(Topic ID: 83745)

ROAD SHOW CLUB (Hard hats required on site)

By webdiddy

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,082 posts
  • 463 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 days ago by PPS
  • Topic is favorited by 186 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

36-50024 (resized).jpg
IMG_2974 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2975 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2973 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2976 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0854 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0853 (resized).jpeg
20240318_161830 (resized).jpg
roadshow 4 (resized).jpg
roadshow 3 (resized).jpg
roadshow 2 (resized).jpg
Roadshow 1 (resized).jpg
Road show (resized).jpg
red's head (resized).png
20210304_193816 (resized).jpg
IMG_0519 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jmckune.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2870 2 years ago

When dealing with the dozer and teds eddy board. Is it the eddy sensor itself or the driver board that is usually flaky and needs to be replaced? I adjusted to potentiometer on my new game and it started detecting dozer hits. Mid game the dozer started going up and down randomly so I’m getting it’s related to the eddy sensor as the initial adjustment is what stopped it doing that in the first place.

#2872 2 years ago
Quoted from MMGB:

It’s the eddy sensor board that’s going out of adjustment.

The one with the light on it or the thin one directly in front of Ted?

#2889 2 years ago
Quoted from all_pinball:

I have an issue with the bulldozer.
Once I start multiball the bulldozer goes down very slowly. (barely moves at all)
After checking the optos, I figured that the lower opto didn't work in gameplay, but it registered in the switch test without any issues.
After I replaced both optos, none of the two work anymore.
(I soldered them in like the old ones, to make sure that they are not backwards.)
Does anybody have an idea what could be wrong?
Thanks

Either you lifted the traces or you did indeed install them backwards. Use a DMM to determine if there is power at the opto pads on the board

For what it’s worth, my dozer down opto is not working and the dozer keeps running trying to find the down position to no avail until the ball goes into play

#2890 2 years ago

Red is pretty much rebuilt. I noticed the centering bar isn’t doing much centering when she looks one way. Is it just worn out and in need of replacement? Can I take it out and try to flatten it?

2D9D0B96-F51A-4C3F-8A6F-D8D68DDE9D75 (resized).jpeg2D9D0B96-F51A-4C3F-8A6F-D8D68DDE9D75 (resized).jpeg
#2899 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveTheTrain:

It could be the crank that's worn. I'd check that.
Pretty sure the bar is supposed to be bent.

I replaced the crank and crank liner. It was actually the eyelets for the centering bar that were worn. I crimped those in and eyes are centering now

#2907 2 years ago

Working on ripping this thing apart to get to Ted. I’m getting close to the part where I’m not sure what to do next. Obviously that other ramp is gonna have to come out. Are the bulldozer arms attached to the Ted bracket? If so I’m not sure how I’m gonna get Ted out as it doesn’t look like they unscrew from what I can see so far and they also won’t fit below the playfield.

444B7D63-137D-401F-9784-AC6610ACA4F1 (resized).jpeg444B7D63-137D-401F-9784-AC6610ACA4F1 (resized).jpegD6FEA5F8-E16F-4211-9BD6-F063C3BA2759 (resized).jpegD6FEA5F8-E16F-4211-9BD6-F063C3BA2759 (resized).jpeg
#2910 2 years ago

Ted has been successfully extracted and the entire playfield cleaned. Ready for the rebuild of the heads and new rubber throughout. This game will look good when finished

596F9C3F-801F-4941-B9B4-D036FCD9A131 (resized).jpeg596F9C3F-801F-4941-B9B4-D036FCD9A131 (resized).jpeg
#2912 2 years ago
Quoted from yemtrader:

Hi all,
New Roadshow owner here, first time owning a pin. Can someone tell me where the clear plastic piece below is located on the playfield? I keep looking but can't seem to find where it goes?
Thanks,
Nick
[quoted image]

Looks like the piece that sits on top of Teds bulldozer

#2914 2 years ago
Quoted from yemtrader:

Thanks I really appreciate the reply. My bulldozer doesn't have any screw holes to attach it so I'm guessing maybe my bulldozer is a reproduction or the piece was never attached to the original bulldozer?

Not sure, my game is apart right now getting fixed up but this is what it looks like

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
1 week later
#2930 2 years ago

Anyone have any ideas or good place for me to look on this issue? https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/road-show-dozer-issue-1

#2933 2 years ago
Quoted from CaptainCaverne:

As you have pointed out in your thread, checking/clearing the wire mess you found is the first step. If the issue is still there, check the wiring (again) and the connectors, from the power driver board all the way to the opto board.
For what its worth, I had the following issue with the blade : randomly during plays, the blade was moving up and down, often several times in a row. And also randomly, after locking the balls, the blade was not raising at all, making it impossible to start the multiball.
The IDC connector was the culprit : in switch edges test, merely touching the connector was closing the dozer up opto. A brand new molex connector fixed this.

