• Latest reply 9 years ago by UvulaBob
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0741[1].JPG
#1 9 years ago

Road Kings has two sets of flasher bulbs, one in the Chariot and one on the bikers. The Bikers flasher is listed as solenoid 15C, driven by transistor Q14. I know that transistor Q14 works, because Solenoid 15C is the drop target reset, and that fires off without a hitch. I know the sockets aren't bad because I've swapped them with the Chariot sockets, and they work fine there, while the ones now under the Bikers stop working.

I've traced a bunch of wires all over the place, starting from 1J12 Pin 8 on the Cpu board all the way to a board under the playfield with two columns of diodes in reverse directions. I assume this is part of how the A/C select relay functions. Current presumably flows one direction or the other on the the diode board depending on if the A/C relay is energized or not. I've tested all the diodes on this board with a DMM in Diode mode, and the same tests performed on the known good diodes also work on the suspected bad diodes.

The only thing I haven't tested 100 percent is the two resistors that sit in line with the bulbs in question. These two resistors sit on a board with two other resistors that drive the Chariot bulbs. If I'm right, the only real way to test these resistors is to remove them from this little mini board, correct?

Can anyone give me some ideas on what else could be the problem or how else I can troubleshoot this? It's the A side of an A/C controlled solenoid driver, and all wires and connections appear to be intact (as far as I can tell).

#2 9 years ago

A LOT of the times these resistors heat up and become loose and sometimes fall out.

#3 9 years ago

Do resistors stop conducting or do they stop resisting when they fail?

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from UvulaBob:

Do resistors stop conducting or do they stop resisting when they fail?

They open and fail. Or you may see cracking along the body. Are these the cement ones or the wire wound ones.

#5 9 years ago

I have lots of under playfield parts from a Road Kings if you find you need something.

Jim

#6 9 years ago

I pulled out the two resistors that lead to the Biker Flash Bulbs and tested both of them. They both read what they're supposed to, 5 and 330 Ohms.

I'm looking through the manual and I'm still a little unclear about how the A/C relay system works. Perhaps there's something between the select relay and the lamps that's broken, since the C side of the relay works fine.

#7 9 years ago

In case I need to replace the A/C relay, the manual lists it as part number 5580-09555-00. I can't find anyone that sells this relay, but Marco has 5580-09555-01, which is used in all kinds of System 11 games. Would this be a suitable part for Road Kings?

#8 9 years ago

You probably already know this but the flashbulbs on Road Kings are #63 6 volts bulbs wired in series and not #89 12V bulbs wired parallel like in most games.

If one bulb in series is bad, neither of them will light. Do not pair old bulbs with new as sometimes a mismatch will cause one bulb to blow right away (seen this a couple of times)

not likely the A/C relay if the other flashbulbs and the knocker in the game are working. (the lightning bolt flashers are not on the A/C relay but all the other ones are)

If the resistors are OK and none of the wires to that resistor board have fallen off then I would double check that the sockets are wired correctly in series

#9 9 years ago

I had to troubleshoot the flashers under the lightning bolts and learned about them being wired in series. I don't recall seeing anything wrong with the wiring for the two biker lamps, though. I'll double check. I know the bulbs and sockets themselves work fine, as I've done a bunch of swapping around with known good components. Maybe I missed something. I hope it's that simple.

#10 9 years ago

Let me know if you need anything........

Road Kings playfield.
IMG_0741[1].JPGIMG_0741[1].JPG

#11 9 years ago

I'll take one of everything, please.

#12 9 years ago

Come and get it

#14 9 years ago

I posted photos in the other thread.

#15 9 years ago

As a last resort, I replaced all four flashers in the back box and re-soldered sockets to their wires, and that worked. Sometimes, all it takes is a metaphorical kick in the cabinet to get things working again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/road-kings-flashers-not-flashing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.