules.

#8 2 years ago

Will have to try ro make Pocketeer a stop too.

Is Playdium worthwhile for pinball nowadays?

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from aobrien5:

Awesome, thanks everyone. Primanti is the main reason I want to go to PGH.

Uff...hate to say it but Primanti is a total joke. I get the whole Schtik but it's just not interesting food.
    Head over to the Andy Warhol museum and jam some culture into them kids.

June 22nd & July 28 are Pirates Fireworks night if any of those dates work. Don't have to be at the game obviously it's something cool to watch with the fam.

#10 2 years ago

Not sure my kids are old enough for that kind of culture, but thanks for the idea!

Doesn't surprise me that Primanti isn't for everyone. I'm a sucker for that kind of shtick though.

#11 2 years ago

Obviously you must head up the Duquesne Incline to get a family photo.

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Obviously you must head up the Duquesne Incline to get a family photo.

Never heard of it... googling now!

#13 2 years ago

If you go into downtown Pittsburgh after you ride the incline then go to Ruth's Chris for dinner at PPG Place!

#14 2 years ago

Ruth Chris? Why? it’s a chain you can hit about anywhere.

Pittsburgh has plenty of great local food.

Peppi’s sandwich shop is my fave But it is low brow. Go to the Grand Concourse if you want fancy Pittsburgh. It’s at the foot of the incline.

Primanti’s isn’t schtick it’s served sandwiches like that since there were thousands of laborers down in the warehouse district that needed a quick filling lunch.

#15 2 years ago

Primanti's is only good if you are there after the bars close! Grand Concourse is not what it one used to be. Tessaro's in Bloomfied is good.

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

Primanti’s isn’t schtick it’s served sandwiches like that since there were thousands of laborers down...

blah blah blah we all know the story. My point is you get a turkey sandwhich and it's below subway quality.

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

blah blah blah we all know the story. My point is you get a turkey sandwhich and it's below subway quality.

Well that’s your problem- don’t order turkey! That’s just some deli crap they bought from Sysco.

Kielbasa, sausage or something actually made in Pittsburgh is great on a primanti sandwich.

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

Well that’s your problem- don’t order turkey! That’s just some deli crap they bought from Sysco.
    Kielbasa, sausage or something actually made in Pittsburgh is great on a primanti sandwich.

Boom, fair enough.

#19 2 years ago

Sandusky is home to Cedar Point amusement park. Highly recommended.

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from thundergod76:

Sandusky is home to Cedar Point amusement park. Highly recommended.

That was the original idea for staying there. We're rethinking because the older boy doesn't like roller coasters. Not interested in paying to get in then not being able to go on most of the rides.

#21 2 years ago

Playdium is a waste of time, pinball-wise. Tilt is fun but geared more towards video.

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Playdium is a waste of time, pinball-wise. Tilt is fun but geared more towards video.

Is Cabin Fever 21+?

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from aobrien5:

Is Cabin Fever 21+?

Looks like you may be out of luck, their website says the following:

Children 14 and older are permitted before 8pm, and must be accompanied by an adult

Drop them an email to confirm 100% though.

#24 2 years ago

Sandusky has lots of family-friendly stuff. The best place to eat there on a road trip is Eats N Treats.

Kind of a pinball desert here, though Goofy Golf on Rt 250 has a couple games, I think. Pick up one of those What To Do In (city) magazines they have for free at the Turnpike rest stops. I've lived in northern Ohio almost my entire life & I still find stuff on those.

Safe travels!

There's nothing to avoid in Toronto. It's one of my favorite cities on earth.

#25 2 years ago

Go to Put in Bay Island when you in Sandusky. It very nice during by the day. Rent a golf cart and stay for the bar festivitys at night.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 149.00
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 144.00
    Lighting - Backbox
    The MOD Couple
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 18.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 19.95
    $ 18.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 149.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 225.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    Playfield - Plastics
    Mod Magic!
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 29.95
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 99.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 265.00
    $ 137.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside