View topic image gallery

454C3AFA-0204-499A-B54A-FDA6E8215C3A (resized).jpeg
image1 (resized).jpeg
image4 (resized).jpeg
image2 (resized).jpeg
image3 (resized).jpeg
image0 (resized).jpeg

#1 76 days ago

Hey all. 1st post here on Pinside but I've been lurking since buying my 1st pin just over a month ago; a Road Show. First off thanks to all, there is a ton of awesome information on here.

Reading older posts, it seems people are constantly having issues with the plastic gears that drive Red, Ted, & Rudy's jaw either breaking or binding. I've had both these issues since owning the game, and the replacements I've gotten from various suppliers have had the same issues. I decided to make my own out of metal. So far I've only made the 14T & 56T gear (03-8471) and it was pretty simple. That said, I did this for a Road Show, not 100% sure it'll work on Funhouse.

I just took two gears meant for RC Cars and joined them together. The 56T gear has a pitch of MOD 0.80. This gives it the proper diameter and meshes with the motor. The small gear has a pitch of MOD 1.0 and I used actually a 15T gear (vs. 14). It meshes nicely with the sector gear. I got them on Amazon (unfortunately in sets with others I don't need):

amazon.com link »

amazon.com link »

I drilled out each gear to a bore of 3/8" (on a press) and used JB Weld to epoxy them together and onto a sleeve with an ID of 1/4", perfect for the bracket they ride on. I used a bolt with masking tape to align and clamp them while the epoxy set.

So far I have the dual gear installed, and it has peen playing well so far. Time will tell I guess. Still waiting on some other parts to reproduce the sector gear. Will update when I do.

Thanks!

Max

image0 (resized).jpegimage1 (resized).jpegimage2 (resized).jpegimage3 (resized).jpegimage4 (resized).jpeg
#2 76 days ago

Very ingenious. Thanks for sharing.

#3 75 days ago

Great work!

#4 75 days ago

Thanks for sharing!

#5 75 days ago

A friend of mine found brass gears in a RS.
I’ve never seen them made of brass.

Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
Http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact
http://www.PinWiki.com/ - The new place for pinball repair info

454C3AFA-0204-499A-B54A-FDA6E8215C3A (resized).jpeg
#6 75 days ago

Great job. I'm restoring a RS right now and was lucky that the jaw gears were good. They were probably the only thing that was good on it. It's a rust bucket.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside