• 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by pindude80
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20220330_215224 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pindude80.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

I haven't played my Road Kings in a while and decided I would start playing it again.

In the past few days I have played a total of about eight games and during two games it just randomly died. I will be in the middle of gameplay and everything shuts off besides the GI. The control lamps go out, the flippers lose power, and the displays all shut off. I can power cycle the game, play a new game, and it will be fine.

Any ideas of the cause or what I can look at to figure out what the problem is?

#3 2 years ago

Is there a way to test for this? I'm guessing not and probably best to just go ahead and replace the power supply caps?

#4 2 years ago

I haven't had a chance to do anything with the power supply capacitors but I played a few games and had a couple weird things happen. One time the control lights froze but the game kept playing. Another time the displays were displaying funky stuff- see picture.

Does this behavior also sound power related?

20220330_215224 (resized).jpg20220330_215224 (resized).jpg
#5 2 years ago

I just remembered another weird thing that it does that doesn't make sense. When I boot the game it says to adjust switch 43 for the left kicker. When I put the game into switch edge test and activate the left kicker / slingshot with my finger it fires appropriately and shows up on the display.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from Jmckune:

Is one of the two leaf switches stuck closed? It can function with only 1 of the two leafs working properly.

I can double check but I think I tested both. Aren't both switches daisy chained together? In switch mode, there isn't a designation for two kicker switches, is there?

#9 2 years ago

Okay, so we can rule out it being one of the two slingshot switches stuck closed. Any other reason it would say to check the left slingshot switch even though it is functioning properly or any other explanation for the odd behavior I'm experiencing?

#13 2 years ago

Thanks for the replies and telling me what to look at!

When I get a chance I will check these things and report back.

#14 2 years ago

I hooked up a DMM to the 5 volt test point on the CPU. In attract mode it was 5.10 volts and during gameplay held steady at 5.09 volts. We let the game sit in attract mode to see if it changed once it had been on for a while but it didn't.

We looked at all of the connectors on the power supply board and also where they go into the mpu. Everything looked good. I guess the next logical step would be to rebuild the five volt section of the power supply board. I looked for a rebuild kit on Marco's site but didn't see one.

Does anyone know or can't point me in the right direction to a list of components I need to buy to rebuild that section of the power supply?

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

At 5.1 volts, the five volt section is fine. You should test the 12 volt section now. If the 12 volts drops below 10.5 volts resets can occure. Black lead to the same test point as before, red lead to the band side lead of ZR-1 on the cpu board.

Thanks for the info! I'll check it out and report back.

#17 2 years ago

Everything seems to be good on the 12 volt. The lowest I saw was 12.08.

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Well than you will have to look for a cracked solder joint. Most likely the top right header pin connector on the power supply. If that is good then look at 1J-17 header pins on the CPU board.

Ok, I might pull the power supply and reflow those pins. Thanks for letting me know which pins to look at!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 22.50
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pindude80.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/road-kings-loss-of-everything-except-gi-during-gameplay?tu=pindude80 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.