Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1330.JPG
IMG_1331.JPG
IMG_1321.JPG
IMG_1327.JPG
#1 9 years ago

My Road Kings has a white 36-pin connector that connects some stuff from the cabinet into stuff from the backbox. There are terminals on one side of the connector that aren't on the other. For instance, there's a black and blue wire that goes into port 26 on the backbox side that doesn't have a corresponding connection on the cabinet side. My best theory is that connectors are wired a certain way coming from the backbox regardless of what's actually in the cabinet. It's entirely possible that other early System 11 games have a black and blue wire coming out of port 26 on the cabinet side of this connection. Perhaps Road Kings doesn't. It's also possible that the owner before me re-wired one or more connectors and really messed things up for future owners.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Why would wired come from the backbox and terminate in a connector with no corresponding wire on the other side? I'm not able to upload pictures right now, but I figured I'd start the
thread to see if any night owls might have an answer for me.

Bonus question!

This connector also has two black and yellow wires going to it. I've since pulled them out and didn't track which one went to which port. The cabinet side only has one black and yellow wire. The place the other one would go is empty. Why would there be two black-and-yellow wires running into the same connector? That would seem to make things really confusing, unless it doesn't matter which wire on one side connects to which wire on the other side. It's possible I've made a huge mistake and have some wire tracing in my future.

#2 9 years ago

I think if you look on page 46/47 of the manual, you'll be able to answer most of your questions.

#3 9 years ago

The manual calls out those wiring diagrams as being generic and not specific to Road Kings. I'll trace some wires using that info while I see if I can track down the Amendment 1 that it refers to.

#4 9 years ago

I can't track down this "Amendment 1" the manual refers to, and the pinout on the side of the cable that's untouched by me appears to be different than what's in the manual. Things the manual says should be in one por on the connector are in a different port.

I'm going to try to trace things out to see if this connector is the only one that's wired differently (maybe due to someone before me doing it wrong) or if multiple ones that look untouched are also different. I think I'll just end up trying to connect wire back to wire according to the copious pictures I took and hope everything works out.

If anyone has access to this Amendment 1 that the manual refers to, that'd sure be helpful. Thanks!

#5 9 years ago

Yes, I too have looked for the *amendment 1* to no avail. At this point, I think your only recourse is to do as you said, tracing wires and using pix.

#6 9 years ago

OK, I've re-pinned both sides, but now I've found that the terminals flop around inside the housing, making it really difficult to get everything lined up properly when making the connection. It shouldn't be like this. I suspect the problem is that I ordered .062" terminal connectors from GPE, when I think I needed .093".

Can anyone tell me which diameter male and female pins I need for this connection? It's listed as 7P1 in the manual.

IMG_1321.JPGIMG_1321.JPG
IMG_1327.JPGIMG_1327.JPG

#7 9 years ago

Here are some pictures of what these two connectors look like now. The male and female terminals both slide in and out of their housing well beyond what I think they should, though they never come completely out. Since they're so floppy, it makes it tough to connect the two.

Can anyone confirm what size terminals I should be using? These are .062", and I suspect I should be using .093". Thanks!

IMG_1330.JPGIMG_1330.JPG
IMG_1331.JPGIMG_1331.JPG

#8 9 years ago

Is there anyone that can help me out?

#9 9 years ago

Really hard to tell from the picture. Did you compare the new to the ones you removed? This would tell you for sure if the new are smaller than what was removed.

#10 9 years ago

We're talking a small fraction of an inch difference between the two sizes (.062" and .093") and I don't have a set of calipers, unfortunately. I was hoping that someone else might have gone through this before and allow me to learn from their experience.

#11 9 years ago

The approx. 30% size difference can be seen when compared visually. Looks like .062 as best as I can see from the picture. Is the removal tool you used marked for size? You can compare that to the terminals (no measuring needed just comparison).

#12 9 years ago

I didn't use a removal tool. I just mutilated the connectors until they came out. The female ones were definitely harder to do than the male ones. You might think that this would affect the size of the holes, but the male ones came out with minimal effort and are just as unstable as the female ones. Also, pins put into previously un-pinned (and thus, unextraced) holes behave the same way. It feels like these pins are just too small for the holes they're supposed to live in.

Are there any other kinds of pictures I can upload to make it easier to determine the size? Maybe I could include something for scale?

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from UvulaBob:

I just mutilated the connectors until they came out.

Pretty sure this is the answer to your problem (I just mutilated the connectors until they came out). Was what I was guessing when I asked about the removal tool. Could be a different length connector or more likely when you crimped you also crimped the section that is the stop (tab(s) that stops the crimp from going in too far).

add a picture of an untouched crimp connector alongside one that you have crimped and an original one.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from sixpakmopar:

Pretty sure this is the answer to your problem

I figured you'd say that, which is why I included this:

Quoted from UvulaBob:

Also, pins put into previously un-pinned (and thus, unextracted) holes behave the same way.

What I'm saying is that as an experiment, I took one of the pins that I bought and put it into one of the holes that had been untouched by me. Nothing had lived there previously at all. It had been completely empty from the start of this project. Despite that, the pin still slides around freely inside and protrudes almost completely out of the housing. The pins that were in there before were the same length as the ones I bought, and were in there nice and firm. No sliding around.

I think I'm just going to take the plunge and order the larger-diameter pin sizes and hope for the best. If that doesn't work, then I think I just have to accept that I have a male and female connector with unusual-sized holes for the pins that go into them.

#15 9 years ago

Sorry I am unable to help. I did not read/understand that you inserted an uncrimped pin into the hole as a test.
A picture (add a picture of an untouched crimp connector alongside one that you have crimped and an original one.)as I mentioned is worth 1,000 words and could easily help get the answer to your problem.

#16 9 years ago

I'll take more pictures tonight and update the post. Thanks!

#17 9 years ago

Have you made any progress the last 4 days on this issue? If so the solution would be nice to see to help out others in the future with the same problem.

Ed

#18 9 years ago

I've been having all kinds of weird electrical issues with the machine. I have new terminal pins coming in the mail in three different sizes. I suspect that once I get this connector properly re-pinned, a lot of issues will suddenly go away.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 22.50
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/road-kings-connector-wires and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.