Are you referring to the connector that directly attaches to the dozer opto or somewhere else? I feel it’s likely the mess of wires as the opto board is slightly warm to the touch which to me indicates power is definitely making it to it. If sorting that mess of wires doesn’t do anything I will be shocked.

#2936 2 years ago

Oops, sorry, yes, I was talking about the idc connector which attaches to the dozer opto.

I don’t think it’s that anymore. Completely unplugged the switch matrix from CPU and dozer down was still reporting closed

10E23537-C429-4D71-9F61-95FE1CDE1F88 (resized).jpeg10E23537-C429-4D71-9F61-95FE1CDE1F88 (resized).jpeg
#2937 2 years ago

Can someone take a picture of their connector at J118 on the power driver? The schematic is saying that ground comes from connector J118 pin 3. That connector was very loose prior to me removing the CPU board. It appears to have been redone and I think possibly done incorrectly, mine is showing what appears to be a black ground wire in pin 2 at J118 and a grey-yellow in pin 3

#2940 2 years ago

Thanks guys. That wasn’t it. I saw the 4 and it looked like a 1

#2951 2 years ago

Was able to sort out the dozer issue which means I now have a 100% RS! Can’t believe I didn’t seek one of these out before. Seriously fun!

#2953 2 years ago
Quoted from MyParagon1979:

I just saw a local road show. Would be my second machine. Ted and Red totally rebuilt, he changed the gears from plastic to metal, mechanically it looks great. Tiny playfield wear by the city pop out. Cabinet with mild wear. Only question, he said occasional fuse will blow????? I didn’t ask details, didn’t sound like a regular issue. I saw one connector with minimal burn. We agreed $4,300. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Would need more info to be of any help. Which fuse would be a good starting point

#2957 2 years ago

Thanks!
This is all great feedback.
I’ll ask him about the fuse situation today.
He seems a really cool guy, we agreed on price, and I’ll pick up next weekend. He took off the listing and said if I have second thoughts no worries, haven’t paid him yet. Solid dude!
How about the Ted rebuild? He took off all the ramps to get him out, then rebuilt Ted with metal gears to remove the plastic. All solenoids replaced. I know this is a difficult question, but what’s that worth? I’m figuring that’s huge for a Road Show. Hours and hours of work. Is $4,300 in this current market a fair price? With moderate cabinet wear.

That seems like a fair price. Currently see 3 on here and cheapest one is 4300. Others are 4500 and 9500 though I doubt the 9500 sells for that. I’m not sure what metal parts he added to Ted unless you’re talking about the sector gear under the playfield. I just rebuilt Red and Ted, taking apart was a lot slower than putting it back together. Overall not too terrible if you were to have to do it at some point.

1 week later
#2978 2 years ago

Got all the issues on mine sorted except one last thing. The wig wag lights on both ramps are activating and deactivating at the correct times, but instead of flashing, they stay lit solid the entire time they are active. Would the problem be the wig wag board(s)?

#3010 2 years ago

Can someone explain the logic of the wig wag circuits? On mine, both bridge out lights turn on and off at the correct time but instead of alternating as expected, both sides stay illuminated the entire time the lamps are active

#3024 2 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

Did some airbrushing on the faded bits. It's not perfect but I think it looks better.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

It looks really good! Not sure if you did on purpose but on the front behind the road show sign those mountains were actually a dark blue/grey originally. Looks good either way though!

#3026 2 years ago

Any advice on how to get an auto eddy board?

Buy it. They are on Marco and likely elsewhere

Edit just looked. Can’t find the auto one but pinball life has new ones. I haven’t had any problems with the originals so I wouldn’t worry about getting the auto ones

#3028 2 years ago

Marcos is out of stock.
Are all the new eddy boards auto adjusting?
The only I can find are in Australia and UK.

https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-eddy-sensor-board-assembly.html

It is not auto adjusting but should be more reliable than the original if yours are giving you serious problems staying in adjustment

#3040 2 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

My Red has become a ventriloquist.
When the game first boots up and you start a game the jaw moves fine but stops moving partway through the game.
In test close works but not open. Any ideas?

If it works fine at first and then stops working, you likely need a new motor.

#3042 2 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

Crap! In test mode you can see the mouth trying to close, even when it's already closed. It just won't open.
Another thing to add to my next Marco order I guess.

At least they are cheap! Less than $50

#3045 2 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

Yes I have. During test mode I can open the mouth manually and then it will close automatically as part of the test, but won't reopen. Otherwise I can move the jaw freely with no binding or anything like that.

