019.JPG
017.JPG
007.JPG
009.JPG
008.JPG
019.jpg
013.jpg
#1 11 years ago

I've been working on a RS in my spare time and thought I would share my progress.

Does anyone know if Williams put decals on the inside of the cabinet? There were in the back, along the support rails, and on the piece that on the back of the cash box. On that section under the t-nuts it looked as if the decal had color.

240.jpg240.jpg 237.jpg237.jpg 278.jpg278.jpg

#2 11 years ago

This was my first time installing new cabinet decals. I sanded the cabinet a lot! I had some diamond coat clear left from finishing my basement, which I used on the part of the cabinet which the new decal would go over. I put on 3 coats sanding in between wet with some 300. Then a final sand with 600. Sprayed the inside and installed the decals dry following metahugh's IJ decal video

003.jpg003.jpg 004.jpg004.jpg 008.jpg008.jpg 009.jpg009.jpg

#3 11 years ago

Generally no.

But if your cabinet was made from parts of other cabinets, it may have had art work inside form a different game.

LTG : )

#4 11 years ago

My only problem was the decals I received were a little wrinkled. See the pics below. Most of the lines I was able to smooth out, but looking close you can see a some white lines. Also they seems to scratch real easy, I had a ruler I was using to trim the decals and it scratched it as I moved it slightly. Is this normal quality for decals? But all in all they turned out pretty good.

018.jpg018.jpg 014.jpg014.jpg 017.jpg017.jpg 013.jpg013.jpg

#5 11 years ago

Overall its been a fun project don't know if I would do another decal job, it's been a lot of work. But now the game is getting ready for re-assembly, after I clean and buff everything first!

019.jpg019.jpg

#6 11 years ago

I have heard that some ecals are not mae as well as others, but have no clue as to which ones are not as good. I think you have done an excellent job for your first time. Do you know who made the decals you have? It might help for others to weigh in with their experiences.?

#7 11 years ago

No, I'm not sure who made them

#8 11 years ago

Yeah, you never know what you might get with decals.

I bought the Roadshow backboard decal which was "Peel n Stick and laminated with mylar" only to find out that apparently you're required to have some sort of advanced surgical skill in order to carve out all the holes for the flashers and rivets out of your $45 investment cause you only get one shot at it.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from Leeb18509:

I bought the roadshow backboard decal which was "Peel n Stick and laminated with mylar" only to find out that apparently you're required to have some sort of advanced surgical skill in order to carve out all the holes for the flashers and rivets out of your $45 investment cause you only get one shot at it.

Ditto -
Looks cool, but was a real pain to put on.

Quoted from nutshell79:

I've been working on a RS in my spare time and thought I would share my progress.

Looks great so far. Going to be a top notch pin when you're done. And it's fun to play.

#10 11 years ago

Looks good Erik, it's gonna be the nicest RS around when your done!

3 weeks later
#11 11 years ago

Got my trim back from Matt at Back Alley. He did a great job on the powder coat safety orange. Highly recommend his work.

What do you guys think of the trim color? Good or bad, you won't hurt my feelings

008.JPG008.JPG 009.JPG009.JPG

#12 11 years ago

Also tried out my new harbor freight buffer, with nice results

007.JPG007.JPG

#13 11 years ago

Looks great Erik! Please tell me you put on the Stern metal leg protector things under the legs in order to prevent decal wrinkling?

Also, which buffer and pads/compound are you using?

#14 11 years ago

Looks great Erik. I like the orange.

#15 11 years ago

Yep, metal leg protectors are in. They work real nice with the new decals. I have some small bubbling by a few bolts, but not to bad

The buffer is 6" made by central machines. I went to sears and bought their buffing compound set. It has a white, black, brown, and red. I tried the white and red combo so far. Kind of seeing what works bets with the under pf metal before I try it on the metal ball guides to get a nice mirror shine like in mike d's monster bash videos.

#16 11 years ago

no, don't like the orange on this game, IMHO.

#17 11 years ago

I like the orange too. Adds some flair to the machine.

#18 11 years ago

I like the orange too. Looks good

#19 11 years ago

looks great, congrats on the decal job, been considering adding some new ones to my backbox.

#20 11 years ago

I think it looks pretty damn good.

#21 11 years ago

Orange looks great. so jelly here...love me some RS

1 month later
#22 11 years ago

Hey guys I know its been awhile since I rapped at you. Its been slow progress for me as work (my real job) has been nuts. But I thought I would post an update.

I love my buffer. The guide rails look so nice when mirror polished. Hope to have this complete for the MGC.

Bottom mechs almost all complete - still need to put red back together - waiting for new eyelids. Also sanded and re-painted the light panel

017.JPG017.JPG 019.JPG019.JPG 020.JPG020.JPG

#23 11 years ago

Few more playfield details for now.

Hope to share more progress by the end of February.

001.JPG001.JPG 003.JPG003.JPG 004.JPG004.JPG

#24 11 years ago

looking good. cant wait to come play it.

#25 11 years ago

Did you polish our ball guides with your HF buffer? Holy mirror finish batman!

#26 11 years ago

Yes, used the HF buffer. the green compound to start, then finished with the white one.

#27 11 years ago

Looks great!!!

You are much further ahead than I am...

We should set your RS and my FT next to each other at MGC just so showcase some local amateur/first real resto jobs

#28 11 years ago

Looking real good Erik, sometimes you can't rush perfection. Wasn't sure how I'd like the orange trim but it looks pretty good. Can't wait to see it once it's all done, then it will make mine look that much worse than yours than it does already.

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from nutshell79:

Also tried out my new harbor freight buffer, with nice results

Which buffer did you get and what kit did you buy from Sears. Love your restore job so far and everything looks really nice.

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

We should set your RS and my FT next to each other at MGC just so showcase some local amateur/first real resto jobs

Sounds good to me!

Quoted from mwong168:

Which buffer did you get and what kit did you buy from Sears. Love your restore job so far and everything looks really nice.

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-buffer-94393.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-quarter-lb-green-polish-compound-96778.html

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-buffing-wheel-and-compound-set/p-00928650000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

2 weeks later
#31 11 years ago

Update: game is pretty much done. Had a switch go out on me that I'll have to replace on the ramp and for some reason Red's eyelids go up to far, but overall the game plays fast! Enjoy the finished pictures. I'm glad this one is over cabinet prep is long and time consuming

100.JPG100.JPG 104.JPG104.JPG 105.JPG105.JPG 106.JPG106.JPG 102.JPG102.JPG

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from nutshell79:

for some reason Red's eyelids go up to far

Too much coffee?

Nice touches on the radio.
The whole pin looks great! Very nice work!

#33 11 years ago

Not a fan of the powdercoat (but to each their own of course! Your game, do what YOU want!) but you did a really nice job! The pics of the polished metal has sealed the deal I will be getting a buffer and doing that to my pins. (Been using an attachment on a drill, but it is not nearly as effective)

#34 11 years ago

Looks great Erik, feels good to be finally done with it I'm sure.

#35 11 years ago

Thanks everyone!

Matt, yes feels good but have a few tweaks to make, plus still might LED the inserts. Is anyone ever really "done"

#36 11 years ago

Looks great Erik .

#37 11 years ago

Turned out nice! Good job!

#38 11 years ago

ERIK >> AWESOME JOB!!!!!!

looking forward to playing it soon!

#39 11 years ago

Thanks Hilton! Looking forward to your final ft pics

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 26.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 63.95
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/road-show-project and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.