(Topic ID: 337964)

Road show mystery DMD failure

By Enzomare

10 months ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinRetail.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 10 months ago

I'm thinking Ribbon Cable... particularly between the Flipper Driver and the CPU, but it could be any connector off by a pin or a row, or (more rare) a ribbon cable with dodgy connectors.

This is a good time to check the voltages on the dot matrix display. A lot of the display power circuitry on the DMD board gets very 'crunchy' (blackened area of the board, solder connections becoming brittle). Bad power to the actual display itself is something I'd check. Hopefully the machine is in 'poor display' mode when you check the voltages because trying to find a problem that isn't happening right when you are testing is very frustrating!

I've had the power to the display be vibration sensitive... you tap the DMD board and the voltages either disappear or drop enough that the display looks like it's failing (dim). Resoldering a bunch of the solder connections in the display power area of the DMD board fixed the vibration sensitive issue for me.

Check J906 on the flipper driver board to make sure it's still plugged in... that's where the EOS switch inputs come in, but I'm with LTG, it's pretty likely that the orange wire that is common to all the EOS switches is broken right at a solder terminal on one of the EOS switches. Tug on the EOS wires to see if one comes loose.

As for a connection between the different issues and the DMD issues... Well, you removed and replaced the ribbon cables which if some connection on the ribbon cable isn't connecting can cause all kinds of messed up signals, (including display issues, though I've never had a 'failed display' (dim) be due to anything but actual display failure (that's not what your display is presenting as) or dodgy power to the display (which IS what your display issues are presenting as). If you've got compromised power to the display that could be intermittent until you get it fixed.

Let us know what you find.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 63.95
4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 26.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinRetail.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/road-show-mystery-dmd-failure?tu=PinRetail and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.