(Topic ID: 83745)

ROAD SHOW CLUB (Hard hats required on site)

By webdiddy

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,082 posts
  • 463 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 17 days ago by PPS
  • Topic is favorited by 185 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

36-50024 (resized).jpg
IMG_2974 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2975 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2973 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2976 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0854 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0853 (resized).jpeg
20240318_161830 (resized).jpg
roadshow 4 (resized).jpg
roadshow 3 (resized).jpg
roadshow 2 (resized).jpg
Roadshow 1 (resized).jpg
Road show (resized).jpg
red's head (resized).png
20210304_193816 (resized).jpg
IMG_0519 (resized).jpeg
There are 4,082 posts in this topic. You are on page 66 of 82.
#3251 1 year ago
Quoted from Jmckune:

There are only 4 springs related to the head mechanisms, 1 for eyes open on vertical coil, 1 for horizontal coil which allows eyes to close, and two that goes from the back of the plastic jaw to the scoop to use as a pivot point which should make the jaw be open when there is no motor attached. There is also a “spring bar” which controls eye centering but it is a thin metal rod and not a traditional spring
You can see the edge of the 2 springs I think you’re talking about in this photo [quoted image]

looks like you're missing your centering flange...

edit, I see it but I think it goes on the bottom of the coil no?

#3252 1 year ago
Quoted from Jmckune:

There are only 4 springs related to the head mechanisms, 1 for eyes open on vertical coil, 1 for horizontal coil which allows eyes to close, and two that goes from the back of the plastic jaw to the scoop to use as a pivot point which should make the jaw be open when there is no motor attached. There is also a “spring bar” which controls eye centering but it is a thin metal rod and not a traditional spring
You can see the edge of the 2 springs I think you’re talking about in this photo [quoted image]

Thank you.

#3253 1 year ago
Quoted from monkfe:

looks like you're missing your centering flange...
edit, I see it but I think it goes on the bottom of the coil no?

I can’t remember if it was Red or Ted on mine, but one of them had the vertical coil replaced that had built in thinner opening on both sides that wouldn’t allow the centering flange to go in, I’m thinking Red. The thinner opening did exactly what the centering flange does and hasn’t caused problems so I didn’t bother replacing the coil.

#3254 1 year ago

I'm in the process of spiffing up my recently purchased RS. Items purchased/fixed so far:

- Missing upper left flipper spring
- Loose Ted face
- $25M Flying Rocks Ted Shot ball not returning
- Broken left outlane plastic
- Soren's ROM (not yet installed)
- Cliffy's ordered
- Tilt bob ordered

Next on my list is the right diverter behind Red's head. A ball hit up the right ramp would oftentimes bounce back down the ramp. For now I disabled the diverter. Upon further investigation I found that the linkage spring had snapped off of the diverter blade. I have ordered a new spring and that should fix the issue. I forgot to take a pic of the mechanism before I started disassembly. If possible, could somebody pull their playfield forward and take a pic of the diverter assembly mounted to the back-board from the top (looking down) I would greatly appreciate it!!

I love working on my machines, but I have a tendency to foul things up. A pic would work wonders!

#3255 1 year ago
Quoted from pudealee:

I'm in the process of spiffing up my recently purchased RS. Items purchased/fixed so far:
- Missing upper left flipper spring
- Loose Ted face
- $25M Flying Rocks Ted Shot ball not returning
- Broken left outlane plastic
- Soren's ROM (not yet installed)
- Cliffy's ordered
- Tilt bob ordered
Next on my list is the right diverter behind Red's head. A ball hit up the right ramp would oftentimes bounce back down the ramp. For now I disabled the diverter. Upon further investigation I found that the linkage spring had snapped off of the diverter blade. I have ordered a new spring and that should fix the issue. I forgot to take a pic of the mechanism before I started disassembly. If possible, could somebody pull their playfield forward and take a pic of the diverter assembly mounted to the back-board from the top (looking down) I would greatly appreciate it!!
I love working on my machines, but I have a tendency to foul things up. A pic would work wonders!

Hope these help. I had to replace that spring as well. I didn't have the tool to remove the pins so along with the spring I also ordered the complete part. The plunger with spring attached. Was easier to swap than just the spring.

IMG_1628 (resized).jpegIMG_1628 (resized).jpegIMG_1634 (resized).jpegIMG_1634 (resized).jpegIMG_1635 (resized).jpegIMG_1635 (resized).jpeg
#3256 1 year ago
Quoted from SimplePin:

Hope these help.

Perfect - thank you SimplePin !

I looked around for the plunger/spring combo. Marco was out, and I could never get confirmation from two other places that what they had listed was actually in stock. So, I just ordered the spring (3 of them in case I mess it up). I'm going to try my luck at attaching the spring without removing the pin. It was hard to get off, so I can imagine getting a new one on will be harder.

