(Topic ID: 83745)

ROAD SHOW CLUB (Hard hats required on site)

By webdiddy

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,082 posts
  • 463 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 days ago by PPS
  • Topic is favorited by 186 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

36-50024 (resized).jpg
IMG_2974 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2975 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2973 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2976 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0854 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0853 (resized).jpeg
20240318_161830 (resized).jpg
roadshow 4 (resized).jpg
roadshow 3 (resized).jpg
roadshow 2 (resized).jpg
Roadshow 1 (resized).jpg
Road show (resized).jpg
red's head (resized).png
20210304_193816 (resized).jpg
IMG_0519 (resized).jpeg
There are 4,082 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 82.
#901 7 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

I would recommend fixing that asap actually, because it can cause more damage to other parts, especially if it is being caused by the centering flange missing (which is almost always the cause of the eyes not closing.)

Maybe a dumb question but what's the centering flange look like?

#902 7 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Maybe a dumb question but what's the centering flange look like?

Straight from pinbits; it's the round black part (some good info in the link as well.) Pinbits carries the part, its 6 bucks. Don't cheap out on the original 2 dollar nylon one. I installed a delrinnone in my funhouse 14 years ago, and it's held out fine.

http://www.iobium.com/funhouse_plunger_plastics.htm

(Sorry if I sound short. Woke up early to smoke a 12 lb pork butt, and my 2 year old decided to join me)

#903 7 years ago

Here's a shot of the old centering flange, I replaced with new ones from Marco on both Red and Ted.

20170327_192635 (resized).jpg20170327_192635 (resized).jpg

#904 7 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Centering flange is gone, or if it is there, the coil that controls the up/down on the eyelids is either mis-aligned, or heat stressed. Mine had the same problem.

Can you link me the part no. please?

I am capable of looking, but your experience will help avoid buying a multitude of unnecessary parts prior to opening Ted up...

Eyes work left & right, just Teds eyelids that seem lazy.

#905 7 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

I am capable of looking, but your experience will help avoid buying a multitude of unnecessary parts prior to opening Ted up...

Post 902 links to the nice basic guide pinbits does. I have done about a half dozen heads spread between roadshow and funhouse, and Ted I will usually replace all the old plastic parts with the delrin stuff they sell. (Since he is a pain). You can get pretty much all you need from them except the coils. I don't have the part #s or a manual handy at the moment, sorry.

#906 7 years ago

Went to order those parts you guys suggested from pinbits and they are sold out.
I sent an email to ask if more would be coming.

That looks like the way to do it once and do it right.

Thanks for the info.

#907 7 years ago
Quoted from BigLebowski:

The switches in the bunker can be a pain in the ass and kinda hard to diagnose. I had similar problems with them being inconsistent. Fortunately it´s very easy to remove the whole assembly from the underside of the pf. Just disconnect two connectors and remove the 4 screws which hold the assembly to the pf. You have to move the diverter assembly a little bit to get to the 4th screw. You can do this by just removing two screws from the diverter and loosening the third. This way you can move it aside enough to get to the 4th screw.
Once you have the assembly out you can adjust the switches very easily.

Glad you said something, that assembly really did come out easy from the bottom. I would have never thought it was that simple.
Which was good because there was a switch you can't see on the backside which was mangled and wedged inside the slot. I spent all my time messing with the front two before.
So far so good after a few games. Completely changes how the game plays.
Thanks,
Joe

#908 7 years ago
Quoted from Kingsley73:

Here's a shot of the old centering flange, I replaced with new ones from Marco on both Red and Ted.

Thats not the centering flange.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8486

what you have a picture of is the crank arm..

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-19258

#909 7 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

lazy lids are like one of these are worn or cracked...

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-14028

http://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=a-14030

or the coils are too swollen and the mech isn't moving correctly.

#910 7 years ago
Quoted from jcar302:

Glad you said something, that assembly really did come out easy from the bottom. I would have never thought it was that simple.
Which was good because there was a switch you can't see on the backside which was mangled and wedged inside the slot. I spent all my time messing with the front two before.
So far so good after a few games. Completely changes how the game plays.
Thanks,
Joe

If the switch was mangled inside the slot it´s likely that it´s the wrong wireform. The rectangular leg at the end of the wire might be too short. That was the case on my RS.

