(Topic ID: 83745)

ROAD SHOW CLUB (Hard hats required on site)

By webdiddy

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,081 posts
  • 463 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 19 hours ago by SimplePin
  • Topic is favorited by 185 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2974 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2975 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2973 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2976 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0854 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0853 (resized).jpeg
20240318_161830 (resized).jpg
roadshow 4 (resized).jpg
roadshow 3 (resized).jpg
roadshow 2 (resized).jpg
Roadshow 1 (resized).jpg
Road show (resized).jpg
red's head (resized).png
20210304_193816 (resized).jpg
IMG_0519 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_8019258_0 (resized).png

There are 4,081 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 82.
#1401 6 years ago
Quoted from alexanr1:

Would be neat to see the original list price in comparison to the current value.

Quoted from lurch:

Someone posted a distributors price sheet from the mid-90s on here about two years ago. I wish I could find that post.... I'm searching....

I wasn't involved in the pricing side of things - I just told my boss what to get. Had I know that.. over twenty years later I'd be wondering about this, I woulda asked to keep a copy of everything. D'oh.

#1402 6 years ago

REPAIRING TED’S BULLDOZER FRONT ON WILLIAM’S ROAD SHOW. MOTOR REBUILD AND PARTS REPLACEMENT. (VIDEO)

In this video I show how to rebuild the motor that raises and lowers the bulldozer front of Ted on my Road Show pinball machine

Blog Post :

https://pinballsupernova.wordpress.com/2018/03/25/pinball-repair-repairing-teds-bulldozer-front-on-williams-road-show-motor-rebuild-and-parts-replacement-video/

Video Post :

Rebuilding Ted Bulldozer Motor  (resized).jpgRebuilding Ted Bulldozer Motor (resized).jpg

#1403 6 years ago

Hello everyone, I have a question about the Road Show I own. The insert in the middle of the playfield that is above the 2x,3,x,4x,5x,6x that reads Light Extra Ball never activates during game play. I know the bulb is good because the insert does work during the game when the lights flash and also during the attract mode. I also rebuilt the connector to the board under the playfield where the insert is located. I was wondering if anyone knows where the bulb is linked or activated from under the playfield and during game play. I also looked at the light matrix and everything on the matrixs work. Thanks for the help

Lee

#1404 6 years ago
Quoted from wiggy07:

Hello everyone, I have a question about the Road Show I own. The insert in the middle of the playfield that is above the 2x,3,x,4x,5x,6x that reads Light Extra Ball never activates during game play. I know the bulb is good because the insert does work during the game when the lights flash and also during the attract mode. I also rebuilt the connector to the board under the playfield where the insert is located. I was wondering if anyone knows where the bulb is linked or activated from under the playfield and during game play. I also looked at the light matrix and everything on the matrixs work. Thanks for the help
Lee

Is extra ball enabled in the menu?

#1405 6 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

Is extra ball enabled in the menu?<

Is extra ball enabled in the menu?

Thanks for the reply...Extra ball and everything else seems to work. The extra ball indicator at the top where the lock indicator is located is working. The extra balls work also in the game. It seems everything else is working except the lighting of the insert above the multipliers. I guess the insert lights when the extra ball is lit? I am not even sure. I never seen the insert lit except for attract mode and when the light show happens on the play field. Also as I indicated above all the light matrixs work also in test mode. Strange...

#1406 6 years ago

Ah, got your point.
You have to score bonus multipliers by shooting bridge outs (Ramps), 2x, 3x... until 6x.
After 6x, next award is extra ball - with red light.
You have to do it in the same ball. After ball drain, bonus resets (unless you have keep bonus award).

#1407 6 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

Ah, got your point.
You have to score bonus multipliers by shooting bridge outs (Ramps), 2x, 3x... until 6x.
After 6x, next award is extra ball - with red light.
You have to do it in the same ball. After ball drain, bonus resets (unless you have keep bonus award).

Davi. You are correct. Thanks so much for the explanation. Much appreciated. I tried what you described and it worked. Goes to show you how often I get past 6 x. Lol

1 week later
#1408 5 years ago

Just snagged a dirty road show. It cleaned up nice I just need to get some US coin mechs in it.

#1409 5 years ago
Quoted from cocomonkeh:

Just snagged a dirty road show. It cleaned up nice I just need to get some US coin mechs in it.

Nice! Welcome to the club! What did you use to clean the playfield with?