When it’s working at first, do the movements seem slow and spongey or very fast and snappy? Both Red and Ted on my game have a very snappy open close motion on their mouths when taking.

1 week later
#3071 2 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

I have never seen a RoadShow apron NOT show rust and black paint chiping off.

Well I can’t verify this is the original one, but mine looks very very good.

471A03A4-9CFB-4381-B20C-6F7230E625E5 (resized).jpeg471A03A4-9CFB-4381-B20C-6F7230E625E5 (resized).jpegE01486DA-9253-4A20-8F3F-EB0C188C63B2 (resized).jpegE01486DA-9253-4A20-8F3F-EB0C188C63B2 (resized).jpeg
#3076 2 years ago
Quoted from BRW84:

This thing is cleaning up nicely! I'm waiting on a new battery holder from Marco (the batteries had corroded horribly, but thankfully they were on a stand-off board). However, I tried starting a game tonight, and to my amazement, it actually sort of works! The shooter lane kickout and Bob's Bunker kickout aren't 100% and I'm sure there's a bunch of other stuff I'll find, but this may not be as rough of a job as I initially thought.
[quoted image]

OCD kicked in, your pop bumper caps are in the wrong position, they all need to move 1 spot clockwise. They match up with the skirt colors. I thought mine was gonna be bad to get going. Worst part is getting to Ted because every ramp has to come off to do it easily.

#3089 2 years ago
Quoted from anynamewilldo:

I"m having the stuck ball below the mini flipper problem also. Temporary fix has been a having a rubber band around the posts and rubbers.

Take a picture of that area. I’d be willing to bet the rubbers are incorrect

#3091 2 years ago

lol. new rubber. I'm a Oscar Madison. Getting the flipper rubber on is a $%$#.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Those two posts below have the incorrect rubber on. It’s supposed to look like this.

#3093 2 years ago

Thanks
I replaced the rubbers with what sizes was already on the game. At least my brain worked out what should be there using the rubber band.

Ha must be a common mistake. I had a Roadshow that was separate from the one pictured and it was put out for public play, after a couple of hours someone informed me of a stuck ball and I saw it sitting in that same spot with the same incorrect rubber placement. Really import to visualize ball paths when placing rubber to verify what was there before was correct or not. In this case, as you found out, the 4 smaller rings essentially created a hole for a ball to wedge into in a spot that should have been a bouncy guide! Glad that’s what it was though as it’s an easy fix!

2 weeks later
#3108 2 years ago
Quoted from madamyates:

Been noticing incessant clicking noises when Red and Ted move their eyes. They seem to function as normal but this is a new sound. Any thoughts on what could be causing it?

Like multiple clicks per eye turn or just once per turn? You might hear a click when they turn from the metal rod being pulled into the solenoid and hitting the stop.

#3110 1 year ago

What’s the best way to loosen the one way gate on the shooter lane? Most of the time when the ball is plunged, the gate sticks in the up position until a pop bumper is activated. This is of course annoying as an attempt at a soft plunge skill shot instead of going to the flipper will just roll back to the shooter again.

1 week later
#3126 1 year ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

Just got a Roadshow into my shop for repairs. Straight out of a crate from France. Yay.
I changed the power jumpers to USA style, swapped out the crusted battery board for a new one, looked over all the coils and fuses, and gave it a good shop vac. To my surprise, the machine boots. French. Haha. Changed the dip switches to USA and powered up again. Everything seems fine. Missing a mini post next to the Dozer, and Ted isnt registering dozer hits so I'll take a look at the eddy boards today.
Biggest annoyance Im having right now is the coin door buttons. The left black (escape) button isnt working. So I can get into tests but I can't back out without power cycling. Anyone have any tips to help get this button working again? [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Take a picture underneath those buttons of the wires. One is likely broken or in wrong place if only one button isn’t working

1 week later
#3146 1 year ago

The mini solenoid is going up and down with the face off, but not working with the face on.

Are you using screws that are too long? The face cover shouldn’t touch any moving parts

#3149 1 year ago

That itty bitty white plastic on the left is broken.
[quoted image]

You really don’t need the white plastic. If it’s causing a hang up, remove the one

#3156 1 year ago

Do the plastic pieces bend over time, on the right side connections? Causing more friction?

If they are in correctly there shouldn’t be any friction. The piece looks like it’s a guide or spacer. If I remember correctly, the white piece provides a smooth area for the eyelids to rotate it looked like possibly in your picture that the one side wasn’t pushed into the bracket all the way which may be causing it to squeeze the eyelid.

