Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by wayout440
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Road Kings locks up during gameplay. player scores all show jibberish, flippers stop working and game knocker comes on non-stop. I am working on this now any ideas would be great.

#2 7 years ago

-Power supply board: did you verify voltages in spec, checked A/C ripple?
-No battery corrosion?
-Is knocker locked on continuously, or pulsing?

#3 7 years ago

I once had a kicker that was constantly pulsing on - off. Was a simple short between the blades on the trigger switch. But that didn't cause all kinds of other problems.

Are you sure the problems you mention are related? I mean - does the game boot without problems and will you be able to play the game error free for some time before it locks up?

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from mcklit:

I once had a kicker that was constantly pulsing on - off. Was a simple short between the blades on the trigger switch.

A kicker pulsing is a lot different than a knocker pulsing. There is no switch for the knocker, if it is pulsing, it would be a logic problem.
If the game works fine for a while and then problems begin, that is usually heat related. Could be a lot of things (power supply, component failure, even connectors). To start ruling things out,I would start by measuring the AC ripple on the +5VDC test point during the failure occurrence.

#5 7 years ago

It boots up fine and plays good than locks. I swapped power supplies with Pinbot and same problem. I have discovered than it is definitely when a flipper is pressed! I replaced both flipper coils and EOS switches and still happens. Knocker continuosly pulsing. I do get code 5 on the LED when I do the MPU CPU test. It can happen 5 seconds into gameplay or I have gone 10 games straight with no issue.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from Boltronix:

It boots up fine and plays good than locks. I swapped power supplies with Pinbot and same problem. I have discovered than it is definitely when a flipper is pressed! I replaced both flipper coils and EOS switches and still happens. Knocker continuosly pulsing. I do get code 5 on the LED when I do the MPU CPU test. It can happen 5 seconds into gameplay or I have gone 10 games straight with no issue.

When either flipper is pressed?...or just one?

Odd problem inddeed. The number "5" on LED seems to refer to either the blanking signal "stuck", coin door is closed and memory protection circuit faulty, or U25 RAM bad.

#7 7 years ago

either flipper. heres a dumb question. what is coin door closed? of course its closed. maybe that switch is bad. where do i find what chips are they blanking circuit and memory protection circuit?

#8 7 years ago

i will be checking lose connections, grounding, 5 vdc for ripple and than installing new ps even though i swapped supplies from my working pinbot

#9 7 years ago

The coin door memory interlock switch is wired direct to the CPU, it does not go through the switch matrix. See the preliminary cabinet wiring page 46. You'll need to use a DMM at the MPU board to check that the switch is properly functioning.

You've effectively eliminated the power supply as a problem by swapping the Pinbot supply. I'd just double check it at the MPU test point to be sure it is getting there without loss (usually a cable connector problem)

*** Williams System 11 Power measurements and test points ***
Logic power
MPU IJ17 Pins 4,5,6 = +5.03 VDC @8.1 mV AC ripple
U26/U27 ROM Pin 1 = +4.91 VDC

Blanking signal is a protect circuit. If a logic problem such as a shorted IC occurs, the blanking shuts down a lot of functions such as the display strobes. That one would be much more difficult to repair, and would probably require the board to be sent out for repair.

#10 7 years ago

All voltages check good ripple and all. I will ohm out the door switch. Also, as I now suspect the MPU as the culprit I can swap my pinbot MPU but there is one issue. Pinbot MPU does not have a connector at J15. On Road Kings J15 has a connector soldered to the board and is used for the sound. I wonder if the circuitry is the same that I could remove J15 from the suspect Road Kings MPU and solder it to the kinown working Pinbot MPU and the road Kings sound would work. Anybody have experience with this? Thanks, Walt

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from Boltronix:

I wonder if the circuitry is the same that I could remove J15 from the suspect Road Kings MPU and solder it to the kinown working Pinbot MPU and the road Kings sound would work.

The short answer is yes. The long answer below:

System 11A: second generation of system 11, part number D-11392. Six zener diodes ZR3-ZR8 (1N5234, 6.2 volts) added to the CPU board. A ground connection was added to connector 1J18 pins 6,7. The seven segment diagnostic display was changed to three LEDs. These games used audio board D-11581 which handles the speech and sound and has it's own sound amplifier. (Exception: Pinbot used sound board D-11298.) The initial system11 background sound board was no longer used. Because of this, System11A CPU boards have their speaker connector 1J15 was removed and the CPU sound amplifier U1 is not used (1J15 must be added back to the CPU board for it to work in earlier system11 games).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 22.50
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/road-kings-locks-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.