Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Pickle
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

Looking for MUST DO/SEE suggestions while in San Francisco. Planning 3 days in San Francisco then driving up to Seattle- taking the scenic route to enjoy it.

Wife is looking at tours already to book in advance so we can see Alcatraz and she has found a couple to that include that so want to get it booked ahead of course. Obviously the GG and Bay Bridge. What else is must see while in San Fran…where is the best/good places to play some pin or vids would be good to. Definitely gonna drive through the red woods.

What are the MUST see/do things while in Seattle? Planning a few days there as well. What are the best places to go for pinball there as well?

Just trying to cram as much stuff in as we can.

Trip is planned for September.

#2 2 years ago

Hillsboro ore is home to Next Level Pinball Museum. The best, cleanest, 100% working collection on pins I've seen. Definitely worth the stop. 250 pins, 150 arcade, $20 bucks for all day admission. In Seattle, North Lake Tavern has the best pizza you'll ever eat, highly recommend!

#3 2 years ago

While in SF, go see Musee Mechaniqe at Fishermans warf. Many old nickelodeons and
    other rare vintage machines. Free entry, bring quarters to play the machines. Right
    next to it is the USS Pamapanita (WWII submarine) and they have nice tours.
    The Pacific Pinball Museum is in Alameda (across the bay) as is the USS Hornet
    (WWII aircraft carrier).

One thing about San Francisco, and it kills me to say this, crime is rampant.
    Be sure not to leave anything in your car that crooks can steal. Be careful.
    Parking garages are the worst.

We're located in the redwoods (sonoma county) and if you can, drive along
    the coast. My fave area is taking hwy 12 (off of hwy 101, north of SF) west
    to the coast to Bodega Bay. Head north to just south of Jenner (stop at
    Carmet if you want to get to a private beach), then head east on River Road
    which will take you back to hwy 101. A good place to stop for lunch is Lucas
    Warf (good chowder). As you're heading east on River Road, look for Korbel
    (winery). They offer a free tour which is excellent with champaign tasting.

The coast up here is stunning and if you dare, drive north of Jenner. High cliffs
    so if you don't like heights or brakes on your car are not the best, avoid.

Enjoy your trip!
    Steve

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from zarco:

While in SF, go see Musee Mechaniqe at Fishermans warf. Many old nickelodeons and
    other rare vintage machines. Free entry, bring quarters to play the machines. Right
    next to it is the USS Pamapanita (WWII submarine) and they have nice tours.
    The Pacific Pinball Museum is in Alameda (across the bay) as is the USS Hornet
    (WWII aircraft carrier).
    We're located in the redwoods (sonoma county) and if you can, drive along
    the coast. My fave area is taking hwy 12 (off of hwy 101, north of SF) west
    to the coast to Bodega Bay. Head north to just south of Jenner (stop at
    Carmet if you want to get to a private beach), then head east on River Road
    which will take you back to hwy 101. A good place to stop for lunch is Lucas
    Warf (good chowder). As you're heading east on River Road, look for Korbel
    (winery). They offer a free tour which is excellent with champaign tasting.
    The coast up here is stunning and if you dare, drive north of Jenner. High cliffs
    so if you don't like heights or brakes on your car are not the best, avoid.
    Enjoy your trip!
    Steve

Perfect! Love seeing old ships. I did 8 years in the Navy so always neat to see that stuff. Winery stop would be perfect for the wife and definitely want to drive the coast. Don’t mind cliffs with views…will be very careful in San Fran as I have heard about the crime/vehicle break ins. Our hotel is near the warf so it’s on the list.

Thanks!

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Hillsboro ore is home to Next Level Pinball Museum. The best, cleanest, 100% working collection on pins I've seen. Definitely worth the stop. 250 pins, 150 arcade, $20 bucks for all day admission. In Seattle, North Lake Tavern has the best pizza you'll ever eat, highly recommend!

You had me at Pizza! Can’t go wrong with good pizza and brew! Adding Next level to this list of places to go.

Thanks!

#6 2 years ago

I would go to Muir Woods over most all tourist attractions in SF. Check out their website. Very popular destination so you have to make a reservation to park in advance. Sausalito is nearby and a really cool little town to visit.

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pickle:

You had me at Pizza! Can’t go wrong with good pizza and brew! Adding Next level to this list of places to go.
    Thanks!

They ship pizza all over the world, it's that good!! Been eating there since the 70s, honestly, it's the only reason I'd visit Seattle anymore

#8 2 years ago

There are two other ships; The Red Oak Victory ship (Richmond) and the
    Jerimiah O'Brian (next to the Pampanita on Fishermans warf).
    Muir Woods is a great place as is Armstrong woods (not as big)
    which you'll go by on River Road. Parking so you can walk
    across the GG Bridge is a PITA. Good luck! Golden Gate
    park is really nice if you enjoy walking and want to get away
    from the city/people. Restored windmills at the west end.

There are MANY wineries around the area and were once a blast
    to jump from one to the other but now that all charge fees, so
    stick with Korbel which is the best anyway and still free.

So much to see in this area... If you like classic cars, the Blackhawk museum
    which is in an east bay city.
    Steve

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from zarco:

Steve

Sounds like a amazing place to visit

#10 2 years ago

Triple Knock in Tacoma and 8 Bit Arcade in Renton have a nice selection of pins and are well maintained. Triple Knock is a bar and adult oriented while 8 bit is more kid friendly (at least until later in the evening).

