(Topic ID: 83745)

ROAD SHOW CLUB (Hard hats required on site)

By webdiddy

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,081 posts
  • 463 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 30 hours ago by SimplePin
  • Topic is favorited by 185 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2974 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2975 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2973 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2976 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0854 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0853 (resized).jpeg
20240318_161830 (resized).jpg
roadshow 4 (resized).jpg
roadshow 3 (resized).jpg
roadshow 2 (resized).jpg
Roadshow 1 (resized).jpg
Road show (resized).jpg
red's head (resized).png
20210304_193816 (resized).jpg
IMG_0519 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_8019258_0 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Lermods.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1756 4 years ago

I picked up a RS yesterday and I have string out in the backbox. Could someone please take a pic and post of j120 and j121? According to the manual, j121 should only have 6 wires on it and j120 has 10, but in my game it’s reversed. It’s obvious the connectors on j120 are not factory so I’m thinking somewhere along the line these connectors were plugged into the wrong headers.

Thx

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#1758 4 years ago
Quoted from soren:

The connectors are interchangable. GI for backbox and playfield respetively.

I switched them and now all the lights are working

#1760 4 years ago
Quoted from soren:

In that case you have worn or pitted connectors. Or cracked solder joints. Some of this comes to work, sort of, when messing around with them. But it will not last.
These connectors are 100% alike.

The pinouts are different for 120 and 121. The board is a newer rottendog and the connectors all test good for continuity.

#1761 4 years ago

Anyone know where to get a shaker motor and the related parts for the game? A game i picked up didn't have it.

I realize these are hard to find, if anyone has an extra setup, please let me know.

#1762 4 years ago

I spoke with Ks arcade and they indicated they could make shaker boards if they had a spare to work from. Anyone have a spare to help get some boards made?

#1767 4 years ago
Quoted from razoraustralia:

I'm in need of both the shaker motor board and shaker motor as well.
Why is it that the shaker motor in particular is so hard to find?

The motor isn’t hard to find, it’s the board that no longer exists. We need to find someone in the community willing to lend their board to Ks arcade so they can make a new one. I’ll reward anyone that is willing to do it, not sure with what, but I’ll make it worth their while.

#1768 4 years ago
Quoted from Jjsmooth:

Mine shakes so hard, it's annoying, so I turned it off. Not sure if they are all that way.

Can I borrow your board since you aren’t using it right now? Probably would need it for a month or so to get the new board made.

I’m also willing to buy your shaker motor and board if you don’t want it.

#1769 4 years ago
Quoted from rygar:

I have checked out my Williams/Bally small boards spare sets and I have a spare set of shaker and board. Unfortunately I need it for RFM conversion to shaker motor. I can help you with elements/measures of shaker board.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thx, but Ks needs the actual board to test the traces.

#1771 4 years ago
Quoted from rygar:

I can wait with my RFM shaker upgrade. Please PM me the details about your address.

Pm sent, thank you!

#1779 4 years ago

Finished shopping my game today, had it about two weeks, finally done. Added LEDs, new rubber, new coil sleeves, fixed reds eyes and jaw, new balls, backboard (blue) and trough light (white). There were orange switch covers that came with the game so threw those on. Just need to make some target decals and get a new scoop cliffy....and debate if I want a color dmd for it, but it's playing fantastic, love the game. Waiting on some mirror blades from coin taker.
IMG_20190607_193617 (resized).jpgIMG_20190607_193617 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20190607_193556 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20190607_193556 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20190607_193702 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20190607_193702 (resized).jpg

#1781 4 years ago
Quoted from TOLLS:

The game is one of the greats. The Soren chip will take it to the next level. Fitted mine a couple of days ago, just brilliant. Thanks.

I added the new cpu ROM today, forgot about that. I still have it on the stock setting though.

#1784 4 years ago
Quoted from kechlesurf:

Swapped out my ColorDMD from Roadshow to Fish Tales the other day. But when I plugged the old display to Roadshow and turned it on, the machine's shaker went on for a second and shut off. Now nothing is happening when you turn the machine on. Figured I blew a fuse and will test them when I get home from work today, but wanted to see if there is anything else I should look at if the machine does not have a blown fuse.

Did you plug all the cables in the correct way?

#1787 4 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

Swapped a few PM’s today and I’ll be fronting the effort on new shaker motor boards.
I’ve got a schematic, I’ve got a working board, and I’ve got a road-show to test it in. Couple prototypes I’ll be getting boards ordered for in a week or two, so I’ll try to get these in at the same time.

Outstanding, thank you! Now I just need to find a motor housing and the weights. Wonder if I can use the stern shaker housing and weights and just replace the motor?

