7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by CryHavoc
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CryHavoc.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

In the process of trying to diagnose a row of lights that were out on my Road Show, I borrowed a friends Rottendog power driver board. The game originally worked fine except for the row of lights being out. With the new board in, the lights work, so that narrows the problem down to the board. Fine.

Problem is, now when I put the original board back in, the game won't start up. It just buzzes and nothing powers on. I've reseated each connector and checked to make sure they are plugged in correctly about 5 times. All I get is the buzzing sound when I turn it on. I haven't done anything with the board besides take it out and then put it back in. I'm not sure what may have gone wrong in the process.

If it helps, I made a video:

Any ideas/suggestions?

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Ribbon cables all red stripe pin one each end ? No off by a row ?
LTG : )

Just double checked ribbon cables, they are lined up correctly. Not off by a row.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

You turn it off too fast to tell for sure, but it looks like the CPU isn't booting. Remove all connectors going to it except J210. Power on, post a video of the CPU LEDs or tell us if the center LED flashes rapidly.
Lloyd is likely right on. You probably have a ribbon cable installed improperly.
--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://www.LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

Well that seems to have done the trick. I left J210 connected and the center bulb was flashing. Plugged everything back in and turned it on, but this time there was still buzzing but the "BONG!" startup sound started and the dmd started working. After about 5 seconds the buzzing stopped. Turned it off, waited 10 seconds, turned it back on. No buzzing, and this time the balls in the lock were ejected as usually happens when turning it on. I guess the ribbon cable on the CPU side was loose?

See one side of the ribbon cable has a red stripe ? Is it on pin one, each end where it plugs on ? The circuit board has a white silkscreen 1 to help you.

Ah, I see. Yes, the red stripe was on pin one. I believe you were correct about the ribbon cable but I was only reseating one side on the power driver board and I wasn't doing it on the CPU board. It seems to be working fine now.

Thank you both for your help. That was a lot faster responses than I was expecting!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 63.95
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 26.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CryHavoc.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/road-show-power-driver-buzzing?tu=CryHavoc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.