1 week later
#1410 5 years ago

Hi there, fellow road workers!

Apologies for that weird, resized pic of Red & Ted´s heads. It doesn´t let me delete it for some reason.

I bought my 2nd pin approx. 4 weeks ago and it´s a Road Show. My wife and me played one a few years ago and she fell in love with it - and i liked it, too. I´m actually collecting arcade games but i always wanted another pin and it had to be a 90s DMD machine. After seeing RS i knew which one i need. My other pin is a 1978 Lucky Seven (Williams System 3).
The RS i bought needed a good cleanup and some minor repairs. Playfield and cabinet are in good shape. Everything on the playfield was covered with a layer of dirt and i think it´s because somebody replaced most of the rubbers with black ones that were falling apart already. I had to remove, disassemble and clean lots of stuff, including Red and Ted. Both had problems with the eye lid coils/plungers. Later, I also did some small mod ideas i shamelessly stole from other members here. My wife helped with cleaning, waxing, then she painted the radio and Red´s lips and I installed a little toy loader.
ToDos: Order screws already missing when i got the machine. Adjust the flippers properly, get a new lock bar (the welding spots came apart on the old one), get the correct legs and a protector/cliffy for the outhole and blast zone.

Thanks,
Joerg

IMG-20180407-WA0035.jpegIMG-20180407-WA0035.jpeg
IMG-20180326-WA0006.jpegIMG-20180326-WA0006.jpeg
IMG_20180323_093839.jpgIMG_20180323_093839.jpg
IMG_20180318_154142.jpgIMG_20180318_154142.jpg
IMG_20180318_135723.jpgIMG_20180318_135723.jpg
IMG_20180318_154210.jpgIMG_20180318_154210.jpg
IMG-20180317-WA0017.jpegIMG-20180317-WA0017.jpeg
IMG_20180412_133927.jpgIMG_20180412_133927.jpg
IMG_20180412_134003.jpgIMG_20180412_134003.jpg
IMG_20180412_133728.jpgIMG_20180412_133728.jpg
IMG_20180412_133751.jpgIMG_20180412_133751.jpg

IMG_20180318_154142[1] (resized).jpgIMG_20180318_154142[1] (resized).jpg

#1411 5 years ago

My apron is pretty trashed. Is there a high-res scan anywhere or does anyone have a good lead on decals?

#1412 5 years ago
Quoted from cocomonkeh:

My apron is pretty trashed. Is there a high-res scan anywhere or does anyone have a good lead on decals?

https://littleshopofgames.com/product/road-show-5-piece-apron-decals/

#1413 5 years ago
Quoted from cocomonkeh:

My apron is pretty trashed.

Apparently many Roadshow aprons rusted very quickly. Very odd issue.

#1414 5 years ago

Unfortunately there are no really good apron decals available. Everyone I saw is too blurred and low res could compared to the real one. I think I'll scan mine so that people could ask me for...

#1415 5 years ago
Quoted from ClarkKent:

Unfortunately there are no really good apron decals available. Everyone I saw is too blurred and low res could compared to the real one. I think I'll scan mine so that people could ask me for...

These aprons I would love to see get remade.

#1416 5 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Apparently many Roadshow aprons rusted very quickly. Very odd issue.

When I restored my Roadshow the apron paint was flaked, the paint looked extremely thin. I got decals for mine from an eBay seller in Belgium, they look great and have held up very well.

#1417 5 years ago

I picked up Road Show on Sunday and am starting to figure the game out and it is a lot of fun. The game is in great condition but I do need to attempt to fix a few things.

For Red, her mouth does not open and need to look into what is wrong with it. I know it gets power so I assume it has something to do with the gears being old. Any recommendations or suggestions of what I should look at before finding parts to fix?

And for Ted, his mouth also does not open and the bulldozer front does not go up.

For both Red and Ted, the eyes work fine but plan on attempting to fix the above issues this weekend. I am going through the thread and have watched the PinballSupernova video rebuilding Ted bulldozer motor but any suggestions or advice would be very much appreciated.

Roadshow Pic (resized).JPGRoadshow Pic (resized).JPG

#1418 5 years ago

There are 2 gears as part of the jaw mechs that wear out:

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8470

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8471

I believe the 1st one is more commonly the one to fail. but I am sure people will argue that.

You can pretty easily check to see if the gears move without hitting a stop point from under the playfield.

Dozer problems can be the opto board, see if the motor attempts to move under test.

