Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by obsessed
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screenshot_2016-05-11-17-26-50-1.png

#1 4 years ago

I just bought a Road Show. It's in great condition overall, but has an issue with the bulldozer arm.

Initially, it was not sensing any hits on the arm. I adjusted the potentiometer on the Eddy board so that the LED just barely went out. The sensing issue was also happening on Red. I adjusted this one, too. Both areas sensing normally now (I think).

Now, the bulldozer arm seems to be behaving oddly. It works well during the Dozer test. The switch test indicates that both the up and down are "closed" when the optos are open. When obstructed, the switches appear "open" on the switch test. I suspect this is normal behavior.

During the game, the Dozer arm seems to sometimes stick between up and down position. It will sometimes raise or lower very slowly and haltingly. Sometimes, during MB, the arm will be down when it's time for a Ted JP, and his mouth is open. Sometimes, balls will get stuck on the arm because it is at just the wrong height. I'm just not sure what's going on. I put a little lubricant on the pivot points of the arm, but it really seems like a board problem rather than a mechanical one. (Otherwise, the test wouldn't work..?). Any ideas? I will link to some videos.

#2 4 years ago

Just my .02 but sounds like you are losing power. Have you re-pinned your 12v/5v connectors?

#3 4 years ago

Go into switch test. Switch levels. Verify the three (1 Red, 2 Ted) proximity sensors are open. Now enter switch edges and place a ball in front of red. Switch should toggle. Repeat for in front of dozer blade and behind dozer blade. Do the switches all transition with the presence of the ball?

#4 4 years ago

accidental dupe-ignore

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from jwwhite15:

Just my .02 but sounds like you are losing power. Have you re-pinned your 12v/5v connectors?

I just got the game, haven't done anything significant to it. I wouldn't really know where to begin to do this. If you folks really think this is critical, I can look into it.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

Go into switch test. Switch levels. Verify the three (1 Red, 2 Ted) proximity sensors are open. Now enter switch edges and place a ball in front of red. Switch should toggle. Repeat for in front of dozer blade and behind dozer blade. Do the switches all transition with the presence of the ball?

I did this. It seems that all 3 proximity sensors are now working perfectly.

Is it possible that this is normal? I don't know the game very well. During Multiball, the Dozer arm goes up, you hit into Ted's mouth, does the arm very gradually fall? Like a timed thing, perhaps? I notice if you hit the Dozer arm 5-6 times, it raises back up. I'll link to another longer video....is this normal or abnormal? If abnormal, ideas to fix?

#7 4 years ago

This is not normal.

#8 4 years ago

Dozer arm up after the 2nd ball locks putting Ted to sleep. Shoot it in his mouth to start multiball. During multiball the jackpots alternate between Ted and Red, always starting on Ted. The dozer arm should move up for 3 (ish) seconds, then down for 3, up for 3, etc, until you make it in Ted's mouth scoring the first jackpot. Then the blade arm stays down and you have to hit Red in the face for the 2nd jackpot. Then its back to Ted with the dozer moving/up down in 3 second increments. Repeat until 2 balls drain.

#9 4 years ago

Any ideas of how to proceed? Rebuild the board that controls the motor? New motor?

#10 4 years ago

Its more than likely the blade opto board . Which is remade by glm

#12 4 years ago

Screenshot_2016-05-11-17-26-50-1.png

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Its more than likely the blade opto board . Which is remade by glm

Thanks, I'll order one.

However, isn't this unlikely to be the problem since it passes the switch test and the Dozer test? It seems that the optos are working fine...did you see that test video? I think that shows it working well.

#14 4 years ago

Russell, sadly there isn't a single "this is the problem" that anyone can give you.

What's interesting, though not uncommon, is the dozer works in test mode but not reliably during gameplay. That's certainly telling us something --- but I don't know what.

