Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by pindude80
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pindude80.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 7 years ago

This is my game that is Chet is helping me fix. I thought the problem with the switches not registering might have been a bug in the ROMs since mine had revison 2 in it. I had a set of L-4 ROMs burned and it acts the same way.

We will more than likely go ahead and replace the micro switch on the upper ramp, but does anyone know why the leaf switch is registering in switch test, but not in game play? We're not sure what to look at next and could use some guidance.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Have you cleaned the contacts?

Yes, cleaned and adjusted. Verified with DMM they are making an open/close circuit when it's supposed to.

#8 7 years ago

Bump for the evening tech crowd.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from agodfrey:

My best guess.. And it is a guess is that it's maybe a weak signal.
When you test are you rolling the ball as in game play or depressing it with a ball hard?
Might be OK when held in but not enough when a quick roll.
At the very least I'll bump it for you so someone more knowledgeable can help

Thanks for the response. I know for a fact we rolled a ball over the inlane switch at ball speed and pretty sure the top ramp switch also and neither registered.

3 weeks later
#13 7 years ago

So Chet checked the board out, cleaned a few things and I think may have re-flowed some solder. Last night I made a new rollover leaf switch, put the board back in the game last night and it's doing the same thing.

Today, I pulled the board out of my Grand Lizard, swapped the game ROMs and it's still doing the exact same thing. I'm guessing the next thing to do would be to replace the connector. Anyone think I should like at anything else first?

#15 7 years ago

I really think the next thing is going to be replace the connector since the other board did the exact same thing, it safe to say it's not a board or header pin issue. I'm thinking the connector at the board or possibly the main playfield connector that is in the bottom of the cabinet that i guess you would disconnect if you want to pull the PF. Hopefully we are getting very close. I will keep updating this thread as we go.

2 weeks later
#16 7 years ago

Update: Chet and I replaced the connector for the switch matrix that we are having problems with. No change, does the exact same thing where it registers in switch test, but not in game mode. I guess next thing would be to re-pin the playfield disconnect harness down in the cabinet unless someone has any other ideas.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from pinwiz_pa:

On the rollover switch check to see if someone might have used a file to clean it at some point. That will make them rather unreliable.

I can, but I don't think that would explain it working in test mode and the leaf switch working in test mode, but not game mode.

1 week later
#19 7 years ago

Update: My friend Chet and I repinned the male and female side of the playfield connector in the cabinet for the two corresponding wires for the rollover lane we are having trouble with. This didn't change anything- exact same results. We then alligator clipped a wire to one lead on the switch and I added a trifurcon connector to the other end, popped out the factor wire, inserted the new wire in the molex connector that we previously swapped for the factory IDC connector, no change. We next moved the alligator clip over to the other wire on the switch, same thing.

Does anyone know what to look at next? I think it's safe to say we pretty much ruled out a connection problem with running the new wire from the switch in question to it corresponding pin on the board connector.

Something else I stumbled on that I felt was a little odd is we were playing a friend's Road Kings last weekend and their's was having an intermittent problem on the same switch I'm having problems with where sometimes the switch would register and sometimes it wouldn't, but every other switch on the game seemed to work fine. They said they have cleaned and adjusted the switch, but it continues to act the same way. Could it be there is some kind of design flaw with this switch registering?

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from pinwiz_pa:

Reread everything and missed it works in test. Need more caffeine!

When you get more caffeine and you can figure it out let me know because we can't get this stupid thing figured out.

2 weeks later
#23 7 years ago

Bump, thinking of trying a new diode on the leaf switch even though it tested ok. Anyone have any other ideas on what to try?

#24 7 years ago

anyone in the morning crowd have any suggestions?

1 year later
#25 6 years ago

Ok, so I finally felt like working on Road Kings again the other day. I was trying to figure out the detour value and how it worked, someone explained to me what it took to get the detour value, I can get on the left side, but not the right. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/youll-be-back-jackroad-kings-fan-club/page/4#post-4210822

Anyone have any ideas what in the heck might be going on with this thing?

4 years later
#30 1 year ago

I finally figured out and fixed my switch issue. Inlane number 3, which is the bottom right, and the right exit for the detour ramp were incorrectly. I swapped both sets of wires from one switch to the other and now it registers properly during gameplay. I am guessing it was wired incorrectly at the factory but I can't say that for sure.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pindude80.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/road-kings-sys-11-switch-not-registering-during-gameplay?tu=pindude80 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.