#911 7 years ago
Quoted from BigLebowski:

If the switch was mangled inside the slot it´s likely that it´s the wrong wireform. The rectangular leg at the end of the wire might be too short. That was the case on my RS.

I think the wire was ok but worked it's way into the slot and then the ball messed it up.

It's the third time on this pin I found a wire inside the slot. Maybe they used cheap switches, just seems they have a lot of wobble and deflection and I guess the ball pushes it to the side and the little bend that is supposed to keep it from falling through gets by.

On another note, my lockdown bar is messed up (or at lest I think so). Slides down off the machine. I don't know exactly what it's supposed to look like, but mine looks like it has fresh welds on it.
If I push it forward it fits right, so I'm thinking that the bracket inside is too far forward. Is there a fix for this? Cut it loose and reweld?

20170418_181839 (resized).jpg20170418_181839 (resized).jpg

20170418_181832 (resized).jpg20170418_181832 (resized).jpg

20170418_181836 (resized).jpg20170418_181836 (resized).jpg

#912 6 years ago

Just joined the club. Picked up a RS on the weekend. Game was super dirty, has some playfield wear which has had decals put over. Still can't believe how much fun the game is. So many shots! My kids love the talking heads. However for someone who is not very mechanically inclined is it not recommended to try to take apart and fix them? Mouths work. Ted eyes work but eyelids don't close all the way. Red is a real mess, mouth works but I think that is about it. Also the game does not shake so shaker must have been removed. What shaker would I install for that? I assume easy to do? This game is a hidden gem!! Can't believe I have barely played it before now.

#913 6 years ago

Has anyone maybe done a video on removing and repairing Ted and Red. Seems like it could get some serious views!!!

#914 6 years ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

Has anyone maybe done a video on removing and repairing Ted and Red. Seems like it could get some serious views!!!

They are both the same more or less but Red is waaayyy easier to remove. Theres a few proprietary parts in there that are likely worn out or disconnected. If you can fix her, you can fix Ted but the ramp has to come off to get at him. There's plenty of how-tos around if you need them. Parts are available generally. I did mine not long ago so might be able to answer some questions.

Good price i saw on that game. Was surprised it didn't go faster.

#915 6 years ago
Quoted from pkrobin:

They are both the same more or less but Red is waaayyy easier to remove. Theres a few proprietary parts in there that are likely worn out or disconnected. If you can fix her, you can fix Ted but the ramp has to come off to get at him. There's plenty of how-tos around if you need them. Parts are available generally. I did mine not long ago so might be able to answer some questions.
Good price i saw on that game. Was surprised it didn't go faster.

I have yet to see any guides or videos on how to pop ted or break down the playfield and ive been searching for a long while

#916 6 years ago
Quoted from Mrawesome44:

I have yet to see any guides or videos on how to pop ted or break down the playfield and ive been searching for a long while

For ted, pretty much every ramp has to come out. Then the under passage path. Then bulldozer. Then remove hat and the fring and back of the heads. Disconnect jaw gear and motor setup, then turn it to remove from jaw.

It's really not bad to get down to just ted. Take pics, label connectors, and anybody can do it

#917 6 years ago
Quoted from Mrawesome44:

I've not really looked for something showing removal. Start with Red, take hat, face, back off. Remove the 4 or 5 woodscrews from underneath and that should be enough to remove it. Disconnect the jaw from the motor of course also.

Ted is harder, need the ramp off to get at the one bulldozer bolt. Then its pretty similar.

There's detailed step by step around after the heads are out. And a video or the manual also helps. Take lots of pictures.

#918 6 years ago

Thanks. This really seems like a game that the time to repair would be worth the effort because the beads are so cool. I hope tackle the job sometime but for now just going to play and enjoy.

What about the shaker? Easy enough to replace / add back in?

#919 6 years ago

Apparently it didn't come standard with a Shaker. Mine has one. Maybe check the manual.

#920 6 years ago
Quoted from pkrobin:

Apparently it didn't come standard with a Shaker. Mine has one. Maybe check the manual.

Yes, it did. All roadshows have them.

#921 6 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Yes, it did. All roadshows have them.

It's an integral part of the game.

#922 6 years ago

Check the solder connections to the shaker. Maybe one was shaken off

#923 6 years ago

I don't remember, but can the shaker be turned off in the menu?

