6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Road show (resized).jpg

#1 6 years ago

Hey there guys i had a few couple of questions. I'm purchasing a road show next week and i wanted to change some of the lights out. Where the map trim is i wanted to replace with red, white, and blue light. Overall i wanted to reduce some of the white light and replace them and make the pin more rainbowy(if that makes sense). When changing out lights is it better to do the whole pinball? or is it ok to just change out whats needed? Is it better to purchase a kit or buy the bulbs separately(cometbulbs). My indy has a pin-bulb kit and it looks great(came with it). I just dont know where to start going about replacing stuff.

Second question is my pop bumpers. I wanted to replace them so they are red,white,blue. Would i need to buy bulbs matching the bumper color or would keeping the clear lights be fine. Also what would you guys recommend as really good replacement bumpers?

Third im about to order a set of mirror blades for PDI. Ive heard really good things about them so i thought i would give them a shot. I've watched videos on installing blades. Do the blades go over top the screws on the side or do i need to unscrew them out? I plan on using double sided tape for the meantime.

Fourth i also wanted to put on Backboard Decals. How hard is it do that and would i need to remove the backboard? Is how do i do that.

Road show (resized).jpgRoad show (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

I can comment on some of your questions:
First, the USA outline. Super simple to change that color. However, if I recall, there may be some clearance issues with the tops of the bulbs in some of those positions because th insert is so narrow. Get some LEDs (I like comet) in the colors you want. They'll be the 555 type. You might want to contact them before you buy to make sure you don't get ones that are too tall. I don't think their "bullet" bulbs will work.

You can definitely change just the ones you want, but you may find that it looks kinda wierd with some LEDs and some incandescent. But not a really big deal at all.

Bumpers: when you say "replace", do you just mean replace the caps? If you're just looking to change the color, that's the way to go. Pinball Life sells replacement caps in all sorts of colors, and they're pretty cheap. You could leave the standard bulbs in there, or you can put colored LEDs in there. Either will be fine.

Come to think of it, Pinball Life sells LEDs that will likely fit around the USA, too. Get it all in one order.

I'd recommend buying a bunch of different LEDs and then you can experiment. You basically can't make a mistake (as long as you buy the correct base). It's mostly personal preference.

Can't really comment on the blades or backboard. No experience there.

Jeff

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from Mrawesome44:

Fourth i also wanted to put on Backboard Decals. How hard is it do that and would i need to remove the backboard? Is how do i do that.

Yes, you need to take the backboard off. It's a pain. More tedious than difficult, but not simple.

Also, in your red, white and blue thoughts, don't forget that the cities, pop bumpers, and targets are keyed white, yellow and orange already. You can probably key them red, white, and blue instead, but there is a strategy aspect of the colors. Changing the bulbs and the pop caps is not difficult. Some of the bulbs are 44/47 and some are 555 style, so you need to get the correct ones.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Yes, you need to take the backboard off. It's a pain. More tedious than difficult, but not simple.
Also, in your red, white and blue thoughts, don't forget that the cities, pop bumpers, and targets are keyed white, yellow and orange already. You can probably key them red, white, and blue instead, but there is a strategy aspect of the colors. Changing the bulbs and the pop caps is not difficult. Some of the bulbs are 44/47 and some are 555 style, so you need to get the correct ones.

Is what kind of bulb the game uses listed in the manual? And is there a color guide for th game that I could use?

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Mrawesome44:

Is what kind of bulb the game uses listed in the manual? And is there a color guide for th game that I could use?

The type of bulb is called out in the manual if I recall. There could be a color guide if I recall.

The backboard isn't bad at all. A connector or two for the flashers and diverters, a screw for a ramp, and 4 more screws from the underside and the backboard pops off.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

The type of bulb is called out in the manual if I recall. There could be a color guide if I recall.
The backboard isn't bad at all. A connector or two for the flashers and diverters, a screw for a ramp, and 4 more screws from the underside and the backboard pops off.

I read the game uses 555-wedge base. I heard that its tight under the map and some dont fit. Anyone have any recommedations and whats the difference between dome, concave, etc lights and what will fit. I was thinking of getting these Ablaze 4-SMD-LED. but im not sure of the difference between these and the 8-smd

#7 6 years ago

Game uses 555 and 44/47 sockets. Best bet is to wait til the game arrives, write down what you want and need, and make the order.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Game uses 555 and 44/47 sockets. Best bet is to wait til the game arrives, write down what you want and need, and make the order.

Well for the most part i have an idea of what i want the pin to look like. I got a color dmd already and mirror blades on there way. I just need to find out the difference in types of light bulbs and what can go in the road show. I'm looking for a color guide and once i find that i can start matching colors and what not. I'm looking for the brightest bulbs i can find

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 37.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits
Electronics
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
Boards
Slap Save Creations
Boards
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods
Pinball Machine
$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/road-show-lights-and-misc-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.