(Topic ID: 305054)

Road Kings freezing

By RC_like_the_cola

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

My Road Kings started acting weird. Sometimes during gameplay, the displays will go blank and whatever sound effect was playing at the time, will repeat until you turn the game off and back on. Then it seems normal. Once, I looked over at the game and saw it was showing blank displays and it was not being played, so it just happened during attract mode. The only thing I can think of that I did before this started was I erased and reprogrammed the game roms to version L4. It was on L2 when I got the game. I also changed the battery to a lithium coin cell, but I don't think that was it because it is holding the settings and scores.

So, question is, do you experts think my roms are bad (bit rot) and just need a couple fresh ones burned with L4? I don't have blanks of those particular roms or I'd have already tried it. I did erase and program a second time and it is still happening occasionally. I pulled the for sale ad, as I don't want to pass on a problem to a new owner. I even considered going back to L2. Maybe the roms were corrupt, but I got the images from IPDB, so I assume they are good.

The other thought I had was maybe I need to pull the MPU again and reflow all the headers. Should've done that when I had it out the first time. Doh!

Thanks for any insight.

-RC

#2 2 years ago

Perhaps a bad ROM socket? You can try gently twisting the ROM back and forth in the socket with the game on to see if it causes it to act up.

Only other thing I can suggest would be to try the previous revision and see if the problem returns. Reflowing solder on the connectors couldn't hurt either if it's due.

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Perhaps a bad ROM socket? You can try gently twisting the ROM back and forth in the socket with the game on to see if it causes it to act up.
Only other thing I can suggest would be to try the previous revision and see if the problem returns. Reflowing solder on the connectors couldn't hurt either if it's due.

Sockets seem rock solid. No wiggle and no effect when trying to move them around. I'll try the old revision next.

Thanks.

#4 2 years ago

CPU board needs 5 volts and 12 volts to stay running. I would suggest checking those voltages on the power supply board and CPU board next time it happens.

If your power supply board is original, the caps are getting old and tired. If either voltages are off, rebuild the board or get a new one.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

CPU board needs 5 volts and 12 volts to stay running. I would suggest checking those voltages on the power supply board and CPU board next time it happens.
If your power supply board is original, the caps are getting old and tired. If either voltages are off, rebuild the board or get a new one.

Thanks, I thought about that too. Wanted to see if anyone thought it was what I did, since it only started after the rom upgrade. It is original and I believe I have a new cap kit for it, but haven't put it in. Will double check tonight.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 22.50
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/road-kings-freezing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.