#924 6 years ago
Quoted from hlaj78:

I don't remember, but can the shaker be turned off in the menu?

Yes it can

#925 6 years ago

I am not at the game so will check later but is the shaker in the usual "stern" place at the lower left side of the cabinet where the tilt bob is?

#926 6 years ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

I am not at the game so will check later but is the shaker in the usual "stern" place at the lower left side of the cabinet where the tilt bob is?

Yes

#927 6 years ago

Watch this series of videos and you will learn all you need to now on how the assemblies work. Rudy is mechanically identical to red under the plastics. Ted is also the same except swallowed balls travel down a subway to the lock trough, so he doesn't have the eject solenoid on the bottom.

#928 6 years ago
Quoted from Mrawesome44:

I tried to do one when I had Ted out last month but none of the video came out well.

Here is what I can recall from memory:

1) Begin with the metal habbitrails, on red's side first, then the crossover, and finally the "falling rocks" shooter ramp. There are several switches and lights attached to that one, but everything is on a connector and easy to find while you are pulling it off. There are a couple screws along the edge that can be a bit tricky to get to, a long extension helps a ton. The front of the ramp has 2 flat head screws under the playfield that hold it down.

2) Next, take red's and ted's helmets off and remove the faces, be careful with these as they are unobtainium, they screw in on the sides of the faces under the helmet and slide out.

3) to remove ted's ramp, you will need to remove the diverter arm entirely, find the link arm under the playfield, loosen the allen screw and slide the arm out. Unplug everything and remove the needed screws. You need to do this before red's as there are ramp flap screws under the ted ramp where the ball returns to the playfield when the ball does the full orbit shot around ted.

4) remove red's ramp. There are some lights and switches to deal with, but they just unplug. There is a tab on this ramp that sticks out the back of the flasher apron into the diverter bracket, you can just loosen the screen and hold the diverter arm out of the way while you slide the ramp out. Don't forget the ramp flap screws in the back.

5) there are a couple of blue plastics you will need to remove to get easy access to the dozer bolts, take these out.

6) remove the dozer opto board.

7) the dozer lift arm is attached to the motor cam with a spring that wraps around it, unclip from one end and let the arm free.

8 ) there are 2 bolts on either side of ted for the dozer, undo these. a ratcheting wrench or low profile ratchet will help here. Lift the dozer out.

9) you will need to unbolt the lock eject solenoid assembly under the playfield to the left of ted to clear for the next step...(4 screws)

10) remove the subway from under ted. (4 screws)

11) unplug and unbolt the mouth motor bracket under ted, (4 screws.)

12) the link arm from the motor to the jaw has a notched keyway, you should be able to rotate the gear a bit to free it from ted's jaw.

13) remove all screws and spacers on the side of ted's frame.

14) Unplug and unbolt ted from underneath. he will wiggle out from the playfield.(4 screws) on mine only one is a machine screw with a t-nut and the others are wood screws. Dunno if this is normal, but pay attention on yours.

This is just of the top of my head, I might have missed something but I think I have it all in there.

Red is pretty much just removing the helmet, face and back of head plastics from above and the screws that hold them, remove the mouth motor from underneath, unhook the jaw link, pull the 4 screws from red's base, and she wiggles out.

#929 6 years ago

Thanks for the help. I took Red out since so easy to examine. However nothing looks to be broken. When I push the eyes back and forth they stick on one side so that is what is happening they stick and won't come unstuck. The eyelids I can't get to move at all.

When I test it, just makes humming noises when the eyes and lids are to move. The eyes will go back and forth a couple times and then stick frozen.

So what now? I am afraid to take apart all the coils and pieces. Worried I might do more hard then good. But I guess they are all likely siezed up? Can they be fixed or so the coils likely need to be replaced. Any suggestions where to go from here?

IMG_3088 (resized).JPGIMG_3088 (resized).JPG

IMG_3089 (resized).JPGIMG_3089 (resized).JPG

#930 6 years ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

Thanks for the help. I took Red out since so easy to examine. However nothing looks to be broken. When I push the eyes back and forth they stick on one side so that is what is happening they stick and won't come unstuck. The eyelids I can't get to move at all.
When I test it, just makes humming noises when the eyes and lids are to move. The eyes will go back and forth a couple times and then stick frozen.
So what now? I am afraid to take apart all the coils and pieces. Worried I might do more hard then good. But I guess they are all likely siezed up? Can they be fixed or so the coils likely need to be replaced. Any suggestions where to go from here?

