• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20221019-083158.png
Screenshot_20221019-083033.png
#1 1 year ago

I have a Williams System 11 Road Kings that started acting up. During game play, the outhole ejector would start kicking the ball in the trough out into the shooter lane once the game was on for several minutes (it would play fine when cold). It wouldn't fire the ejector fast though, maybe about once every 30 seconds, it would kick a ball out into the lane. After kicking the ball out several times durning a game, it would blow the F5 on the power board. I was thinking that maybe the transistor was shorting when getting warmed up. As a note, this game came with a Rottendog power board (all voltages checked and are good). All other boards are original.

I replace the corresponding outhole ejector transistor, Q25, with a TIP 102 as well as the corresponding predriver transistor (Q21, I believe - going from memory) with a 2N4401. While I was at it, I also replaced that coil with a new 23-850 SG I had on the shelf.

I turned the game on, got a couple minutes into it a game, then the ejector popped the ball into the lane and stayed locked on. I shut the game down instantly to prevent coil damage (it was fine, hardly even got warm). I replaced the the same two transistors again and just to verify it wasn't a defective transistor, but the same results; plays for a few minutes then locks the coil on.

To recap:
Former State = Plays fine for a while then ejector would repeatedly eject balls into the lane until F5 blew.
Current State (with new transistors and coil) = Plays fine for a while then ejector locks on and blows Q23 and predriver Q21.

What else should I be looking at if it isn't the coil or transistors? Thanks!

#2 1 year ago

Possible outhole switch going flaky. Any wires frayed on the outhole switch? Also check the diode to. You can replace with 1n4007

#3 1 year ago

I'll check the outhole microswitch when I get home, thanks.

#4 1 year ago

I checked the microswitch on the outhole and it is functioning properly and the wires are soldering on firmly with no frays. I replaced the diode on it for good measure, no difference.

#5 1 year ago

I'd check the 2 resistor packs in that circuit: SR6-pin 4 and SR7-pin 5. Here they are on the schematic: Screenshot_20221019-083033.pngScreenshot_20221019-083033.png

For additional guidance, here's their locations on the CPU/driver board: Screenshot_20221019-083158.pngScreenshot_20221019-083158.png

If you aren't familiar with how to test them: set your meter for resistance test and place one probe on the "common" pin (sometimes the board will have a white box on that pin, it appears the common pin is probably represented in the above diagram with a dot at the lower end of each resistor pack) and then place the other probe on each of the other pins on the strip one at a time. You should get consistent readings between the common pin and each of the other pins. In this particular case, the measurement we want to see between the common pin and pin 4 on SR6 should be ~560 ohms and the resistance between the common pin and pin 5 of SR7 should be ~2700 ohms.

If all that checks good, next thing will be to check the chip at U20 (need a logic probe for that, afaik)

Did the board ever experience any battery corrosion?

1 week later
#6 1 year ago

Sorry for the delay, I was waiting for parts to arrive. I ended up replacing the 7408 at U20 and everything seems to be working now. Thanks for the help.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 22.50
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/road-kings-outhole-ejector-locks-on and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.