#1789 4 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

Can't speak for using the Stern motor without having one to look at, so I'll decline to answer either way for the moment on that question.
But for the repro of the A-19720 board? That will be happening. Won't know exact price for a bit, other than to say 'not expensive'.
-Hans

The stern motor will not work, voltage is not compatible. I'm more interested in the housing and the weights. I think that will work with a RS motor.

#1792 4 years ago

This game is giving me a headache. I literally just got done fixing red's jaw for the second time and it is working perfectly only to play a game and have the bulldozer not go up in game mode (works in test mode). Both proximity boards for Ted register in switch tests. I believe the issue is the wires going to the blade interrupter board, when I touch them or wiggle them, the dozer up switch is registering. If dozer up is registering, I'm guessing the game thinks the dozer is up and that's why it won't rise during the game. I ran out of time last night, but hoping reseating the wires in the connector will fix it. Very strange that all of a sudden the wires are causing switch activation, though I was in there messing with red quite a bit and may have pulled something.

If that doesn't fix it, guess I'll start reflowing solder on the board.

There's a few threads on this, has to be relatively simple to fix, but frustrating to figure out.

#1794 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

This game is giving me a headache. I literally just got done fixing red's jaw for the second time and it is working perfectly only to play a game and have the bulldozer not go up in game mode (works in test mode). Both proximity boards for Ted register in switch tests. I believe the issue is the wires going to the blade interrupter board, when I touch them or wiggle them, the dozer up switch is registering. If dozer up is registering, I'm guessing the game thinks the dozer is up and that's why it won't rise during the game. I ran out of time last night, but hoping reseating the wires in the connector will fix it. Very strange that all of a sudden the wires are causing switch activation, though I was in there messing with red quite a bit and may have pulled something.
If that doesn't fix it, guess I'll start reflowing solder on the board.
There's a few threads on this, has to be relatively simple to fix, but frustrating to figure out.

Just to close the loop, fixed the dozer issue. Loose wire in the connector to the opto blade board. Easy fix. Hope this helps someone else.

Quoted from HHaase:

Just waiting on a check to come in before ordering the shaker motor board blanks. Layout is done and ready to submit on these.
In the meantime, anybody have a busted left ramp they can spare? I want to make up some kind of cover to keep the ball from flying off the ramp, but don't want to tear my game apart to get access for measuring.
-Hans

Excellent. Thx again!

#1797 4 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

Pricing on the shaker boards will be $30 retail, fully assembled, to original Williams specs. Simple enough that I don't see a need to make any improvements, and all the original parts are available on the open market. Even the original size/style heatsink.
I should have them ready to ship by around the 15th of July. Parts going on order this weekend.

Now we just need to build the motor and bracket assembly. I’ve investigated a bit. I bought the actual motor from Marco, pricey, but not being picky. The motor will not fit a stern shaker bracket, the bearings/mounts are too big for the holes. I looked at my Cgc shaker I have for mbR and it will work. So where to get those brackets, weights and cover? I spoke with Cgc, told me to contact pps. I spoke with pps and the response was sorry, we can’t supply it, great. Spoke with Terry at pinball life, no luck. So it seems the only choice is to buy a Cgc shaker, remove the motor and replace it with the one from Marco; simple enough, but pricey for just a metal bracket, weights and cover. Or if anyone has a source on these brackets? Who makes them for Cgc?

#1798 4 years ago

Painted my radio...

Screenshot_20190619-123306 (resized).pngScreenshot_20190619-123306 (resized).png
3 weeks later
#1811 4 years ago
Quoted from marspinball:

Is any one located in San Diego CA who can burn this rom.?
Thanks Martin

You can get it from astill entertainment in Canada, $13 shipped, takes about 10 days to arrive.

1 week later
#1817 4 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Has anyone installed this mod?

Pinballsupernova has it on his game.

#1820 4 years ago

Can someone please post a picture of their shaker board wiring. I've seen a game with the board wired with a red loop, but manual says the blue/yellow wire should be looped. Thanks
IMG_20190719_135209 (resized).jpgIMG_20190719_135209 (resized).jpg

IMG_20190719_164854 (resized).jpgIMG_20190719_164854 (resized).jpg
#1823 4 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks. That seems to be how these are wired, but that's different than what the manual shows.

1 week later
#1828 4 years ago
Quoted from TateCenter:

I was having a lot of trouble with the GI and got some board work done. It has worked great since then and I had to do it some justice with LEDs. What a difference it makes! I also added the LED rings to the pop bumpers and the a lighting strip to the ball drain from Comet. Now all I have to do is fix Reds Eyelids.[quoted image][quoted image]

Iike the pop number rings, but the trough still looks really dark. Here's ours. You need a back light too!

Reds eyes are easy to fix and she's not hard to remove. It's either the spring, replace even if it looks ok, or the centering pin.
MVIMG_20190618_205031 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20190618_205031 (resized).jpg

#1830 4 years ago
Quoted from TateCenter:

Wow those back lights make a difference. Are they just LED strips?

