• Latest reply 9 years ago by nsmith
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-114.jpg
#1 9 years ago

My bulldozer blade on Road Show has started constantly going up and down. This is happening during the entire game, the blade will continuously go up and down and the construction lights on the topper are also constantly flashing. I haven't really had a chance to run any test or trace the circuits but I will post any test results here once I run them.

#2 9 years ago

Is score adding up while this is happening...with the ball still in the shooter lane?

#3 9 years ago

Not sure I will check

#4 9 years ago

score is not adding up however, now it is turning off and then coming back on in the middle of a game. seems it may be a short somewhere

#5 9 years ago

I'm not sure about the "topper". I didn't think RS had one.

Anyway, go into Solenoid Tests and step to Dozer Blade test (I hope it has one there) and report back what it says.

#6 9 years ago

Sounds like the eddy sensor needs adjusted. It's set too sensitive. It's right in front of the dozer blade, under the playfield, has a small blue pot with a screw.

Go into switch test mode and turn the screw until it beeps and back of till it goes back off and it's set.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from ovfdfireman:

Sounds like the eddy sensor needs adjusted. It's set too sensitive. It's right in front of the dozer blade, under the playfield, has a small blue pot with a screw.
Go into switch test mode and turn the screw until it beeps and back of till it goes back off and it's set.

If that was the case, wouldn't it be adding points? Do you get zero points for hitting the dozer?

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

I'm not sure about the "topper". I didn't think RS had one.
Anyway, go into Solenoid Tests and step to Dozer Blade test (I hope it has one there) and report back what it says.

OP must have the pinballtoppers after market topper. The lights connect to the dozer blade motor. That is correct operation of the topper.

Quoted from ovfdfireman:

You might be right. Phantom detection by the eddy sensor in front of Teds face might make the game think there is a ball stuck behind the dozer blade. The blade may be raising to release that phantom ball.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

If that was the case, wouldn't it be adding points? Do you get zero points for hitting the dozer?

I think its the "face" sensor acting up, not the "dozer" one. There are two right near each other.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

I think its the "face" sensor acting up, not the "dozer" one. There are two right near each other.

Ah, yes, that would do it. Wasn't thinking about freeing a trapped ball. Good call!

#11 9 years ago

Thank you for the advice guys, I will trouble shoot tomorrow and get back with you. Not sure why it is losing power in the middle of a game and then coming back on again

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Yes, that would be another thing to look at as well.

Clearly a switch issue, know way of knowing from here, but as soon as you enter switch test it should be obvious.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from nsmith:

Not sure why it is losing power in the middle of a game and then coming back on again

Wait, do you mean the dozer blade stops and starts, or do you mean the whole machine shuts down and resets?
The whole machine resetting is the well-known WPC reset issue. Most likely unrelated to the dozer issue.
Much discussion and solution to that here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/announcing-new-product-to-help-resolve-resets-in-wpc-era-games

#14 9 years ago

the bulldozer blade keeps going up and down, non stop. The machine will turn off in the middle of a game, which I think is unrelated the the blade going up and down. I ordered the daughter board hope this solves the game shutting down issue.

Haven't had time yet to run tests on the machine, busy weekend. Will post back as soon as I do though.

Thank you for all the advice

#15 9 years ago

My RS did this too and OVFDFireman's recommendation is on target. To add to that good advice I'll suggest you test with a pinball while you have the glass off and are poking about. Go in test mode, adjust the POTS (for both face and dozer eddy sensors) then lower the playfield and set a ball on each sensor until it reliably detects the ball when in position, etc..

Good luck,

Brian

#16 9 years ago

ok, I set the pot so that the blade is no longer going up and down constantly. everything seems to be working now.

the following switches are reporting back closed Dozer up (15), Through Jam (41), Hit ted (48). I am assuming that these stay closed until activated.

The machine is still shutting off, seems to be caused by the left flipper button being pushed. I cleaned the opto and it seemed to work for a little while and now is shutting off again.

#17 9 years ago

The answer to your resets should lie somewhere in here.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Game_resets

Just follow the steps. It might be as simple as reseating the connectors or tightening the screws on the boards that stops the resets. Might need more, but hopefully this helps.

#18 9 years ago

thanks I will give that a try and see how it goes

#19 9 years ago

Reseat those z-connectors...

image-114.jpgimage-114.jpg

#20 9 years ago

Fixed the final issue! Traced the wires and found one of them shorting out against a metal plate. then played my best game ever got a score of 2,632,113,550.

A big thank you to everyone that helped and gave advice

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 26.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods

$ 63.95
Boards
PinSound

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/road-show-bulldozer-blade-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.