#1419 5 years ago

Did you run a test from the menu?

#1420 5 years ago
Quoted from hlaj78:

Did you run a test from the menu?

Yes, ran a test on the bull dozer and it goes up and down. As for the mouths, I can hear the motors moving but nothing is happening. I will look at the gears later tonight when i have some time.

#1421 5 years ago

About to LED Roadshow!

What have you used, or what would you choose to use:

Comet Sunlight White?

OR

Comet Warm White?

(both frosted dome 2SMD)

I've already put Sunlight Whites in the Inserts, but this is more of a GI & backbox question

Have enough of each colour, and used SunLights in TZ, but thinking RS is more of a 'sunny warm' game...

I don't like incandescent, sorry to any purists, so they're not on my shortlist.

cheers!

#1422 5 years ago

Since the bulldozer works during test, I am assuming it is the opto board, where can i find this part and make sure i order the correct part?

As for the motors for the mouths, I take back what i said. I DO NOT hear the motors running during test so i am assuming the motors are either bad or not functioning. The eyes in both Red and Ted work fine, open and shut and look from side to side. I found the motor (9-18VDC - Radioshack part #) but I am not able to find this motor anywhere. I am going to take apart the motors this weekend and clean them up and follow the walk through that was posted by PinballSupernova (https://pinballsupernova.wordpress.com/2018/03/25/pinball-repair-repairing-teds-bulldozer-front-on-williams-road-show-motor-rebuild-and-parts-replacement-video/).

I would prefer to replace the motors since they are relatively cheap but might as well take the motors apart and clean them since i am unable to find them. Any suggestions where I can find this motor? Or any suggestions for me to look at while I am trying to fix these issues?

#1423 5 years ago

I can recommend the Great Lakes Modular Opto Board for the blade; http://www.greatlakesmodular.com

The blade operates in the game via the ball travelling and being detected by the eddy boards on the underside of the play field, the original ones are known the deteriorate over time. They have a pot that allows them to be adjusted which would be worth a look at. Replacement ones of these can be purchased from Pinbits.

#1424 5 years ago
Quoted from kechlesurf:

Since the bulldozer works during test, I am assuming it is the opto board, where can i find this part and make sure i order the correct part?
As for the motors for the mouths, I take back what i said. I DO NOT hear the motors running during test so i am assuming the motors are either bad or not functioning. The eyes in both Red and Ted work fine, open and shut and look from side to side. I found the motor (9-18VDC - Radioshack part #) but I am not able to find this motor anywhere. I am going to take apart the motors this weekend and clean them up and follow the walk through that was posted by PinballSupernova (https://pinballsupernova.wordpress.com/2018/03/25/pinball-repair-repairing-teds-bulldozer-front-on-williams-road-show-motor-rebuild-and-parts-replacement-video/).
I would prefer to replace the motors since they are relatively cheap but might as well take the motors apart and clean them since i am unable to find them. Any suggestions where I can find this motor? Or any suggestions for me to look at while I am trying to fix these issues?

Reading your posts and having a RS myself and having dealt with bulldozer, jaw and eye issues, I recommend you lift the playfield and run the various tests while watching what happens. You will unlikely be unable to diagnose the real problem from the top of the playfield. I had to take the head apart to diagnose eye issues.

#1425 5 years ago
Quoted from kechlesurf:

When you ran the bulldozer test opto board register properly. It shows open and closed and makes a tone and shows an X as it goes up and down.

My problem with my bulldozer ended up being a bad connection all the way at the MPU board. I had a poor connection with the connector to the board.

My dozer tests always showed all was good.

#1426 5 years ago
Quoted from alexanr1:

Reading your posts and having a RS myself and having dealt with bulldozer, jaw and eye issues, I recommend you lift the playfield and run the various tests while watching what happens. You will unlikely be unable to diagnose the real problem from the top of the playfield. I had to take the head apart to diagnose eye issues.

I did that the other day and I know the motors for Red and Ted do not run. I am hoping one day this weekend to have a few hours to take the motors out and clean them up a little to see if that helps.

#1427 5 years ago
Quoted from kechlesurf:

I did that the other day and I know the motors for Red and Ted do not run. I am hoping one day this weekend to have a few hours to take the motors out and clean them up a little to see if that helps.

Really surprised that both motors are shot. Possible, but not what I would expect. Would be interesting to check them separately. Run power and see if they spin. Wouldn’t be surprised if something else was the root issue. Start with what you know isn’t working.