I'd start by going back into the test with the dozer going up/down and bang on the play field with the palm of your hand --- a bit below the dozer. Does that cause the test to stop working well or the up/down indicators to quickly go on/off? I've had great success finding the existence of poor solder connections or bad connectors with this approach. It doesn't tell you where the problem is, but it can help identify the type of problem.

You could also run the dozer test with the play field up and shake the wires going to the dozer boards.

I'm also wondering if you have a switch matrix problem. The switch matrix might read correctly (showing the blade is up or down) in the test mode when nothing else is happening, but phantom switches can trigger if you have a matrix problem. I'd go into the switch matrix test and manually trigger each switch in the associated rows/columns of the up and down opto. Ensure that only that switch registers and no others (ghost switches). The switch matrix is on page 147 of the manual. Dozer down is 12 and Dozer up is 14. This means you should test all the switches in column 1, row 2 and row 4. Again, make sure only a single switch registers when you activate a switch.

Also, the dozer motor gets power from J118 on the driver board in the backbox. You might check out that connector --- is it seated well? You could also disconnect it and reconnect it, which cleans the connectors. J126 on the driver board has the ground for the dozer motor, you i'd suggest checking out this connector also.

As you can see, solving these problems is typically "educated" trial and error. I got the connector info above from page 3-26 of the manual.

Good luck!

... Altan

Don't miss the "You should be playing Road Show" thread. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-your-not-playing-road-show-you-are-missing-out

#15 4 years ago

Wow, thanks. That gives me a good place to start.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

And isn't this unlikely to be the problem since it passes the switch test and the Dozer test? It seems that the optos are working fine...did you see that test video? I think that shows it working well.

Actually its been common that it works in test but acts up in gameplay.. it cld be many things but alot of these older components are finally getting flakey after 20-25 years .if you can solder take the board out and reheat/resolder the parts on the board. The game also has a very strong shaker motor that can make things very flakey .

#17 4 years ago

Yeah, I'm always shocked by how powerful the shaker is...

#18 4 years ago

I received my replacement Opto board from Marco. Installed it. Took 5 minutes. The game works perfectly now. Quick and easy fix, cost $30.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

I received my replacement Opto board from Marco. Installed it. Took 5 minutes. The game works perfectly now. Quick and easy fix, cost $30.

I figured that is what it was ...glad its fixed

#20 4 years ago

Thanks, I appreciate all of the help from fellow Pinsiders.

It was interesting to me that the Opto board seemed to completely pass all of the tests, but was still clearly the problem. Filing that away...

3 years later
#21 1 year ago

I know this is an old thread, but it was incredibly helpful. I had two issues with the dozer. First, the sensor in front of teds mouth needed adjusting. Second, I had a loose wire in the connector plugged into the opto blade board. I knew something was wrong by going into switch test mode and jiggling the wires. Sure enough it was causing the dozer up switch to register. It worked in test mode, but in game mode, the game thought the dozer was up, when in fact it was down so I could not start mb.

All good now. Thanks again to all those who contributed to this thread.

1 year later
#22 39 days ago

This thread also helped me today. I looked for a Blade opto interrupter board but they are sold out everywhere. I think Great Lakes Modular is out of business right? Anyway I decided to re flow solder on all the board connections and it works fine now.

#23 39 days ago

Love it when an old thread helps out a Pinsider. Knock on wood, I haven’t had an opto board issue like this. Getting harder and harder to get some parts. Based on the crazy prices pins “seem” to be going for RS should sell for $7500 to 9k . Not parting with mine though, great game

1 month later
#24 3 days ago

This is a great forum and posts about this Road Show are very helpful. I would have never solved this problem without these posts. I found a second switch that was activating the bulldozer switch at the same time. Switch #71 Right Ramp Ener to be precise. Funny thing is I thought I tested all the switches but apparently missed this one. I unplugged this switch and played a game to see if bulldozer would work and it did without problems. Now all I have to do is repair this switch. Thanks for the helpful posts.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 499.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside