(Topic ID: 64948)

Road Show vs. Funhouse vs. Johnny Mnemonic vs. Demolition Man (vs. WCS)

By robbiedoo

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Best pin for me based on my criteria?”

• Demolition Man 7 votes
    13%
  • Johnny Mnemonic 11 votes
    20%
  • Road Show 20 votes
    36%
  • Funhouse 18 votes
    32%

(56 votes)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Dr_Spaceman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from robbiedoo:

I am trading my X Files in, because it got old kinda fast, and my wife found it too difficult. Those ramp shots really are tough sometimes, so I want a pin that we can both enjoy. One that has depth but one that also an amateur can pickup quickly.

I have all 4. Based solely on this comment above I would avoid JM. Don't get me wrong. JM is an awesome game, but if you don't hit your shots with some regularity you'll have some really short ball times. A casual play might find that hard to enjoy at least at first.

My personal choice is RS. It is a deep game that seems to have appeal to the casual players that come to my house. So much to see and do, and once you get the hang of it the linear nature kind of disappears once you start getting further west with regularity. Make sure your wife is not "creeped out" by the heads(also Funhouse). I'm serious about this. Some people can't stand looking at them.

The dark horse is DM. It gets the most play from casual players by far at my place. It is not deep, but it is really engaging if that makes sense. Fast, flowing wide body. The handles are awesome in my opinion. I don't think you can go wrong with DM either.

I like Funhouse, but I don't know if it is worth the extra cash for what you are hoping to get. The other games you mention just seem to offer a little more gameplay at much less cost. There is a reason Funhouse costs more. It is a true classic, and I don't doubt it would be a hit with your family, but I'd go with the others first.

Not to add to your dilemma, but I'd also suggest Congo. It has a ton of shots, and the theme is cheesy enough to be really fun and entertaining. It is usually "friendly" to newer players, but it still offers some challenge once you get used to it. Just my 2 cents.

#11 10 years ago

Look at it his way. With the machines you have listed you can't make a wrong decision. They are all great. If it comes down to RS or Congo pick the one in better shape. Also, in today's market from what I've seen Congo appears to be worth a little more than +$200 over Road Show so that doesn't sound too bad. Of course that is condition being equal, and they are still relatively close price wise.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Dr_Spaceman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/road-show-vs-funhouse-vs-johnny-mnemonic-vs-demolition-man?tu=Dr_Spaceman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.