1 week later
#1428 5 years ago

Just joined the club! While I don’t love the theme, it is growing on me. The shots in this game are great. Just need an upgraded rom to fix some of the bugs and to settle down that shaker motor.

#1429 5 years ago

Hey all! I'm cleaning up a Road Show I picked up a few months ago and came across a question. The manual calls out a green spring and a white spring for the plunger springs but it really doesn't clarify which is left and which is right. If I put the white spring on the left shooter/plunger, it's impossible to hit Ted during Flying Rocks.

Can anyone confirm which spring type they have installed or do you all keep both of them the same?

#1430 5 years ago
Quoted from tjprice222:

Hey all! I'm cleaning up a Road Show I picked up a few months ago and came across a question. The manual calls out a green spring and a white spring for the plunger springs but it really doesn't clarify which is left and which is right. If I put the white spring on the left shooter/plunger, it's impossible to hit Ted during Flying Rocks.
Can anyone confirm which spring type they have installed or do you all keep both of them the same?

The spring with higher tension should go on the left.

1 week later
#1431 5 years ago

Hi all... Does anyone know where I might be able to get a replacement for the under playfield bracket that hold the motor and gears for Red's mouth? My machine was fitted with a Funhouse bracket when bought and has never worked. The gears are too tight against each other.

Cheers for the help!

#1432 5 years ago

Last night while i was playing Road Show, I noticed that the magnet that senses the ball that hits the bulldozer to advance to the next day stopped working (hoping the magnet is the issue). When I get home today, I will look under the playfield for the small green board right under where the ball would travel to see if it needs to be adjusted.

I am hoping that will fix it but if it doesn't, any other suggestions of what it could be?

#1433 5 years ago
Quoted from kechlesurf:

if it needs to be adjusted.

Adjusting it fixes it 99% of the time.
Tiny amount of turning the adjustment screw will usually fix it.
Need to move a ball across the surface of the playfield while you make the adjustment to verify that it's set correctly.

1 week later
#1434 5 years ago
Quoted from razoraustralia:

I can recommend the Great Lakes Modular Opto Board for the blade; http://www.greatlakesmodular.com
The blade operates in the game via the ball travelling and being detected by the eddy boards on the underside of the play field, the original ones are known the deteriorate over time. They have a pot that allows them to be adjusted which would be worth a look at. Replacement ones of these can be purchased from Pinbits.

I am looking at the Great Lakes Modular Opto Board (RS-BOB Road Show Blade Interrupter Board) as I went under the playfield and adjusted mine until the red light came on and then backed it down a little so it went off and tested it. It did not recognize the pinball above it. Going to order one of these and swap it out and hopefully that fixes the issue.

#1435 5 years ago
Quoted from kechlesurf:

I am looking at the Great Lakes Modular Opto Board (RS-BOB Road Show Blade Interrupter Board) as I went under the playfield and adjusted mine until the red light came on and then backed it down a little so it went off and tested it. It did not recognize the pinball above it. Going to order one of these and swap it out and hopefully that fixes the issue.

I´m not quite sure if I can follow your logic here. What you tried to adjust was the Eddy board, what you´re going to replace is the Interrupter Board. That doesn´t make sense to me. If the Eddy board doesn´t recognize blade hits, then you should replace the Eddy board. But maybe I´m missing something here....

Edit: the Interrupter Board can be tested with the Blade Test (T.16) from the menu.

#1436 5 years ago

After figuring out that adjusting the eddy board does not fix the issue, i guess the next step is trying to find another eddy board to replace it. I looked around and couldnt find one anywhere and there was a link earlier in this thread that had a link to the company that sells it but they were sold out.

What other options do i have to fix the eddy board? The game is still a lot of fun to play but definitely takes away from it when you cant get multiball, or smash taxis.

#1438 5 years ago

Kechlesurf: You are confusing two boards and their purpose.

The Opto interupt board is the one on the bracket that also holds the blade lift motor. Its purpose is to read the slots on the black wheel and let the game know what position the blade is in, "Up" or "Down". The great lakes replacement board, RS-BOB is for this. The original board and the RS-bob don't have any adjustments on them. It wont help with your issue.

The eddy board is the one with the adjustment and the red LEDs, and that's the one that tells the game the ball is hitting the dozer blade. The adjustment on there is really touchy and since this game likes to shake itself to literal pieces at times, prone to broken solder connections.

