You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170307_193712 (resized).jpg
20170307_193752 (resized).jpg
20170306_204932 (resized).jpg
20170306_205006 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lavmech1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I had the playfield of my Road Show up to look at some bulbs (with the power off). When I closed everything up and switched on the machine I though I heard a coil lock on. I found the right rear diverter coil locked on and smelled burned. I've only owned this game for a couple of days so I don't know the machine's history. The closer I look at it though, the worse it seems. It's in rougher shape than I thought and now this happens for no apparent reason. Not cool. I need some help.

I looked for the transistor for this coil Q64 I think. Not burned up visibly. Not sure if it's worth trying to test that first. No voltage coming from the pin for the solenoid at the MPU connection J130 wire 6. There's about 71 volts coming into the solenoid plug (which I have disconnected to prevent locking it on-see the pic). The coil looks pretty bad. Lots of corrosion on this game. Could it be shorted internally or something? Can coils lock on when they fail? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

20170306_205006 (resized).jpg20170306_205006 (resized).jpg
20170306_204932 (resized).jpg20170306_204932 (resized).jpg

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Use your DMM and test for continuity from suspect transistor tab to ground...if you get a beep then the transistor is bad. That transistor and it corresponding pre driver should be replaced.
Some people will replace the coil and diode as well...

Great, that's easier than I thought on testing the transistor. I'll do that this morning. Also, there is NO diode on the coil. I saw that another diverter coil also had no diode. Should ALL coils have a diode as a rule?

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

The tab of Q64 -a TIP36c- is already conected to GND so it will beep anyway.
To test this transistor for a short, unplug J130 and measure continuity from GND to J130-6 / J131-1

Ahh, that would explain why I got continuity to ground from the tab of all of the large transistors (Q64,66,68,70,76,78,80). I'll have to test it the other way after work this afternoon. Thanks!

#7 7 years ago

There is no continuity from ground (i used the braided ground wire in backbox) to any of the pins on J130 or J131. I checked at both the plug and the header because I wasn't sure which side you meant. So, if not a bad transistor should I look back at the coil next?

#8 7 years ago

So, I think I'm making progress. No short to ground along the wiring harness and the transistors test ok. But the coil terminals themselves looked awfully close to the bracket it's held in. When I repositioned the coil lugs AWAY from the metal bracket the problem disappears! If I rotate the coil to where it touches the bracket I get either a distinct hum from something nearby or I get the hum AND the locked on coil. So, the coil is grounding out on it's own bracket. Problem now is I can't see how the coil is supposed to be other than the way it is now. It looks like it's mounted the way the bracket intends but how can this be if it's going to be so close to grounding out?!? I'll include pics of the coil when it's ok and when it shorts out. Maybe its in the bracket backwards?

20170307_193752 (resized).jpg20170307_193752 (resized).jpg

20170307_193712 (resized).jpg20170307_193712 (resized).jpg

#10 7 years ago

Awesome. Yes, I just found the diagram in the book. Now I'm wondering do I have to reverse the wires when I rotate the coil so it pulls the right direction?

#12 7 years ago

All fixed. Turned the coil around. Working perfect and no chance of shorting out against the bracket. I guess the moral of the story, as always, is to check the obvious things first. The problem was right there staring me in the face the whole time!!! Thanks to everyone who helped out!!!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 63.95
$ 26.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lavmech1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/road-show-diverter-coil-locked-on?tu=lavmech1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.