Yep, huge difference. We have them on our site.

#1835 4 years ago
Quoted from kechlesurf:

My bulldozer works during test but not during game play. Believe it is the board but can not find the board anywhere.

You likely have a loose wire in the connector to the board. Put game in switch test mode, lift play field and jiggle the wires attached to the connector to the board. anything register? Reseat the wires in the connector regardless. The board is NLA, I’m afraid.

#1843 4 years ago
Quoted from LargemouthAss:

Hard reset did not resolve the issue

Did you try to reseat the wires in all the connectors to/from the board? I had a similar issue with the dozer blade, would rise and fall in test mode, but not in game play, was a loose wire.

1 week later
#1852 4 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

So I have looked in both standard and feature adjustments for the option to turn down shaker strength and cannot find it. Can someone tell me where to specifically look for that adjustment.

Not sure in code, but you can adjust the shaker itself. Aligning the weights so they are in the same direction is maximum shake. Putting them at 180degrees of each other is minimal. I have mine set at about 160 degrees and it’s perfect.

1 month later
#1860 4 years ago

In switch test mode, if you press the flipper button, does it register on screen? If it doesn’t, that suggests it’s not likely a mechanical issue and you have a broken wire somewhere.

1 week later
#1866 4 years ago
Quoted from kechlesurf:

I have had the same issue with my Road Show since I picked it up and hoping I can find some info to help fix it. Red's mouth stays open all the time and during game play, the dozer blade does not work (go up and down). Red's mouth is always open and does not close during test though the dozer blade works during test mode.
I have done research and believe it is a board issue. Does anyone know which board I will need to look at, can it be fixed or is there any replacement boards out there?
The game plays great and I have lived with the dozer and Red's mouth not working for a while now, but really want to get this issue fixed. Any advice/guidance is very much appreciated.

If the dozer blade works in test mode, you have a loose wire in your connector on the dozer board. Lift the playfield, put the game in switch test mode and jiggle the wires. If something registers, loose wire, reseat in connector.

For reds mouth, can you move it manually up and down with your hand? Plastic Gears could be stripped. You can also compare to ted. Parts are available at Marco.

3 months later
#1914 4 years ago

Ted’s eyes wouldn’t close last night. I hear solenoid firing in test mode, but not dropping. It’s either the spring, centering washer or post. Simple fix, but taking Ted out is going to be a chore, ugh!

Anyone have any tips? Seems like half the game needs to be disassembled to get him out.

Red comes out really easy and I already fixed her eyes.

#1916 4 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

The only tips I have regarding removing teds head is: take it all off. It took a lot of time. I was trying to remove as little as possible. That took a lot more time than to just remove it all. In the end I removed everything an changed all the rubbers while I was at it. I also changed all the parts in teds head.

Thanks, I think I’ve gotten lucky and fixed it, but I’m not sure it’s a long term fix. The pin was stuck so from under the playfield, I was able to free it by pushing and pulling on it. It’s still possible the spring needs replacement, but for now it is working,

1 month later
#1990 4 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

Two questions.
1. The left plunger is not strong enough to make it to the top should I user a stronger sprint than stock ?
2. On Ocassion their eyes don’t quite fully close or close slowly . Am I gonna have to remove the heads?

Unfortunately for 2, the answer is yes. You likely need a new spring and or centering grommet. Red is easy to get out, Ted not so much.

On the plunger, make sure ball is being struck in the center, but a new spring might be needed.

2 weeks later
#2003 4 years ago
Quoted from Phantasize:

Some times my Ted's mouth doesn't close fully after he says something. He is then left with a (semi) open mouth until the next time he talks, and everything is fine again for a while. The amount of gap to the top when it happens varies a lot. It happens occasionally, but not in every game.
Works fine in test mode.
Any ideas? Could it be something as simple as a loose connection or a cold soldering on the motor driver board?

Likely the plastic gears are worn. I believe you may be able to replace them without having to remove Ted. You can with Red. You could also try a little dry lube to see if that helps first.

2 months later
#2081 3 years ago
Quoted from per3per3:

When you say eddy board adjustment what exactly do you mean?

What board did you get as the replacement and where did you get it from?

Look under the playfield in front of reds mouth, you’ll see a board recessed into the playfield. There is a potentiometer on it that you can adjust to make it more or less sensitive.

If the game won’t start, it may not be recognizing that you have the right number of balls in the game. Pull them out, make sure you have right number, put game in test mode and feed them into trough one by one and see if all switches activate.

For teds eyes, you likely need a new spring and/or centering grommet. Unforuntately, Ted is very difficult to get out, you have to take apart a good part of the upper playfield.