#1439 5 years ago

Greetings Road Showers. I joined the club two weeks ago, trading for a Road Show. I've been fixing it up over the past couple of weeks. Here's some before and after pictures of the front that I re-did and some flipper toppers that I added. Question, does anyone make an overlay to cover the dreaded fish wear area? I tried one set of decals but they weren't great and my wear spot is much lower than what it covered.

32742000_2076626572625806_725571365301649408_n (resized).jpg32742000_2076626572625806_725571365301649408_n (resized).jpg

32629424_2076626642625799_648716103815528448_n (resized).jpg32629424_2076626642625799_648716103815528448_n (resized).jpg

32903104_10212920797869709_2658374302826496_n (resized).jpg32903104_10212920797869709_2658374302826496_n (resized).jpg

#1440 5 years ago
Quoted from purplemunkydishw:

Kechlesurf: You are confusing two boards and their purpose.
The Opto interupt board is the one on the bracket that also holds the blade lift motor. Its purpose is to read the slots on the black wheel and let the game know what position the blade is in, "Up" or "Down". The great lakes replacement board, RS-BOB is for this. The original board and the RS-bob don't have any adjustments on them. It wont help with your issue.
The eddy board is the one with the adjustment and the red LEDs, and that's the one that tells the game the ball is hitting the dozer blade. The adjustment on there is really touchy and since this game likes to shake itself to literal pieces at times, prone to broken solder connections.

You are correct, when i asked about the board the other day, i misunderstood what i was told. So not worried about the Opto interrupt board as the blade goes up and down during test.

I have adjusted the eddy board to turn the light on then slightly back to turn it back off. It did not stop working all at once but slowly got worse and worse over a couple week period to not working at all now. And the shaker motor does not work right now and that is what i will look into next (hoping that is an easy fix similar to Earthshaker). But i will look at the solder connections and redo them to make sure they are good and clean and hopefully that will fix it but will have to wait and see.

#1441 5 years ago

Shaker motor can be turned off and on in the menu settings. Also low and high. On the adjustment for the sensors. I had to on mine. Crank the pot all the way up and down, many times. Over time the pot being set to same basic position. It gets slightly corroded. Pot not linear any more. This will clean the contacts. After that it will take a few tries in the test mode running ball past the Eddy sensor to get it dailed back in. You will need to tweak it back in. Reajust probably 3 times. Over a month.

#1442 5 years ago

If looking to replace that coin door. See my post about generic coin door. A few minor modifications and around 70 shipped you have a new door and bezel. With 2 coin slots.

#1443 5 years ago

Ok I’m sure i posted this before but can someone make me a nice fish decal to cover my wear . Just curious , I don’t want to but a whole set for 1 small decal

#1444 5 years ago
Quoted from Phatchit:

Ok I’m sure i posted this before but can someone make me a nice fish decal to cover my wear . Just curious , I don’t want to but a whole set for 1 small decal

+1 me too!

#1446 5 years ago

same boat here, my fish wear extends totally into the map and none on the fish itself, it would be an easy airbrush job, but its not a solid color with the dithering dots.

#1447 5 years ago
Quoted from tonyf1965:

Shaker motor can be turned off and on in the menu settings. Also low and high. On the adjustment for the sensors. I had to on mine. Crank the pot all the way up and down, many times. Over time the pot being set to same basic position. It gets slightly corroded. Pot not linear any more. This will clean the contacts. After that it will take a few tries in the test mode running ball past the Eddy sensor to get it dailed back in. You will need to tweak it back in. Reajust probably 3 times. Over a month.

Thanks for the response and info Tony. Can you elaborate more on what you mean by "pot"? Are you referring to the dial/screw that turns the light on and off?

#1448 5 years ago

Yes, he is referring to the dial/ screw. Pot is short for potentiometer.

#1449 5 years ago
Quoted from hlaj78:

Yes, he is referring to the dial/ screw. Pot is short for potentiometer.

Thanks for the clarification hlaj78. I plan on getting under the playfield this weekend to see what if I can get it working. Also going to go through the settings and hope the shaker is turned off and replace the gears for the bulldozer and Red's jaw. I am kind of learning as I go and doing a lot of reading so will see what happens.

#1450 5 years ago

It sure is a great game really fast. I really like it. Put a color DMD in mine.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 37.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Boards
PinSound
Boards
4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
There are 4,081 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 82.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/road-show-club-hard-hats-required-on-site/page/29?hl=kechlesurf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.