#3167 1 year ago
Quoted from jdzwir123:

I’m not sure if this has been covered but I seem to be missing the farthest right line of dots on the Dmd. It doesn’t really bother me but I was wondering if there was a way to shrink the useable area of the Dmd to start on the second from the left and end on the second line on the right?
Thank you in advance

Mine is currently like this as well but goes in and out. I need to pull display and resolder the last connection point and you likely need to as well

1 month later
#3204 1 year ago
Quoted from madamyates:

Anyone ever experience an issue where Red’s shot triggers spontaneously? Doesn’t happen all the time but it’s super annoying.

Eddy sensor likely on very edge of adjustment and specific vibration is enough to knock it out so it triggers

#3219 1 year ago
Quoted from SimplePin:

Has anyone had this issue? It randomly occurs about 1 in 6 times when Ted goes to sleep. Very annoying and ruins what could haver been an otherwise high scoring game.

No, what’s likely happening is one or both of your dozer optos are flakey or the connection to the motor is flaky. They only reason the dozer blade wouldn’t be signaled to move is both dozer optos showing open (aka dead no read between each other).

#3221 1 year ago
Quoted from SimplePin:

Thanks for the ideas. I ran the Dozer test and it works as expected. Blade goes up and down, optos register on the DMD. The Dozer not going up only happens when Ted goes to sleep. Not sure what else is associated with that mode that may not be triggering the up. Drain the ball and usually will go up at that point. Strange.

This can occur intermittently which means it could function properly in test but not during gameplay with the various vibrations. The only things that need to happen for the dozer to move up are 1. Two balls detected in ball lock area when lock is lit. 2. Both dozer optos registering strongly in test and gameplay where there may be other vibrations (during second ball lock shaker motor activates which could be triggering the bad intermittent connection that would not trigger in other parts of gameplay). And 3. The dozer blade motor must have a solid connection to power so that the drive transistor can connect and signal the motor to activate.

#3224 1 year ago
Quoted from clempo:

Does it try to open and does not stick or it does not open at all?
In the first case, your linkage is probably broken and the second case your coil has an issue.

Or missing centering flange and coil plunger hitting wooden base

#3226 1 year ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

When the vertical coil fires to close the eyelids the linkage gets stuck at the very bottom of the stroke. The horizontal coil fires correctly but the linkage is already stuck.
When manually pressing the assembly with my fingers gently it works properly. But if I simulate the coil pulling it down to the bottom it catches on something. It is not snagged on the wood or the horizontal linkage. Im not sure where its hanging up.
Maybe a stronger spring would do the trick?

Too strong of a spring can cause binding as the vertical linkage opens the eyelids. After that coil fires, the horizontal coil moves forward as it is spring loaded to catch the eyelids to prevent them from closing. When the horizontal coil fires, it unlatches the vertical plunger which closes the eyelids. Make sure you have the correct springs on both vertical and horizontal

Either you have the wrong springs or you have the linkages or coils put on incorrectly. The horizontal coil fires to release the eyelids. The vertical coil fires to open the eyelids

#3231 1 year ago

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/10-424
Check manual but I believe 4 of these will get you taken care of

#3241 1 year ago
Quoted from pudealee:

Got my new-to-me RS in the house, and up and running. It needs a few minor tweaks, but overall is a fine looking machine.
The diverter behind Red’s head may not be opening up completely, as the ball will bounce back when attempting to pass through. Any advice?
Looking forward to adding some side blades, new code, and such.
[quoted image]

When I got mine, both of the spring pins on the end of the plunger that attach it to the diverter were broken, this would cause it to open slightly but not enough to really do anything

#3247 1 year ago
Quoted from pudealee:

Just got my RS a few days ago. I’m going to post a few minor hiccups before I tackle the harder stuff. I’ve been able to find a few fixes already in this group.
When doing Flying Rocks and hitting Ted’s head, the ball doesn’t roll back down the ramp. Not sure if the round bumper thing has hardened, or if the switch blade is causing the ball to get stuck. Here’s a pic of my setup.
[quoted image]

Bend the switch a little bit

#3249 1 year ago
Quoted from HIPPY:

I am doing a playfield swap. Does anyone know where the long springs hook up in Teds face?they aare both hanging inside his head.

There are only 4 springs related to the head mechanisms, 1 for eyes open on vertical coil, 1 for horizontal coil which allows eyes to close, and two that goes from the back of the plastic jaw to the scoop to use as a pivot point which should make the jaw be open when there is no motor attached. There is also a “spring bar” which controls eye centering but it is a thin metal rod and not a traditional spring

You can see the edge of the 2 springs I think you’re talking about in this photo

99242EB8-1165-4C3D-A986-90C330EC22EB (resized).jpeg99242EB8-1165-4C3D-A986-90C330EC22EB (resized).jpeg
#3253 1 year ago
Quoted from monkfe:

looks like you're missing your centering flange...
edit, I see it but I think it goes on the bottom of the coil no?