More repairs & mods to come!

#3257 1 year ago

A few more oddities discovered, and a few explained. First the issues...

#1 - My flippers are working fine. But, I think I may have an issue with the flipper buttons or board. Starting last night I can't "buy" any souvenirs. Whenever I'm presented with the choice to hit the left flipper for No, or the right flipper for Yes, the right flipper will not accept my choice. When I flip I have no problems. When I enter my initials I have no problem with the right flipper advancing the selection. Go figure.

#2 - I noticed that the top line of the DMD looked a little "wavy". See the pic outlined in blue). And sometimes when there are two lines of text on the display the very top pixel line of each line of text is a little dimmer than the rest (see yellow arrows). Is this a function of the display itself or the display board? I'm planning on getting a Color DMD, but am in no rush. Overall the display looks fine for the most part.

Now the explained.

On boot up I was getting a Test Error stating that my Right Ramp Diverter was disabled. This was correct, as I am waiting on a new linkage spring. But I also got two switch errors. One was the #72 Rt. Ramp Exit Center, and #55 Rt Ramp Exit Left. After consulting the manual, I realized by disabling the Right Ramp diverter, the #72 switch was giving the error as it hadn't been tripped in a while (due to the diverter). I tested it and it works fine. #55 was that a small screw (not sure where it came from) had wedged the switch down. Screw removed, problem solved.

Anyway - any suggestions or advice on the issues above would be appreciated.

005 (resized).JPG005 (resized).JPG
#3258 1 year ago

Quick question to all Roadshow owners. Has anyone installed a color LED DMD Display running the Soren chip. Thinking of ordering one but the firmware states L-6 but the Soren chip is rev. 7.

Randy got back to me from ColorDMD Displays and said he was not aware of any issues. Just thought I would double check here first before ordering. His displays are back in stock as well.

Thanks in advance!

#3259 1 year ago
Quoted from nvu4prod:

Quick question to all Roadshow owners. Has anyone installed a color LED DMD Display running the Soren chip. Thinking of ordering one but the firmware states L-6 but the Soren chip is rev. 7.
Randy got back to me from ColorDMD Displays and said he was not aware of any issues. Just thought I would double check here first before ordering. His displays are back in stock as well.
Thanks in advance!

I have it and no problems...

#3260 1 year ago
Quoted from nvu4prod:

firmware states L-6 but the Soren chip is rev. 7

I think it is L-6 code, revision 7. Maybe soren can confirm.

#3261 1 year ago

pudealee try running the screen test in service mode.

#3262 1 year ago
Quoted from monkfe:

I just put in the LCD in mine and it works fine also

#3263 1 year ago
Quoted from clempo:

try running the screen test in service mode.

Hey clempo - I Ran the test and nothing really popped out as being an issue. I can live with it until I get my Color DMD. But I am curious if it is the display that is starting to have issues or the controller board.

#3264 1 year ago
Quoted from pudealee:

Hey clempo - I Ran the test and nothing really popped out as being an issue. I can live with it until I get my Color DMD. But I am curious if it is the display that is starting to have issues or the controller board.

Try jiggling and resetting your ribbon cable connectors. You need to do this to the ribbon cable from the DMD board to the DMD screen, but also the ribbon cables from the CPU board to the DMD controller board in the backbox. I had weird pixels on my DMD this week and that fixed it for me.

#3265 1 year ago

I love to jiggle! I'll give it a shot.

#3266 1 year ago

If anyone has a spare flying rocks plastic, please message me. Mine is missing and someone just tossed a broken left sling plastic in there to cover the bulb.

SmartSelect_20220722-031927_eBay (resized).jpgSmartSelect_20220722-031927_eBay (resized).jpg
#3267 1 year ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

If anyone has a spare flying rocks plastic, please message me. Mine is missing and someone just tossed a broken left sling plastic in there to cover the bulb.[quoted image]

I have one but I’m in Australia
However will be stateside from August 1 if you want to wait, I can bring it with me

#3268 1 year ago
Quoted from monkfe:

Quoted from firefighter:

I just put in the LCD in mine and it works fine also

Thank you for confirming! Will let Randy know when I place my order!

#3269 1 year ago

Edit - removed pop bumper GI question...

Update - I got my right rear diverter fixed - and new spring did the job. But, in the process I totally torqued my right cabinet slide. I took it off and tried to fix it, but it won't latch. Oh well.

#3270 1 year ago

Was watching a youtube stream by Bowen on this game that just popped up in my browser, anyway was watching Bowen do his thing and he came to a point in the game where he says you can get to "construction mania" or something like that...but that it was a certain button press and that he missed it so he never actually played that part of the game...so how do you get to it and what actually is it?