Let's start with the eyelids. Do they move easily by hand when you push them? If so, great, if not, you may need to do some minor repair. On both sides of the frame, there are two small brass eyelets that the tensioning rod for the eyes goes through. On one side, remove the nut holding the eyelet in place, and pull out that small rod. Do the eyes move freely then? If so, you will need to replace the brass eyelets (especially if they both look heavily worn, which they probably are.) make sure the torsion bar is nice and even too. If it isn't, you can find a replacement at most hobby stores with a similar diameter. Always get the closest, but don't go for a smaller diameter if they don't have the exact size, get the slightly larger.

Now if they are still sticking, you will need to pull apart the eyes. Remove the 'oh shit! Clip, from the crank armand then remove the screws holding the eyes in on each side, and the eyes should just release. Either your crank arm is cracked, or someone oiled something. Either way clean up the parts. Using a Dem, check the ohms for the coils. One may have been burnt up and is causing the seizing. If they both read the same, great. (Not sure of the ohm reading for the coils)

Eyelids: can you hear these trying to fire in the head tests? If not you could have wires that have broken off the coil, one or more coils could be bad, or the preserve/drive transistors for the coils could be bad. Before doing anything, use your DMM and test those predrive and drive transistors. (Check your manual for which ones. If you don't have a manual, look on ipdb.org for now, and place an order for one.). Replace these if needed. Trust me, you don't want to replace a coil, plug it in, and have it burn up right away!

Anyways, if the transistors are good, Check the ohms on the coils with your DMM, and replace if needed. In my experience, these coils have always been the ones that have been stressed and I've had to replace. But don't replace them unless you absolutely have to. No reason to spend the money if they are ok.

If you can hear them trying to fire, then the vertical coil (that opens the eyelids) is most likely missing the centering flange (which it appears to have missing in your picture) which will make the mechs bind up. Order from pinbits.com in the links above. You may need to order the vertical plunger (that opens the eyes) if the end is all chewed up from hitting the wood over and over.

If the flange is there, you may just need to realign the parts and get them all nice and even. They shouldn't be oil anywhere, everything runs dry.

Hope this helps somewhat. It's all from memory, so there may be some errors. I strongly suggest you get the manual if you don't have one already. The exploded view of the heads is a pretty decent diagram that shows how it goes together.

#931 6 years ago

i bought the one in norwood mass.
the eyes on red not moving at all.
rebuilt the entire assembly total cost 166.00 all parts from marco

IMG_0916 (resized).JPGIMG_0916 (resized).JPG

IMG_0939 (resized).JPGIMG_0939 (resized).JPG

IMG_0940 (resized).JPGIMG_0940 (resized).JPG

IMG_0942 (resized).JPGIMG_0942 (resized).JPG

IMG_0944 (resized).JPGIMG_0944 (resized).JPG

IMG_0949 (resized).JPGIMG_0949 (resized).JPG

IMG_0950 (resized).JPGIMG_0950 (resized).JPG

IMG_1210 (resized).JPGIMG_1210 (resized).JPG

IMG_1211 (resized).JPGIMG_1211 (resized).JPG

IMG_1212 (resized).JPGIMG_1212 (resized).JPG

IMG_1213 (resized).JPGIMG_1213 (resized).JPG

#932 6 years ago

Lolol too funny. But seriously creepy haha. Instantly reminded me of Leatherface from Texas chainsaw massacre.

IMG_6079 (resized).PNGIMG_6079 (resized).PNG

1 week later
#933 6 years ago

Hey gang,
I've got a weird issue with the board that controls the jaw motors. Please look at the link below, it's got me stumped!
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/roadshow-motor-board-help#post-3754662

Added over 7 years ago: Edit : fixed! Resistor went bad. Will be dealing with teds eyes after pagg.

2 weeks later
#934 6 years ago

Hey all, picked up a RS a couple weeks ago, great game!

Upgraded with a ColorDMD (led). Which rocks. Also have the OCD LED, which really impressed me.

Everything works except Red's eyes don't center. Is that probably just dirty parts?