I can’t remember if it was Red or Ted on mine, but one of them had the vertical coil replaced that had built in thinner opening on both sides that wouldn’t allow the centering flange to go in, I’m thinking Red. The thinner opening did exactly what the centering flange does and hasn’t caused problems so I didn’t bother replacing the coil.

#3275 1 year ago
Quoted from pudealee:

Lhyrgoif when you say IC would that be like the U20 on the CPU board? That's the chip mentioned on the switch matrix.

Yes

#3287 1 year ago
Quoted from pudealee:

Yes - extras.
My Red has a spot. My Ted doesn't. I'll have to put one there. Can somebody post a pic of the Red spot? I can see it somewhat on ipdb.org, but would love to one from the group here.

Here is a pic from when I was still working on mine. Teds spotlight attaches to the crossover wireform

27B9160C-D1F4-4E5A-AB0C-46E782DCBCE7 (resized).jpeg27B9160C-D1F4-4E5A-AB0C-46E782DCBCE7 (resized).jpeg
#3290 1 year ago
Quoted from pudealee:

Thanks Jmckune. I suppose I can wire it into any nearby GI light. There was no evidence of a spot being there when got the machine. But it sure needs one there!

It has a connector. If you look carefully at my pic there is an insulated black wire that goes back towards the flying rocks ramp and connects there

#3302 1 year ago
Quoted from OTRChief:

Is the plastic behind the radio station targets clear or does it have a design on it?

Mine is clear

#3303 1 year ago

I’m other news, I finally got rid of the horrendous purple lights someone installed around the map and installed cliffys for start city and blast zone repair. I also put on new dozer decals and got rid of the blue flashers that were installed for some reason and replaced with white.

39A5D7AC-E362-41E2-836E-E415F5EF2932 (resized).jpeg39A5D7AC-E362-41E2-836E-E415F5EF2932 (resized).jpeg
#3305 1 year ago
Quoted from pudealee:

For those of you that have a decal on your backboard, I need some advice. I haven't looked closely to my backboard yet, but are the flashers removable from the back side or front side of the backboard to allow for a simple install of the decal?
I have applied decals to arcade cabs where I would install over the empty button holes, then make an X with an X-Acto knife and folded the decal inward. Is it pretty much the same for the flashers?
Finally, I've asked the supplier of my decal for advice, but do you suggest a dry or wet installation?

Mine was already there when I got it, so no help there. The flasher domes can be twisted counterclockwise slightly and will be removable sockets can then be removed from the back. You may want to cut the shape of the hole vs an x to avoid wrinkles when you put flasher back in

#3310 1 year ago

I have a question about the bridge out lights. On my machine, both of them turn on and off at the appropriate times, but instead of doing the wig wag like they are supposed to, both LEDs stay on when active. This goes for both left and right. Is this likely something on the wig wag boards or elsewhere?

#3319 1 year ago

If it was one board, i would have suspected the LM555, but both of them ?? What happens if you unplug one of them ?

If I unplug them individually, both of them still have both sides illuminated independently of each other. So even with one side unplugged and off, the other side remains to have both lights stay illumined when it is on.
It looks like there is an LM555CN on both of those boards and it’s purpose seems to match up with controlling the pattern of lights. This game was early production so it’s possible both of them were in a bad batch I guess?

1 month later
#3353 1 year ago
Quoted from pudealee:

Tech Help.
I was in the process of replacing the two left out-lane bulbs on my Road Show. I had recently bought a “flipped” game where cheap LEDs had been used. I was replacing them with standard incandescent 47s until I redo the entire machine. I powered off the machine, replaced the bulbs and powered back on. One of the bulbs was not lighting. I figured I didn’t seat it well. When I attempted to seat it again (with power on), poof – the entire left GI went out.
I looked under the playfield and to my untrained eye there is nothing anywhere near the socket that would have caused a short. Nothing is touching either socket in the out-lane other than the wires that feed them. I would appreciate any ideas on how to proceed.

It could be the result of a poor socket connection arching inside of the base. Also check to make sure the two spades where the wires are soldered are not making direct contact

1 month later
#3440 1 year ago
Quoted from zh2oson:

Ted's bulldozer isn't lifting to start multiball.
It works fine in test mode.
Thoughts?

When you say works fine do you mean the motor moves or do you mean the motor moved and the optos trigger on and off correctly? If the game is not correctly indicating up down on the optos, the bulldozer won’t move

1 week later
#3454 1 year ago
Quoted from G35R6:

This may also be related. About a month ago I started having constant resets when pressing both flippers simultaneously. This was fixed (band-aided) by the addition of the No-More-Reset board.

