IMG_1159 (resized).jpg
IMG_1158 (resized).jpg
IMAG0077 (resized).jpg
15304015805052733293886614992965 (resized).jpg
IMAG0075 (resized).jpg
image-14 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

Aah, what did I do!?
I replaced the coils for the slingshots as 1 was freaking out. Always staying on and ready to rattle the table loose so I did a little research and decided to replace the coil charged to the arm that shoots the slingshot rubber bands, AE-23-800-3. I am a rookie, I just got this table as a present a couple weeks ago. I took a picture and went color for color after soldering in the new coil and a diode and leads. Now, not only do the coils for the slingshots not fire, but neither do the numbers at the top of the platforms. I checked all the fuses up top behind the translight and they all have continuity. I did a little bit of research and tried to reverse the leads in case the coils were wired different than the factory ones but no avail. I disconnected the leads all together and it didn't help either. I'm afraid I fried a board or something but I have no idea how or why.
Any insight would be appreciated, thank you very much for your time
Matt

#2 5 years ago

Did you break a wire or diode off the switches that make the slingshots fire?

image-14 (resized).jpgimage-14 (resized).jpg
#3 5 years ago

Well what's weird is that when I push in the leaf on the slingshot it registers ten points, but no action in any coils. I will check I do not believe I broke anything on the switches. It was my first time soldering diodes across the coils connection points can that have anything to do with it?

15304015805052733293886614992965 (resized).jpg15304015805052733293886614992965 (resized).jpgIMAG0075 (resized).jpgIMAG0075 (resized).jpg
#4 5 years ago

Top picture is new one, bottom is existing, I notice I wired diode in different point, don't know what effect that might have.
Here's a side pic of new coil

IMAG0077 (resized).jpgIMAG0077 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#5 5 years ago

Your first picture has the diode wired backwards. Banded side should face the red wire, which is the power wire. That diode is probably shorted and ruined. Replace that first. I've included pictures of my Road Kings coils. You can put the machine in coil test mode with the coin door switches to test.

IMG_1158 (resized).jpgIMG_1158 (resized).jpgIMG_1159 (resized).jpgIMG_1159 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#6 5 years ago

Thank you so much for reply I will rewire tomorrow, I talked to a pinball repair man and he had me scared I fried a board. Been super busy lately, thanks again

#7 5 years ago

I rewired the coils with diode proper. I ran coil test and half the coils are failing. I held a voltmeter on the coils I replaced and no voltage at any point of test. Proper working coils were displaying a voltage briefly while they fired. Cant Find any bad fuses. Any idea what my next move might be?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/road-kings-system-11-ae-23-800-3-slingshot-coil-replacement-nightmare-?hl=erak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.