#935 6 years ago

Lazy centering generally is one of three things.

There are copper eyelets on the sides of the frame that the spring bar is held in place by. These wear out.

The spring bar itself is bent.

The crank liner that fits into the crank arm is missing or worn.

#936 6 years ago

Red has developed a lazy jaw --her mouth always opens but doesn't always close. Any suggestions as to what I should check first?

Thanks!

#937 6 years ago
Quoted from chrisnack:

Hey all, picked up a RS a couple weeks ago, great game!
Upgraded with a ColorDMD (led). Which rocks. Also have the OCD LED, which really impressed me.
Everything works except Red's eyes don't center. Is that probably just dirty parts?

red is very easy to take out.
remove the helmet the face and the back of reds head and just 2 plugs and some screws underneath.
i guarantee you when you take it off and inspect it your problem will ne obvious
the head is easy to fix/rebuild
the parts are all available from marco specialties.
i enjoyed fixing red, so robotic. the mechanics are very nice engineering!

IMG_0908 (resized).JPGIMG_0908 (resized).JPG
IMG_0919 (resized).JPGIMG_0919 (resized).JPG
IMG_0922 (resized).JPGIMG_0922 (resized).JPG
IMG_0924 (resized).JPGIMG_0924 (resized).JPG

#938 6 years ago

Ok I'll take red out and have a peek.

Thanks everyone!

#939 6 years ago

I remember seeing eye springs as a part listed online, should those be in the eye coils to re center it?

IMG_1185 (resized).JPGIMG_1185 (resized).JPG

#940 6 years ago

There was a lot corrosion/rust on the small bar and ring spring, once I cleaned that it moved much easier (eyes).

#941 6 years ago
Quoted from chrisnack:

I remember seeing eye springs as a part listed online, should those be in the eye coils to re center it?

No, there are no springs involved.

#942 6 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

No, there are no springs involved.

Cool. Red seems to be working fine now and the eyes are centering after being cleaned up. Relatively easy fix.

Thanks!

#943 6 years ago
Quoted from Mocean:

Red has developed a lazy jaw --her mouth always opens but doesn't always close. Any suggestions as to what I should check first?

If you are lucky, it's just the connectors on the motor control board on the bottom of the playfield not making good contact.
Try re-seating those, clean the connector pins while you are checking.

#944 6 years ago
Quoted from Mocean:

Thanks!

Other than electrical gremlins, it could very likely be the sector gear. http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3030

The constant trashing of the gear around tends to round out some of the teeth and causes it to slip. Since there is really no limit switches, the controller board detects when the current draw of the motor ramps up when it slams into the end of the gear as the "end of stroke", this puts a lot of strain on the gears, and they do wear out. When it starts slipping a little, that just accelerates the wear.

#945 6 years ago

Well i just put in a ColorDMD (LED) a week ago. I just ordered a ColorDMD (LCD)... i'm going to sell whichever one i don't want to keep.

I'll try to get some video of both so you can see the differences.

#946 6 years ago
Quoted from chrisnack:

Cool. Red seems to be working fine now and the eyes are centering after being cleaned up. Relatively easy fix.
Thanks!

This only lasted a couple days, she's back to being lazy-eyed. Boo.

#947 6 years ago
Quoted from chrisnack:

i rebuilt mine for 166.00 changed all the major parts and coils. works like new!

#948 6 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

i rebuilt mine for 166.00 changed all the major parts and coils. works like new!

Yeah i didn't see the spring assembly listed anywhere, unless it's pre-attached the control arm thingy.

#949 6 years ago
Quoted from chrisnack:

This is one of three things: the brass eyelets at the end of the torsion bar are worn (most likely), the torsion bar is bent, or the crank arm is cracked/broken.

#950 6 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

This is one of three things: the brass eyelets at the end of the torsion bar are worn (most likely), the torsion bar is bent, or the crank arm is cracked/broken.

The brass eyelets looked good. I would guess it's the bar/spring assembly at the rear as from what I could tell that's what centers it. Once i cleaned it all up it worked out, but now it's not working again, I would imagine if i took Red out again, it would be dirty again or something.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 63.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 26.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Boards
Slap Save Creations

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 4,082 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 82.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/road-show-club-hard-hats-required-on-site/page/19 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.