The real fix is likely replacing the power capacitors and ensuring that you ribbon cables + other power connections on the power driver are solid with no cold solder joints and reseating or in some cases repinning connectors.

1 week later
#3460 1 year ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

My extra ball light in the spinner lane flashes very dim when it shouldn't be lit.
When I actually light it, it's very bright. Tried changing the LED bulb with no change.
Ideas?

Are you using a non ghosting bulb?

#3462 1 year ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

No, I'm not. But all of the inserts have regular LEDs and they're not having issues. Just that one.

That’s the issue then. The matrix has constant trickle voltage due to being wired as a matrix. Not enough to light incandescent but enough for led. Each game is random in where it manifests the ghosting with regular SMD. you might even find that if you change just the lamp for the lock, another bulb may start to ghost.

1 month later
#3498 1 year ago
Quoted from PTHermes:

I just rebuilt both heads and now Red has very loud eyes, can hear them even with the glass on. By loud, I mean you can hear the solenoids buzzing, not clicking or hammering. Does this mean I need new Solenoids, or is there something I should try to adjust?

Double check to make sure everything lined up correctly. I hear clicks on mine but no buzzing. Maybe spring bar was placed wrong or the eyes hooked in wrong?

4 weeks later
#3583 1 year ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

I have some of those. They push in from the outside of the heads
You’d think with a few hundred pictures I’d be covered but no. What goes in the circled part here?[quoted image]

Apparently nothing.

AA74A4E7-A617-4698-936E-EEE37D2FCB13 (resized).jpegAA74A4E7-A617-4698-936E-EEE37D2FCB13 (resized).jpeg
2 months later
#3627 1 year ago
Quoted from Andypc:

I am having a problem the sound on my Roadshow. It starts fine, but after about 5 games or so the sound effects / voices start dropping out and it's only playing the music. The sound will eventually cut out completely. I tried reseating the ribbon cables, but that doesn't seem to have solved the problem as it's just cut out again.

Try reflowing the pins that those ribbon cables plug into. They’re very small so be careful not to bridge 2 pins. But that cable is where the sound data comes from.

3 weeks later
#3646 11 months ago
Quoted from ray3127:

Thank you; I was under the impression that this was only to be used when damage already exists. From Cliffy's site:
"The Blasting Zone repair kit is intended ONLY for use on games with wood loss. It will not fit on games without damage, unless you are willing to remove some wood at the back of the post hole"
So, just leave well enough alone with that? Any other thoughts?

Yes, leave it alone. It’s for games where the post nearest the start city scoop has been blasted off from repeated hits combined with very thin wood.

2 weeks later
#3652 10 months ago
Quoted from Deejmer:

yes, I ran that test as well with the coin door switch depressed. The selenoid did not fire as it should.

Either you had a wire break off of that
Solenoid or you have multiple solenoids not working and have a fuse blown.

1 month later
#3688 9 months ago
Quoted from Jwf_pinball:

Ok, as an update my multimeter leads came in this evening. I test 13.9v between pins 1 and 2 for the 12v line on the interrupt board. LED transmitters are still lit as far as my cell phone camera can see.
I don't think I'm testing diodes correctly as I can't get beep test from leg to leg but do have continuity between the discharge side of both diodes which is correct.
No beep in between the column and rows of the connector either.

Check the diodes on the other switches in the row or column that both optos are in. Mine had a janky connection to a switch from the coin door interface board that caused both to show open

1 week later
#3707 8 months ago
Quoted from DaveTheTrain:

The thing is it goes into the multiball start state, just doesn't lift the blade. So you're stuck and can't do anything else except reset the game .

So Ted goes to sleep but dozer blade doesn’t raise?

#3713 8 months ago
Quoted from ProjektPat:

After years and years of searching and saving I finally joined the club!
Grabbed a game for 4k. Everything works just needs to be shopped. Needs LEDs and rubbers and just to be cleaned. A few old sticky switches but all around it plays good.
One question, Ted doesn’t look to the right, what could be a possible cause/fix

Likely a broken wire for the eyes right coil inside the head. The coils are very small and the lugs are often broken if they haven’t been replaced

#3715 8 months ago
Quoted from ProjektPat:

oh no does this mean I have to disassemble the head

Yes. And to do so, every ramp and habitrail has to come out. It’s kind of a pain. But worth it. If you do it, I would fully rebuild Ted so that you don’t have to take apart again. Red is much easier to access.

#3717 8 months ago
Quoted from ProjektPat:

Do I need any parts or is it just resoldering the joints and such

Sometimes the wire just broke off and sometimes the entire lug breaks off. If the latter, you would need a new coil. I would also take this opportunity to definitely replace the plastic crank arm that controls the eyes. And also the plastic linkages for the coil (eyes open) and (eyes close) there are 3 different plastic parts inside that are probably brittle by this point if they haven’t already broken.
Here is a pic I have of Ted when it was apart.

