(Topic ID: 83745)

ROAD SHOW CLUB (Hard hats required on site)

By webdiddy

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,082 posts
  • 463 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 days ago by PPS
  • Topic is favorited by 185 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

36-50024 (resized).jpg
IMG_2974 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2975 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2973 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2976 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0854 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0853 (resized).jpeg
20240318_161830 (resized).jpg
roadshow 4 (resized).jpg
roadshow 3 (resized).jpg
roadshow 2 (resized).jpg
Roadshow 1 (resized).jpg
Road show (resized).jpg
red's head (resized).png
20210304_193816 (resized).jpg
IMG_0519 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider indusguys.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1078 6 years ago

Hey guys, just picked up a RS yesterday and it doesn't have the factory shaker. I have done a little looking around for a new shaker kit but I haven't found anything. Is there a direct replacement kit for this game?

#1080 6 years ago

Ok thanks for the info, if anyone has an extra shaker from a Road Show I am interested

I have a bigger problem I am dealing with now anyway. After playing RS for a few games every so often when I hit both flipper buttons the game would power off and then power back up in a couple seconds on its own. After a few more games it started powering down after just hitting the left flipper button. After a few more games it powered down and then wouldn't come back on. Now when I switch the game on the speakers make a small noise and that's it? The game will not turn on. Where should I start?

#1081 6 years ago

I also spoke with the seller of the game, and he said this was not happening for him. Something might have came loose during transportation, but I checked all the connections and nothing was loose.

#1084 6 years ago
Quoted from TheOnlyest:

The seller is probably lying... This is an extremely common problem. Start by reseating all the ribbon cables in the backbox, then do a simple search in these forums and you will find hundreds of posts and solutions to try.

I don't know the seller well, but I don't think he is lying. Either way after reseating the ribbon cable the game is now turning on, but after a short game I hit the left flipper and the game powered down again.

#1088 6 years ago

Ok after further diagnostics it is not just the left flipper that is causing temporary power loss. The machine is now losing power randomly without touching anything? Where to start, will the kahr daughter board resolve this issue, or is that just a bandaid for a bigger issue?

#1090 6 years ago

Already ordered, thanks guys!

#1096 6 years ago

Unfortunately I am the only repair man close to me. While I am waiting for the Kahr board I decided to take Red's head out and see what was going on in there.
Everything looks good, no loose connections, I can't see the centering flange that everyone talks about, not sure what might have happened to that? When I try to work the coils manually they seem super stiff. I watched a video on youtube of a woman manually moving the eyes, her coils seemed very easy to move. Does this mean the coils need replacing? Nothing seems bent and all in all everything looks pretty good.

#1097 6 years ago

Never mind on the centering flange, located where it is supposed to be and it is missing.

#1099 6 years ago

Thanks! All the parts I need to rebuild Red are on the way! As for the resetting issue, I decided to go in the backbox and reseat every connector, it did the trick, now the game is playing great without a single reset!

#1100 6 years ago

Hey guys, thanks for all the help so far. I got the Kahr board and even though I didn't need it, I plugged it in, everything has been working fine. Until tonight, when my son was playing I noticed the pop bumpers and the slingshots weren't firing, when just a few minutes earlier they were working fine for me. I went into tests and they all fire fine. I looked at all connections underneath play field, and also on top, checking all leaf switches. I couldn't see anything out of the ordinary. Is it odd that just the slings and bumpers would stop working and the rest of the game would play fine?

What is my next course of action?

#1102 6 years ago

All the fuses are good. Like I said, when I go into tests everything fires, also in ball search everything works.

#1104 6 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Switch edge test. Check to see if the switches that activate them are working. In ball search mode and in the test mode for coils the switches don't fire the coils, the game does.

Ok, so I did the switch test and they are not activating the coils? I can't see any loose solder connections or broken connections underneath the play field.

#1106 6 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Hey Induguys... i dunno if its worth it. (Price wise) But here's a link to a thread with some RS parts for sale.. i see he has a shaker motor on the list... cheers
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/selling-pinball-parts/page/6#post-4038311

Thanks man, just sent him a pm!