If you're a Hendrix fan, a visit to his grave is recommended. Kurt Cobain and Bruce Lee are here too.

The Air and Space Museum has some really interesting exhibits if aerospace is your thing. And the Museum of Pop Culture in downtown Seattle is well done but not cheap.

The weather in September should be great with warm days and cool nights so there's tons of outdoor opportunities to partake in. Google Green River Gorge Resort for a nice hike to the river that many people don't know about (it's not a resort anymore BTW)

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from jamesmc:

I would go to Muir Woods over most all tourist attractions in SF. Check out their website. Very popular destination so you have to make a reservation to park in advance. Sausalito is nearby and a really cool little town to visit.

That is on my wife’s list…the trees sound amazing.

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from GSones:

Triple Knock in Tacoma and 8 Bit Arcade in Renton have a nice selection of pins and are well maintained. Triple Knock is a bar and adult oriented while 8 bit is more kid friendly (at least until later in the evening).
    If you're a Hendrix fan, a visit to his grave is recommended. Kurt Cobain and Bruce Lee are here too.
    The Air and Space Museum has some really interesting exhibits if aerospace is your thing. And the Museum of Pop Culture in downtown Seattle is well done but not cheap.
    The weather in September should be great with warm days and cool nights so there's tons of outdoor opportunities to partake in. Google Green River Gorge Resort for a nice hike to the river that many people don't know about (it's not a resort anymore BTW)

Didn’t think about the graves….my wife would be into that. The pop culture museum may be neat….will look it up but so many of my friends and myself have collections of crap we damn near live in museums LOL! We are suckers for that stuff as there is always something new you didn’t remember.

#13 2 years ago

Food wise visit little Italy close to pier 39. Great eats there. Come see the Napa Valley 45 mins North of Sf. Great Wine tours and the Mustards are out blooming beautiful drive up hwy 29.

#14 2 years ago

For pinball in San Francisco: Free Gold Watch. 1767 Waller St, San Francisco, CA 94117

When you are done, you can hang out with all the hippies on Haight Street.

#15 2 years ago

I'd get out of SF for half a day and roll down the coast to Santa Cruz. The trip down through half moon bay, Davenport etc. When you get there hit Nisene Marks, it's a park where the redwoods hit the coast. Follow up with lunch at Burger in Aptos, or Pizza 1 in Aptos. Both are within a mile of the park. Pizza one has the best sourdough crust you'll ever have. Get the "Corralitos market", to experience the local flavors.

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinbub:

I'd get out of SF for half a day and roll down the coast to Santa Cruz. The trip down through half moon bay, Davenport etc. When you get there hit Nisene Marks, it's a park where the redwoods hit the coast. Follow up with lunch at Burger in Aptos, or Pizza 1 in Aptos. Both are within a mile of the park. Pizza one has the best sourdough crust you'll ever have. Get the "Corralitos market", to experience the local flavors.

That may be doable as it feel like not doing the “touristy” thing….you can do a lot in 3 days of you plan it right.

#17 2 years ago

Many good suggestions so far.I would checkout Santa cruz,Half Moon Bay and definitely do the Alcatraz Boat tour
    All of these are available from Highway 1 along the Coast.Highway 1 from Santa Cruz all the way to Oregon is a beautiful drive.
    If You like seafood Half Moon Bay and Frisco have lots of good Crab and lobster and plenty of shrimp.In San Francisco You will see some big city problems like any other big city but the beautiful parts are worth tolerating the bad for a short time visit.

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Sounds like a amazing place to visit

Wish we all had crime free cities but it’s not the world we live in. Here in the Houston area violent crime has gone up significantly. I have been to many countries/places that are very unsafe…you learn how to not make yourself a target, be aware of your surroundings, and keep your head on a swivel. Things can happen anyway but not gonna live in fear.

2 weeks later
    #19 2 years ago

How was your trip ?

6 months later
    #20 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

How was your trip ?

Trip starts TODAY!!! Get into San Fran today around noon.

#21 1 year ago

A quick Pappasitos breakfast burrito and a margarita….the cornerstone of any nutritious breakfast…keep the drinks coming. A 3 hour nap on the plane and then ready to tear it up in San Fran.

#22 1 year ago

Just gotta avoid Sasquatch and wild fires and we should be fine.

#23 1 year ago

So….a few updates…trip has been OK so far.

Did a tour that showed us most of San Fran that you need to see. Muir Woods was AWESOME!!! Did the drive to Half Moon Bay/Santa Cruz and and that was good to get out of San Fran. Had dinner at the Epic Steak House…beautiful view of the Bay Bridge so that was good…watched the sunset and the bridge light up.

Today- very busy with lots of driving…
    Made the drive through the Avenue of giants and drove the the Chandelier tree..that was cool. Hauled ASS and made it to Crater Lake…that is impressive and an amazing view. Pushed on to Eugene and at Hyatt Place hotel….wife was checking us in and I was at the car and there was a group of about 8 or so 20’somethings and I happened to hear one one of them say they were heading to Level Up LOL! I knew exactly what they were talking about…it’s less than 2 miles from the hotel.

Plan for tomorrow is to check out the rock at Cannon Beach…thought I would check out Next Level but they are closed until Thursday…may find a way to get there on Friday…

Will be at the Mariners game on Thursday.

Been a good trip so far!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/road-trip-san-fran-to-seattle?hl=nogoodnames222 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.