IMG_4678 (resized).pngIMG_4678 (resized).png
#3723 8 months ago

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-19258
Crank arm

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-14030
Main eyelid

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-14028
Eyes shut

These 3 I would replace at least on Ted. Red you can wait until they break as she’s easy to remove if needed.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/SM-30-1100
Here is the eyes left and right coil which can be assessed after inspection if it’s needed or not

#3732 8 months ago
Quoted from ProjektPat:

Yeah looks like I’ll prob need to rebuild Ted. As previously stated he doesn’t look the the right. I’ve also noticed that sometimes his eyes don’t close all the way when he blinks which is apparently a sign of failure. I’m really really not looking forward to this lol mostly just because of how much of a hassle it is to remove.

If you’re going all in I’d recommend replacing the brass eyelets on the spring bar. These are also usually worn out and are responsible for re centering the eyes. Blinking problems usually due to bad or worn out springs. There are a lot of parts in those heads.

#3734 8 months ago
Quoted from ProjektPat:

I ordered the 3 items you mentioned earlier. Do I need more?

I don’t know without looking, but if the springs look weak or questionable I’d replace those. The eyelets are optional depending on their condition as well. Take a look at the springs by taking off the face and simulating the coil action, if they pop quick and snappy they should be good, if they seem mushy, slow, or don’t close all the way, the likely culprit is the spring

#3745 8 months ago
Quoted from ProjektPat:

unless I'm misunderstanding something I have to remove both ramps, remove the trough underneath and undo some really hard to get to c clamps and bolts. That sounds like a lot.

I just finished shopping my Rollergames. Frankly, it was more of a hassle than the strip down to remove TED to rebuild his head. On RG there are no sliding playfield rails so in order to remove the wall ramp I had to take the entire playfield out to access the screws for the wire guard over the wall ramp and then I could remove all wire forms on it and finally able to remove the Wall. It’s a lot to take off but not difficult.

#3748 8 months ago
Quoted from ProjektPat:

Took like 5 hours of work to do it. His eyes look left and right now but they don't center properly. I'm done for now though. It was a total bitch. I installed the 7.0 rom today. Is there anything else you can do with it aside from make the cities random?

This may be a sign of bad brass eyelets. While the spring bar puts pressure on the crank arm, the brass eyelets put pressure on the spring bar to allow to to function right. The eyelets are held in towards the back of the metal box by a screw on each side that cover the eyelets and hold them in place.

#3750 8 months ago
Quoted from monkfe:

spring bar puts pressure onto the pivot point...the brass eyelets are pretty much just moving the eyeballs....no pressure really

Not on the front of the crank arm. I’m talking the two that go directly into the metal box that the spring bar is held in place by. The frame for the head.

2 months later
#3847 5 months ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

I’m 99% there with my restoration but neither eddy sensor works in front of the mouths. Is each sensor interchangeable? And how do they work?

There’s actually 3 in the game. Ted has 2, one being in front of the bulldozer, and the other right in front of his mouth. Red has 1 in front of her mouth. Lift the playfield and locate all 3 boards. There is a tiny potentiometer on the boards that has a screwdriver adjustment. Turn it to the right until the light comes on and when it does, turn it back to the left slowly until the light just turns off.

2 weeks later
#3908 5 months ago
Quoted from G35R6:

Here's a new twist to this. The playfield flashers work inconsistently.
In test mode, none of them work. During gameplay, the blast zone flasher works as does the one near the small flipper. The back wall never lights up.
Can these two issues possibly be related? While changing out this ramp I did also add bright rings to the pop bumpers. No idea if this is all related.

Is your coin door open during the flasher test? High voltage is disabled with door open which would stop any coil or flashers on high power from working with the door open. You’ll need to either close the door after starting the test or pull the switch outward until it clicks.

#3911 5 months ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Checking the manual today looking for a setting to empty the locked balls in the bunker between games as Axl mentioned and not seeing an option which is disappointing, the only way that happens is if you turn the game off then back on. Balls will then empty out of the bunker.
Seems a bit stupid that is the only way to remove locked balls between games.
Anyone else found a solution here? Is it possibly in the updated code?

You can also just hit enter on the coin door then back out of the test menu, it’ll automatically empty the bunker

1 week later
#3936 4 months ago
Quoted from G35R6:

I've never had to adjust/take apart either head yet.
Is there an easy adjustment that would eliminate the blade from periodically getting hung up on the left post?
Thanks
[quoted image]

I would assume one of the screws that attaches the dozer to the frame box has fallen out. It shouldn’t be possible for it to hit the post and it also looks very lopsided right there.