#1108 6 years ago

Thanks, I have the manual, haven't found anything yet, I keep hoping I will find a loose cable or connector.

#1110 6 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

If everything else in the row/column works, probably a loose wire. If nothing else works, probably a transistor

Yeah nothing in the column works, so next step is to check transistor. I have used a multi meter before but not to check transistors, I will see if I can figure it out.

#1111 6 years ago

I am having trouble checking transistors, with the board in place it is very difficult to get my leads on the contacts. Where in the manual will it say which transistor(s) are responsible for the pop bumpers and slings?

#1113 6 years ago

Ok found that thank you. Do I have to pull the board to check the transistors?

#1115 6 years ago

Ok, I'm on it!

#1116 6 years ago

Ok just checked the transistors that correspond with pop bumpers and slingshots, they are all reading fine. Where do you guys think I should look next?

#1118 6 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

What readings did you get?

Right around .569, is that right? I got around the same reading for all transistors that I checked.

#1121 6 years ago

I have checked everything under the PF a few times now, I will check one more time to make sure the diode leads at the switches aren't broken. I have followed all the wires and everything looks good, but I didn't look that close at the diodes. I will check first thing in the morning. Thanks!

#1123 6 years ago
Quoted from TheOnlyest:

Ok well, if you're sure, then you need to replace the U20 (ULN2803A) chip on your CPU board, it should be socketed, so it is easy to pull and replace. Based on your scenario, I find it hard to believe that you blew the U20 somewhere between playing games... 99 out of 100 times, the only way to blow a U20 is by accidentally shorting voltage from the GI circuit or elsewhere to a switch while recklessly working under the playfield with the game powered on.
I am still convinced that since your entire column 6 is out, you have a broken or disconnected wire, either on the J207 connector, or at one of the pop switches. Did you do the switch test? Do you know how to do a continuity test with an ohm meter?
Obviously if I put eyes on your game, i'd be able to tell you whats wrong in a matter of seconds, there's only so much I can do here blindly.

Did you mean J107 connection? If so everything is fine there. All diodes and wires are good. When I turn on the game it says press enter for test report, I go into the tests and it says all the switches in column 6 aren't working. I have done a switch edge test and none of the switches for my problem area are working. I do know how to do continuity test, what should I test? The diodes? I do not have access to a ULN2803A chip in my city. Would it be ok to remove the same chip from my Addams family and see if it fixes my problem? Otherwise I will have to wait a few days to get the chip. What do you think?

#1125 6 years ago

Yup, my mistake.

#1127 6 years ago

Everything looks good at J207.

#1128 6 years ago

Yep, machine off, I am going to do a continuity test at J207, focused on pin 7.

#1129 6 years ago

I am having a hard time finding something tiny enough to test the connector, but I will find something. Is there only one U20 location? What tool do you use to pull the chip?

#1130 6 years ago

A small sewing needle should work to test the connector continuity right?

#1131 6 years ago

Ok I took the chip from Addams family and moved it to Road Show, and now everything works!

Theonlyest thank you so much!

#1134 6 years ago

A fellow Pinsider near me had a couple to spare! Everything is working great, except for now when I turn on the machine all the coils fire for a couple seconds, it seems like it might be stuck, and then the machine boots up as normal?

#1135 6 years ago

Also Ted's mouth is not working. Checked connections there, they look solid.

#1136 6 years ago

Gear on Ted's mouth was binding a bit, gave it a small adjustment and it seems to be working fine now.

#1138 6 years ago

Ok so I got a package in the mail today with my replacement ULN2803A (ordered a couple extra). So I took the Addams Family chip out put it back in Addams Family and played a couple games, works great! However, I put the new chip in Road Show and I am having all sorts of problems/glitchy stuff going on. Just to check I put the same chip in Addams Family and it started acting the same. What is going on?

Whoops, put the chip in upside down.

