P7240005.JPG
P9160004.JPG
P3140029.JPG
DSCF1033.JPG
DSCF1029.JPG
DSCF1038.JPG
DSCF1039.JPG
#1 9 years ago

I have stripped down a filthy Road Kings I recently picked up to remove mylar and clean up. Got the mylar and glue off, then cleaned it up with magic eraser/isopropanol and novus 2, its looking pretty nice.

Want some advice on some inserts that are sticking up a little on one end. a few of the arrow inserts are sticking up at the point, I'll post a picture. What is the best way to fix this? lay down a piece of wood and gently tap them down with a hammer?

also some paint wear around the edges of some of the inserts, I've heard of people filling it in with a black sharpie marker is that a suitable fix?

Finally should I put new mylars around the pop bumpers or leave it bare? somebody had cut off peeling mylar around the pop bumpers with a knife and cut the paint also. Will this just flake badly if left alone, or will a few good coats of wax protect it decently. Dont know if I want to go as far as paint matching and touching it up, I dont need it to be perfect, just want to clean it up as much as possible. I'm not going to clearcoat the pf, but should I put a little clearcoat in this spot?

DSCF1038.JPGDSCF1038.JPG DSCF1039.JPGDSCF1039.JPG DSCF1029.JPGDSCF1029.JPG DSCF1033.JPGDSCF1033.JPG
#2 9 years ago
Quoted from Spaceship:

What is the best way to fix this? lay down a piece of wood and gently tap them down with a hammer?

I think that it needs to be heated slightly from underneath while you do this, then epoxy from the bottom when its in the correct place, so it doesn't move again.

Quoted from Spaceship:

I've heard of people filling it in with a black sharpie marker is that a suitable fix?

I think the general idea on this is to avoid using sharpie. I would touch up with some acrylic paint, like createx.

Quoted from Spaceship:

I'm not going to clearcoat the pf, but should I put a little clearcoat in this spot?

I think that if you are not going to clearcoat the whole pf, just put spot mylar over any retouched areas.

Quoted from Spaceship:

Finally should I put new mylars around the pop bumpers or leave it bare?

I would put mylars around the pops

My responses are hopefully in line with Vid's opinions in his restoration thread, but I am going from memory.... check here to be sure. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration

2 months later
#3 9 years ago

I'm also restoring a RK. Have you completed your restoration? Curious to get an update on your progress.

#4 9 years ago

Hi zio

I'm also restoring a RK, just have the cab to finish.

The pin had been sitting in a conservatory for I don't know how long which would explain the delamination and fade to grey on the head and the red fading to orange on the cab sides. The red on the pf has also faded to orange but doesn't look bad at all.

There was major insert lifting and a rubbish touch up job covered in mylar on the pf.

I have re-painted the cab a slightly darker red and am not going to put the "Williams" logo on it because IMO it looks shit The top part of the pf has also been painted a darker red as, due to the fading, I had no idea what the original colour was It doesn't detract from the overall appearance.

Here are a few before and after pics.

Andy

P3140029.JPGP3140029.JPGP9160004.JPGP9160004.JPGP7240005.JPGP7240005.JPGP9200013.JPGP9200013.JPGP8170008.JPGP8170008.JPGP3140028.JPGP3140028.JPGP3140024.JPGP3140024.JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/road-kings-restoration-need-advice-on-inserts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.