#3271 1 year ago
Quoted from monkfe:

Was watching a youtube stream by Bowen on this game that just popped up in my browser, anyway was watching Bowen do his thing and he came to a point in the game where he says you can get to "construction mania" or something like that...but that it was a certain button press and that he missed it so he never actually played that part of the game...so how do you get to it and what actually is it?

When Bob is lit, you visit Bob and if the sign says "Uranium Ore $3 a Chunk", quickly press both flippers. Construction Mania is a 20 second round where every switch is worth 3 million.

#3272 1 year ago

Ugh - two steps forward, one step back.

I've had my Road Show for exactly one week. I've been fixing minor issues like replacing bulbs, replacing sockets, fixing the diverter behind Red, and such. After I replaced a pop-bumper light socket, I fired up a game and realized that an entire column (column 3) is out. These switches are mostly on the right side of the game (two skill shot switches, shooter lane, radio stand-ups, Red Stand Ups, and so on).

I can diagnose and fix small things, but I have no clue where to start on a matter like this. I have a multimeter, but am not really sure what to check. Any help and advice on where to begin and how to fix would be greatly appreciated.

#3273 1 year ago
Quoted from pudealee:

Ugh - two steps forward, one step back.
I've had my Road Show for exactly one week. I've been fixing minor issues like replacing bulbs, replacing sockets, fixing the diverter behind Red, and such. After I replaced a pop-bumper light socket, I fired up a game and realized that an entire column (column 3) is out. These switches are mostly on the right side of the game (two skill shot switches, shooter lane, radio stand-ups, Red Stand Ups, and so on).
I can diagnose and fix small things, but I have no clue where to start on a matter like this. I have a multimeter, but am not really sure what to check. Any help and advice on where to begin and how to fix would be greatly appreciated.

Rule number one if something suddenly stop working and you did some work just before it is to revisit what you did and look for problems like a short, loose cable and so on.

As the pop bumpers are on the right side of the game, same as the missing switch column, it seems probable that you somehow shorted GI to that column and if so you will most probably have to change a specific switch matrix IC in the backbox (forgot exactly which IC it is now) that always goes bad when this happens as it can't handle the high current from the GI.

#3274 1 year ago
Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

change a specific switch matrix IC

Lhyrgoif when you say IC would that be like the U20 on the CPU board? That's the chip mentioned on the switch matrix.

#3275 1 year ago
Quoted from pudealee:

Lhyrgoif when you say IC would that be like the U20 on the CPU board? That's the chip mentioned on the switch matrix.

Yes

#3276 1 year ago

My switch matrix issue with all column 3 switches being out is fixed! It was the U20 chip. Popped a new one in there, and she's good to go!! Thanks for all the help.

Now I'm looking to fix that string of GI in the back box.

447672936385d2955fa66c57736ae84a762d4cfb (resized).jpg447672936385d2955fa66c57736ae84a762d4cfb (resized).jpg
#3277 1 year ago

Looks like they’re working.

#3278 1 year ago
Quoted from hlaj78:

Looks like they’re working.

Are those bulbs that are out in the pic above not GI lights? Or, am I confusing something?

#3279 1 year ago
Quoted from pudealee:

Are those bulbs that are out in the pic above not GI lights? Or, am I confusing something?

Both the working and non-working bulbs are part of the GI, check connector J120.

#3280 1 year ago
Quoted from Staffan:

check connector J120.

J120 is secure on the pins. Should I try to re-seat the wires on J120?

#3281 1 year ago
Quoted from pudealee:

Now I'm looking to fix that string of GI in the back box.

They look like the backbox flashers. If sockets are different color than the other is because those are flashers.

#3282 1 year ago
Quoted from Santis:

They look like the backbox flashers. If sockets are different color than the other is because those are flashers.

I'm pretty sure there are no flashers in the backbox of roadshow? If you order a LED backbox kit you get 35 'regular GI bulbs'
There are 35 identical sockets on the insert panel, there are 6 wires coming from these, all are connected at J120 (on mine, could also be seated on J121, they are interchangeable.)
20220726_124421 (resized).jpg20220726_124421 (resized).jpg

Quoted from pudealee:

J120 is secure on the pins. Should I try to re-seat the wires on J120?

You can start with re-seating the connectors (if you haven't already). Try swapping the connectors at J120 and J121, they might already be swapped, the connector with 6 skinnier wires are backbox GI (the manual show J120 as GI to playfield and J121 as GI to insert panel)
Also take a look at J115.

#3283 1 year ago
Quoted from Staffan:

I'm pretty sure there are no flashers in the backbox of roadshow?