#1140 6 years ago

Upside down.

1 week later
#1149 6 years ago

Red is easy to remove and fix up, Ted is more of a PITA, but still doesn't look that hard to me, just time consuming. I guess it depends on how much you have worked on machines in the past. Make sure the plastic ramps are in good shape, it is unlikely you will find those.

#1160 6 years ago

Hey everyone, I just finished changing out the GI to LED and now the whole left side (just the left side) is out. Other then that the game plays like usual. So I figure I must have broke a solder connection, or a loose wire finally fell off, but I can't find anything wrong. What is the best way to figure out what I messed up this time

#1162 6 years ago
Quoted from Mrawesome44:

Check your fuses. I had the same thing happened to me. I was changing my GI(with the game on) saw sparks and my whole right side was out. The culprit was a blown fuse. I didnt have a dmm so i had swapped the right and left side fuses. It's one of the 5 fuses by the arrow. I would start there

Thank you, once again Pinside saves the day! F106 was the fuse that was blown.

#1164 6 years ago
Quoted from jbug:

With the repairs to the heads, I'm back in action. Gavin of Gavin's Games Services fixed the heads in a really short time. He had to take out both and I was surprised at how fast it was done. It looks like the "falling rocks" mode is now fixed also. I forgot to mention it to him but I've played 4 games and no problems. He played some games while testing and may have caught the problem. He also tweaked a few things on POTC for me.

If you have the parts for repair the heads can be fixed very quickly, especially if you have done them before.

#1165 6 years ago

I just received my shaker motor assembly arakissun from Bulgaria! I am going to install sometime this weekend. Mine was removed at some point, not sure which cable is supposed to hook up to the one end of the board? Did they remove the power cable for the shaker motor as well, i can't find it anywhere? Can someone tell me how I can get power to the shaker if the original cable has been removed?

#1166 6 years ago

In case that doesn't make a lot of sense, I am trying to find the cable that connects the shaker PDC board to the power driver board.

#1167 6 years ago

Ok here is where I believe the shaker was connected. Where can I get the cable that connects the PDC to the power driver board?

P1040434 (resized).JPGP1040434 (resized).JPG

#1168 6 years ago

And here is the other end that I need, am I going to have to build this myself?

Screen Shot 2017-11-18 at 9.27.24 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-11-18 at 9.27.24 AM (resized).png

#1169 6 years ago

Ok so I guess I am answering my own questions but that's how I work. Are these the two connectors that I need to build this cable:

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/5791-09111-00
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/5792-09104-00

What size cable should I use?

#1170 6 years ago

Ok 18awg, but now I am thinking this is what I should use for the 6 position connector:

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/5792-10817-06

#1173 6 years ago

I have done a bit of reading and although IDC isn't optimal it will work perfectly fine in this situation I think.

#1179 6 years ago
Quoted from TheOnlyest:

Yes, you'll obviously need to build this cable yourself, the 2 connectors you linked will work, but the 6-position flat molex is not an IDC connector, so you will have to also buy the proper pins for it. If you are able to properly punch an IDC connector, use that instead of the molex. Anyone who discourages using an IDC connector, is someone who isn't able to properly punch them down IMHO.
Be prepared to possibly address some other issues once you get this all together... It's possible that the entire shaker system was removed by some dumbass for a reason other than the game was jackhammering through the floor... In which case it could have simply been disabled in settings or disconnected.

Thanks again, I will go with the IDC connector and use the proper punch tool/watch a video on punching IDC connectors

#1181 6 years ago
Quoted from chinosts:

Hey everyone.. I recently bought a Road Show and was loving it until my DMD died. I have a ColorDMD on order which hopefully will arrive this week! I also have an issue with RED talking that I already posted on Pinside but didnt get any replies. I will repeat the message below. I would really appreciate any help..
Cheers!
--
I bought a Road Show (which is an awesome pinball btw!) the other day which for the most part is a really nice machine. It does have one problem atm. Red's jaw doesn't open. I can see it moving very slightly to her words so I do know something is happening. I pulled out the jaw assembly and checked the gears etc which seem to be ok with nothing broken. I also pulled the board out and re-flowed the connectors for the mounted pins that the cable plugs into. Interestingly enough, when I put 9v direct through the cable the jaw opens and closes correctly. I suspect that this means that there is a problem with the board? TED is working correctly.
Cheers for any help anyone can give!
--

You might also want to check the Jaw motor is still working.

