(Topic ID: 225686)

[Solved] Road Show flashers not working; out of ideas

By Gornkleschnitzer

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Well, I just opened up my RS for at least the third time to try and diagnose the non-working flashers, to no avail.

Situations:
-Connection from transformer was possibly flaky; reseated connectors and checked interlock switch. Don't recall previous test results, but flashlamp voltage LED definitely lights up on power driver board now.
-All wiring from playfield to backbox is solid and connected. Flashlamps have +20v, and return wires have continuity to aux driver board.
-Flashlamp circuit fuse is good, and so are the actual flasher bulbs.
-Aux driver board's +12 and +5 voltage status LEDs both lit.
-Ribbon cable from CPU to aux driver is securely connected with the red band on the correct side for both ends.
-Aux driver board is properly grounded.
-Flasher test, and gameplay, both performed with coin door closed.
-Exorcism didn't help.

I genuinely have no idea what else I can test on this thing. Any thoughts? Bad IC somewhere?

#2 5 years ago

What shape are the flasher bulb sockets in ? If the metal fingers that grip the wires on the wedge base of the bulb are spread too far apart or lost tension, the bulbs won't light.

LTG : )

#3 5 years ago

Not sure I follow? All flashers work in test but not during game play? Is that All flasher bulbs? If all I would start at the board signal connector plugs.

#4 5 years ago

The bulbs and sockets seem to be in decent condition, and I tried tweaking them and the wires to no avail. The rest of the game is in very good shape so I can't imagine every single flasher socket is defective.

None of the game's flashers work at all, not even during test mode.

#5 5 years ago

This might sound crazy but did you check the bulbs ? I had a game one time that every bulb was blown - thought no way all could be blown . Checked every thing else - replaced 1 bulb and it worked . replaced the rest and all was fine .

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from Gornkleschnitzer:

The bulbs and sockets seem to be in decent condition,

I'd check the bulbs with a meter to be sure.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'd check the bulbs with a meter to be sure.

Sometimes people just need a good sanity check.

So, my flashers are fixed, and the problem was several freak coincidences stacked on top of what I saw as a very unlikely problem.

All the flashers are daisy chained by one wire (RED/WHT), and I made an important assumption that is true in 99% of cases. I assumed that a set of sockets connected by a wire with good solder joints will, in fact, carry current. I was not expecting a solidly connected wire to apparently have an internal break. The wire running between the left ramp flasher and the rear flashers (a connector that branches off to the others as well) was defective.

"But wait," you might say as you think about this wiring configuration. "If that's the wire that was secretly broken, then why didn't the ramp flasher still work?"

Because the ramp flasher DID work.

I was right when I said that the bulbs and sockets were in good shape; they are all fine and work great. But to check a bulb, I pulled the dome off the Blast Zone flasher and tested it, both visually and with my meter. Nothing wrong with this. However, there is only one flasher on Road Show on which the wire lugs are conveniently exposed for testing, and that's the left ramp flasher. So I tested that one for voltage, and all was fine.

So why didn't that one flasher work, which would have clued me in that there was a connection problem and helped me solve the issue long ago?

BECAUSE THAT ONE BULB WAS MISSING.

It never occurred to me that my flasher circuit could be perfect except that the first bulb was removed and the wire was broken internally after that. The only explanation I can possibly think of is that the game had one working flasher, but that one flasher was disabled to avoid calling attention to the fact that the game had only one working flasher. Last person to work on the machine apparently never thought to check for a wire that wouldn't conduct.

Thanks guys! I would still be in the dark (literally) if I hadn't been pushed to scrutinize the bulbs a little harder.

Edit: Just to clarify for those not familiar with this game, most of this game's flasher bulbs are not directly visible, as they are hidden inside the lenses of the flasher domes. You cannot really tell if a bulb is missing unless you specifically remove the dome.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 37.50
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 26.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 63.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/road-show-flashers-not-working-out-of-ideas and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.