#3950 4 months ago
Quoted from natgreystar:

Anyone ever have problems with the right diverter not opening fast enough and the ball missing the diverter shot? When I test it the diverter seems to move fine but the ball appears to fly through faster than the game can account for and I almost never make the bridge out shot on the right. Maybe I just need to clean the diverter?

Is your ramp entrance switch working really well? That switch is very far ahead of the diverter and it should have plenty of time even for a fast ball.

#3952 4 months ago
Quoted from natgreystar:

I'll have to take the glass off and do some test shots to know for sure. I usually make the shot 1/10 times. It's like it gets about 80% open, the ball hits it, stops, then rolls down the regular lane instead of the diverter. The placement and glare makes it difficult to see what's going on while gameplay is happening. Wasn't sure if there was a common issue with the diverters because you never know.

Only thing I can think of is the plunger is broken and rigged back together. You’ll have to look behind the backboard to get a good look at it. I ended up having to replace both of my diverter plungers when I got mine.

4 weeks later
#3986 3 months ago
Quoted from Methos:

If anyone is looking to get out of the club and in the Madison/Chicago area, please let me know.

I just sold mine to a guy up in Chicago and he has it posted for sale. His price is insane imo but you may be able to talk him down as I don’t believe he’s had any movement. It’s on Facebook marketplace. Woodridge IL

#3988 3 months ago
Quoted from Pauz21:

So I’ve done some more texting on this. It’s not tied to the bridge is out. The lights are but not the clock ticking. Appears it’s an indicator that the spin the wheel feature is active.
Not sure why they made it sound like a clock as there doesn’t appear to be a timed expiry on the feature but I believe that’s what it is.

I always thought that noise was a turn signal indicator

#3991 3 months ago
Quoted from Alan_L:

I think that the shooter springs on my RS might be on backwards. The right side shooter spring is white and the left (Flying Rocks) shooter is clear metal. I know the right spring is supposed to be soft in order to make the Skill Shot, but it will not hit Ted's mouth when trying to start multiball. Should I switch them?
Thanks,
Alan

You shouldn’t be able to get a direct hit into Ted’s mouth from the plunger. It may hit off the bulldozer but not go into the open mouth

2 months later
#4068 34 days ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

Hi guys... so apparently I didn't take enough pictures when I took apart my recently acquired Road Show, so I need a little help with a few electrical connectors.
The first one is the connector for the spotlight on the wireform that crosses the playfield. If I stick the connector through the hole, the only available connector there has the wrong colored wires. [quoted image]
The second is a connector on the outside of the long wireform on the left side. It would make some sense for that one to be the connector for the spotlight reference above, but again, it's the wrong colors. [quoted image]
The third is a pair of connectors under Red's head. There's no other connectors in the vicinty, but again, wrong colors. [quoted image]
The last is a pair of connectors under Ted's head. Again, nothing else in the vicinity, but wrong colors. [quoted image]
Would one of you do me the kind favor of checking these against your machine?

It connects near the radio riot sign on the left wire form above the playfield. I can’t find any pictures of what it plugs into in my album but I can clearly see the end of that lamp cord is on that side. What are the connector color options for that area? Any of the connectors with green wires in them are switch matrix. Red wires are lamp matrix. Remaining should be GI circuit and it should only be available on left side

#4070 33 days ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

If by "it" you're referring to the crossover ramp, that would be the purple-white/purple connector shown in photo 2. Again, I thought that might have been the right spot, but the wires were different colors (the ramp is purple-white/brown).

That is correct, colors inside likely didn’t match as they likely used what was available knowing it would be mostly covered in the shrink tubing

#4073 29 days ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

My boards are back from NVRAM and some repair, and I'm down to my last few problems...
1) The pop-up assembly under the spinner still isn't working right, but I think I know why-- I think the plunger is too short. It doesn't actually extend into the coil! When I give it a little poke to get the plunger started, it works fine. So, what is the correct plunger? The part number in the manual is A-18818. Planetary has the part, but doesn't give dimensions. Does *yours* extend into the coil? I suspect I don't have the right plunger on the separator.
2) Teds eyes are closed when they should be open, and open when they should be closed. What could cause that?

1) Just buy the plunger if you have reason to suspect the incorrect one is there.

2) this would be caused by the incorrect wiring being installed on the coils in Ted’s head. The coils are identical but if they reversed the wires, it would cause the open coil to fire when it calls for a close and vice verse. Sorry to say taking Ted out is a bit of a pain.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 26.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 63.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jmckune.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/road-show-club-hard-hats-required-on-site?tu=jmckune and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.