I'm not aware of any Lawlor Williams/Bally games that have flashers in the backbox. Most have blinkers tho.

#3284 1 year ago

Have anybody used spots to brighten up the playfield? If so, where did you place them?

#3285 1 year ago
Quoted from pudealee:

Have anybody used spots to brighten up the playfield? If so, where did you place them?

Do you mean extra spots? Ted is supposed to have a spot right in his face. Same for Red.

#3286 1 year ago

Yes - extras.

My Red has a spot. My Ted doesn't. I'll have to put one there. Can somebody post a pic of the Red spot? I can see it somewhat on ipdb.org, but would love to one from the group here.

#3287 1 year ago
Quoted from pudealee:

Yes - extras.
My Red has a spot. My Ted doesn't. I'll have to put one there. Can somebody post a pic of the Red spot? I can see it somewhat on ipdb.org, but would love to one from the group here.

Here is a pic from when I was still working on mine. Teds spotlight attaches to the crossover wireform

27B9160C-D1F4-4E5A-AB0C-46E782DCBCE7 (resized).jpeg27B9160C-D1F4-4E5A-AB0C-46E782DCBCE7 (resized).jpeg
#3288 1 year ago
Quoted from pudealee:

Yes - extras.

The left circle is Ted's light and the right is Red's.

Untitled (resized).jpgUntitled (resized).jpg
#3289 1 year ago

Thanks @jmckune. I suppose I can wire it into any nearby GI light. There was no evidence of a spot being there when got the machine. But it sure needs one there!

#3290 1 year ago
Quoted from pudealee:

Thanks Jmckune. I suppose I can wire it into any nearby GI light. There was no evidence of a spot being there when got the machine. But it sure needs one there!

It has a connector. If you look carefully at my pic there is an insulated black wire that goes back towards the flying rocks ramp and connects there

#3291 1 year ago
Quoted from Jmckune:

It has a connector

I believe mine has been totally removed. No sign of a connector. I think I can mount it in the same place, and possibly run the wires down under the plastic next to the spinner and tap into the GI there.

#3292 1 year ago
Quoted from Staffan:

I'm pretty sure there are no flashers in the backbox of roadshow? If you order a LED backbox kit you get 35 'regular GI bulbs'

Sometimes you have to open a little bit the legs in the new bulbs to do proper contact.

#3293 1 year ago

I finally got a good game play video, getting to the West Coast on Road Show

#3294 1 year ago

GEAR issue.

The teeth on the original gear (white) for Ted sheered off and I ordered a replacement gear (black) through PinballLife. After installing the new gear, Ted's mouth wouldn't work as well. I swapped it with the OEM white gear on Red and found the same problem happening there too.

The gear is too wide, so I purchased another one from PinballLife thinking I had a defective one, but sure enough the second black gear had the same issues. So now I have two brand new black replacement gears from PBL and one mouth on Red that doesn't open and close.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas?

Thanks

#3295 1 year ago

With a first gear too wide, i would have tried my luck with another vendor...

Have you conctacted PBL on this ?

I wonder if you can file the gear to make it a better fit.

#3296 1 year ago
Quoted from CaptainCaverne:

With a first gear too wide, i would have tried my luck with another vendor...
Have you conctacted PBL on this ?
I wonder if you can file the gear to make it a better fit.

Yeah the gear on Marco was out of stock so I was forced to try PBL. It's back in stock now so maybe the Marco one works better.

#3297 1 year ago
Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

Yeah the gear on Marco was out of stock so I was forced to try PBL. It's back in stock now so maybe the Marco one works better.

someone makes a metal version of this gear...just not sure who....

#3298 1 year ago
Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

GEAR issue.
The teeth on the original gear (white) for Ted sheered off and I ordered a replacement gear (black) through PinballLife. After installing the new gear, Ted's mouth wouldn't work as well. I swapped it with the OEM white gear on Red and found the same problem happening there too.
The gear is too wide, so I purchased another one from PinballLife thinking I had a defective one, but sure enough the second black gear had the same issues. So now I have two brand new black replacement gears from PBL and one mouth on Red that doesn't open and close.
Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas?
Thanks

Maybe take some sandpaper and sand it on a flat surface for a temporary fix?

#3299 1 year ago
Quoted from Jmckune:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/10-424
Check manual but I believe 4 of these will get you taken care of

Both of them had eye problems, I went with what you said, they are both fixed now. I replaced all 4 .Thank you for posting that.

#3300 1 year ago

My dozer blade does not lower completely at the end of multiball. It works correctly in test mode. So far I have cleaned the optics and reflowed the solder. What should I try next?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 26.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 63.95
$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 4,082 posts in this topic. You are on page 66 of 82.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/road-show-club-hard-hats-required-on-site/page/66 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.