#2084 3 years ago
Quoted from per3per3:

Really appreciate the advice and fixed the Eddy board switch error. I was mistaken about the start button issue...it's the wiring on the start button. The button doesn't register in test and I tried a brand new switch and still nothing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Look at your buy-in button, I believe it’s wired the same as the start button.

#2090 3 years ago
Quoted from per3per3:

The game is on Free Play. Update on the issue. The entire 1st column of the switch matrix is out. Not sure why, but that's what I'm dealing with. I've been told that it's likely the chip at location U20 and that will need to be replaced with this: https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-uln2803a-switch-matrix-driver-chip.html

Could be u20, but also could be a bad connection on j207, pin 1. Could be wire isn’t seated well, a bad header pin or a broken wire. The wire is green brown. Do you have continuity from the wire at the connector on the board to the start button switch or any switches on that column?

3 months later
#2225 3 years ago
Quoted from Kjarkur:

Thanks a lot. I got in touch with Ted now and he was a difficult guy.
I measured his move eyes left coil and its shortened. Time to clean until the new coil arrives.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That’s impressive. How did you get him out without removing the ramps? Can you share your process/time to remove him?

1 week later
#2257 3 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Much appreciated, don’t think they are the roms I’m after but I’ve asked anyway

I had purchased my RS rom (and other roms) from Dave Astill (astill entertainment) out of Canada. He's on pinside and has a website: http://www.pinballrom.com/ Very responsive if you have questions.

#2262 3 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

I’m having problems with Ted’s bulldozer and I’m looking for some help.
Ted registers hits and you can advance through the days of the week and lock balls. After locking ball 2 Ted goes to sleep, his mouth opens up, but the bulldozer doesn’t raise, so you can never start multiball. The bulldozer operates as it’s supposed to in test, so I’m at a loss what to look at next.

Check for a loose wire on the connectors under the playfield. Go into test mode and move the wires around to see if anything registers, which would suggest a loose wire.

1 month later
#2333 3 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

My Roadshow doesn’t have a shaker motor but I do have one of the official Stern Shakers spare. Has anyone fit a different shaker to their Roadshow with success?

Stern shaker won’t work, voltage isn’t correct. I bought the one from Marco, pricey, but it worked. I posted in this thread about it.

1 month later
#2364 3 years ago
Quoted from Bestshore:

Hello all,
I’ve got a new problem with the dozer.
When I start Multiball the dozer does not like to descend. It does go down, just very slowly until it hits the second onto.
In the dozer test mode it works fine. Both switches in front and behind the dozer are working as well.
Has anyone had this problem, and know what I should be looking for?
Thanks for the help.

Go into test mode and move the wires around on the connector that controls the dozer blade. If anything registers, you have a loose wire in the connector.

3 weeks later
#2394 3 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Im having a issue with my bulldozer in front of Ted.
The blade goes up and down fine in test mode. Both up and down optos work.
Both eddy sensors work.
But after I lock 2 ball and you need to shoot into Teds mouth the blade does not come up. Sometimes it comes up in very small increments till it is finally up. Keep in mind it works strong up and down in test mode.

Check your wire connections. Put game in switch test mode and jiggle the wires underneath the playfield going to the motor board. Anything registering?

5 months later
#2614 2 years ago
Quoted from TOLLS:

After some help. Blast zone flasher and white rear back board flashers are stuck on. Any ideas.
Thanks

Unplug the ribbon cable in back box and plug back in, helped me once.

6 months later
#2786 2 years ago
Quoted from griztown:

Hi all! I'm a proud owner of a Road Show which I enjoy thoroughly. Sadly I have two problems with mine. One I can work around pretty easily but would be nice to fix. The second just showed up recently and prevents me from playing.
So second one first, the game shuts down within a minute of starting a game. From reading around, sounds like maybe a bad solder joint? That sounds hard to track down. Any advice here?
First one, balls get suck back in the lock pocket. So when I turn the game on, the machine can't popup them out so we don't have four balls in the trough and I can't start a new game without turning the game off, opening it up, pulling it out and releasing one of the solenoids that appears to be blocking it from reaching the back of pocket where it kicks it back out. Any easy fixes for this one?
Thanks!

Game resets: https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Game_resets

2 years later
#4019 70 days ago
Quoted from Deez:

When you say in front of the blade are you referring to the Eddy board?

Check your dozer wiring for loose connections. Put the game in switch test mode and jiggle the wires to the connectors to see if anything registers. You may just need to reseat the wires with a punch tool. I had similar issues where dozer worked in test mode, but not gameplay. It was just the wiring in the connectors.

Edit: Nevermind, I see a new board fixed it for you.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 37.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods
Pinball Machine
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Lermods.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/road-show-club-hard-hats-required-on-site?tu=Lermods and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.