#1183 6 years ago
Quoted from tonyf1965:

Does anyone know of the correct or updated rubber rings need for replacement on there road show? The manual has nothing listed.
Saw something on the titan site. Wanted to check to see if anyone else has ideas?

Don't use the list on Titan's site, it is missing a few, can't remember off the top of my head. Here is a screen shot I took of a list that looked pretty close to me. Can't remember where I took the shot from.

Screen Shot 2017-11-02 at 11.25.27 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-11-02 at 11.25.27 AM (resized).png

2 months later
#1254 6 years ago
Quoted from joey__p__1966:

Gonna LED my RS soon ANyone have suggestion on GI color, accent colors, something they can share a pic of and get me something to think about.
Thanks .

For GI stick with either cool or warm white depending on where you are putting them. Don't use colors for GI there is already enough color in the game, use color LEDS for under coloured inserts to make them pop more. When I received my game I changed all the GI this way and it made the game brighter and more attractive.

3 weeks later
#1322 6 years ago

I am not sure if this will work for you but I use Testor's Dullcote matte finish. It creates a nice finish that is not too shiny and protects your work.

#1323 6 years ago

Here is my radio. Primed it black with Citadel primer spray paint, then hand painted the rest with acrylic paints, then sprayed 2 coats of Testors Dullcote matte finish.

20180213_210539 (resized).jpg20180213_210539 (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#1347 6 years ago

Really nice! Now time to paint that hideous red radio!

#1350 6 years ago
Quoted from Carbonellie:

I have ordered one, (aftermarket) that I will paint.

Probably one of the best things you will do for the game, other then the colour DMD.

#1356 6 years ago

Oh yeah, great job!

3 months later
#1466 5 years ago

Hey guys, I went to play my RS after not having played it for a while, and when it turned on all the coils fired (all the flippers at the same time) and then the fuse at 112 solenoid secondary blew. I replaced with another 7A slow blow and it blew again. Popped the hood and had a look, everything looks fine, any ideas of where I should start looking? Thanks in advance.

#1470 5 years ago

I have had a similar issue before, I would recommend trying a different thumb drive, and make sure the Colour DMD file is the only thing on the drive.

3 months later
#1530 5 years ago

I turned on my RS yesterday and noticed during Flying rocks that I wasn't being awarded extra ball when I hit that shot. I removed the glass and went into tests and the switch is working properly. I played a game with he glass off and both the extra ball and radio switches aren't giving the rewards, even though both the switches are working. The blast reward and Teds head shots are both working fine, any ideas where to start?

#1532 5 years ago

When I shoot extra ball from flying rocks it does not light extra ball at spinner and when I shoot radio it does not activate the radio riot mode. Both switches are working in tests.

1 week later
#1534 5 years ago

I tested with ball in test mode and the switches are working perfectly fine, they are just not awarding the extra ball or radio riot. When the switches are activated (by the ball) there is a sound from the speakers that shows they were hit, but no award? I am guessing it is a board problem? To be honest this game has been a bit of a "lemon" and nearly everything that can go wrong has, but I really love it and have a blast playing. I just wish I could get it playing 100% just once before I die!

#1536 5 years ago

Interesting, those shots used to be lit, maybe I did change something in the menu, how do you lit the upper shots anyway?

1 week later
#1538 5 years ago

Thanks so much! Now I know it isn't my game, it's just me!

5 months later
#1715 5 years ago

That head looks wonky to me.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 37.50
$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 26.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.95
4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider indusguys.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/road-show-club-hard-hats-required-on-site?tu=indusguys and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.