image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Hey guys looking for some help for some trouble that I'm having with my Roadshow. I have taken out the daughter board that holds the batteries due to some concerns about possible leakage. I have installed an nvram chip and socket.

I had it professionally installed and he did a very good job so I'm not concerned about any lifted traces. He did it with me present and removed the existing chip installed the new socket in probably 10 minutes And didn't have the heat on very long.

Anyway I got back home reinstalled the board and connected all the connectors and when I turn on the game the screen was blank there was one tone and nothing else happened. On the LEDs on that main board d-19 was on solid D21 was on solid and D20 doesn't come on at all. I then tried to shut it off and reseat all the connectors. When I did that the display came on but was quite garbled up and not readable. However when that happened d-19 LED shuts off and just D21 stays on solid.

I have tried reseating the chip I have also tried putting the original chip in that socket and I've reseated the connectors several times. After trying this several times, reseating the connectors my display has disappeared again and now I'm back to d-19 and D21 on solid.

It doesn't look as though I'm able to get it to boot to the point where the D20 LED can give me any indication as to what I may have done. Any help you could give me would be great thanks.

#2 6 years ago

Connectors in the correct spots and facing the right direction ? Ribbon cables on red strip pin one both ends and not off by a row ?

LTG : )

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Connectors in the correct spots and facing the right direction ? Ribbon cables on red strip pin one both ends and not off by a row ?
LTG : )

Hey Lloyd. Thanks for the quick reply.

I double checked them twice the first time and took pics before hand. I'm positive I had them all on correct.

That said, amongst my several attempts at reseating the cables there was one occasion where I did plug the j111 cable off by one row. I'm hoping you won't tell me that did something bad.

However I'm positive it was on right the first time I tried it.

#5 6 years ago

Bump. Please help

#6 6 years ago

If you disconnect ALL ribbon cables from the MPU, does the board boot up?

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

If you disconnect ALL ribbon cables from the MPU, does the board boot up?

Nope. No change. Just d19 and d21 on solid.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Pauz21:

Hey guys looking for some help for some trouble that I'm having with my Roadshow. I have taken out the daughter board that holds the batteries due to some concerns about possible leakage. I have installed an nvram chip and socket.
I had it professionally installed and he did a very good job so I'm not concerned about any lifted traces. He did it with me present and removed the existing chip installed the new socket in probably 10 minutes And didn't have the heat on very long.
Anyway I got back home reinstalled the board and connected all the connectors and when I turn on the game the screen was blank there was one tone and nothing else happened. On the LEDs on that main board d-19 was on solid D21 was on solid and D20 doesn't come on at all. I then tried to shut it off and reseat all the connectors. When I did that the display came on but was quite garbled up and not readable. However when that happened d-19 LED shuts off and just D21 stays on solid.
I have tried reseating the chip I have also tried putting the original chip in that socket and I've reseated the connectors several times. After trying this several times, reseating the connectors my display has disappeared again and now I'm back to d-19 and D21 on solid.
It doesn't look as though I'm able to get it to boot to the point where the D20 LED can give me any indication as to what I may have done. Any help you could give me would be great thanks.

Did you get out the multimeter set to continuity and verify that all the traces coming out of the chip socket have continuity to where they're going on the board? Sometimes a trace problem isn't visually obvious. Check the continuity of each pin, front and back of the board.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Did you get out the multimeter set to continuity and verify that all the traces coming out of the chip socket have continuity to where they're going on the board? Sometimes a trace problem isn't visually obvious. Check the continuity of each pin, front and back of the board.

Interesting. Never thought of that. Will try tonight.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I took the board back out and checked continuity for the new chip, front and back. No issues. Put the board back in and no change 19 and 21 on solid. Display blank.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Pauz21:

I took the board back out and checked continuity for the new chip, front and back. No issues. Put the board back in and no change 19 and 21 on solid. Display blank.

It really seems like you have a ribbon cable connecting the CPU board damaged, backwards or off by one row.

Have you tried disconnecting ALL the ribbon cables and switch matrix connectors from the CPU board (leaving the power cables plugged in) and powering on? Does D19 stay on in that condition? If NOT, then power off and connect one ribbon cable at a time and power on, then repeat this (off, plug, on) with each cable until you see which one is the issue. Once all ribbon cables are in, if you haven't found the problem, continue with the switch matrix connectors, one at a time with each power cycle.

If that doesn't work:
With power OFF can you press on the ASIC chip firmly then try booting?

If that doesn't work:
Can you post pics of each side of the board you put back in so I can see the connectors?

Also, I assume you didn't keep the original RAM to put back in to the new socket and remove the possibility of a bad NVRAM chip?

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It really seems like you have a ribbon cable connecting the CPU board damaged, backwards or off by one row.
Have you tried disconnecting ALL the ribbon cables and switch matrix connectors from the CPU board (leaving the power cables plugged in) and powering on? Does D19 stay on in that condition? If NOT, then power off and connect one ribbon cable at a time and power on, then repeat this (off, plug, on) with each cable until you see which one is the issue. Once all ribbon cables are in, if you haven't found the problem, continue with the switch matrix connectors, one at a time with each power cycle.
If that doesn't work:
With power OFF can you press on the ASIC chip firmly then try booting?
If that doesn't work:
Can you post pics of each side of the board you put back in so I can see the connectors?
Also, I assume you didn't keep the original RAM to put back in to the new socket and remove the possibility of a bad NVRAM chip?

I did keep the old chip. Tried it already. No change. Will try the other things tomorrow. Thanks a lot for the suggestions.

2 weeks later
#13 6 years ago

Sorry for the delay in getting this done I was dealing with some health issues with my daughter. I tried everything that you said unplugging all the cables except the power cable and still d19 and d21 on solid. I tried rebooting it one at a time first connecting the ribbon cables one at a time then once they were connected I switched to the switch matrix cables nothing changes.

#14 6 years ago

I'm sure i connected everything as it was.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#15 6 years ago

Board shots.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from Pauz21:

Re-reading this, did you check continuity on the NVRAM chip or on the NVRAM chip SOCKET on the CPU board? You need to check the socket with no chip in it.

You basically need to remove the NVRAM chip, then check the socket on the CPU board, front and back.

For these first two, you want NO CONTINUITY to come up:

(Powered off) First check the back because there's some questionable soldering. It looks like one or more may be shorted with solder touching. (Continuity mode on multimeter) Put one lead on the first pin, then the other lead on the pin next to it. UNLESS the traces on the board are connected, you should get NO continuity with adjacent pins. Walk the multimeter down checking all adjacent pins to make sure they aren't shorted together on the backof the board. If they ARE shorted, clean up the solder causing the short.

If you get through all the back ones and none are shorted, then flip it over and check adjacent pins on the front of the board by sticking probes in each adjacent socket connecter.

For these you WANT CONTINUITY to show up for each pin.
If you get through that with no shorts, put one end in the first socket connector and the other end on the first point that the trace on the CPU board coming from that socket pin connector goes to on the CPU board. Then repeat for all of them, going in order down each row so you don't lose your place. There should be continuity for ALL the connectors on the socket. If they all do, replace the NVRAM chip.

Also, did you remove the Game ROM in this process? Check for bent pins on that.

Roadshow Board (resized).jpgRoadshow Board (resized).jpg

1 week later
#17 6 years ago

Did you solve the problem?

#18 6 years ago

No still working on it. Been dealing with some other issues .

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 26.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 63.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/road-show-boot-up-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.