• 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by tonedef131
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

s11ssol2.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tonedef131.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

I'm shopping a Road Kings and I'm having an issue with the right gate coil and the lower jet.

Bottom bumper - This one is weird, when I ground the transistor it fires good and strong every time. In test or gameplay it won't respond for the first several hits. If I leave the coil test on you can feel it hum and if you watch it below the playfield it has slight movement. This is for the first 10-20 hits then it will start firing strong and seems to stay that way until it has been off for a while. So far I completely disassembled it, cleaned all components, new coil sleeve, adjusted switches, new coil diode, new driver transistor and new pre-driver transistor.

Right Gate - This is one of those tiny coils that just has a little spring attached and pulls up the roll under gate. This is just plain dead, fires fine if grounded at the coil or driver transistor, nothing at all during test. So far I've replaced the coil diode, driver transistor and pre-driver transistor.

#3 9 years ago

Okay, I'll check this when I get home tonight. Assuming I'm not getting a a signal at the predriver (since everything downstream has been replaced), where do I go from there?

2 weeks later
#5 9 years ago

After another 5 hours chasing this around with two electrical engineers and replacing the driver & pre-driver transistors of all of them I gave up and took it to a local repairman with a system 11 test fixture. He updated the ROM, changed out the processor, checked sockets and reseated chips. Only Q77 was fixed, and he said he is not able to get Q31 or Q9 operating again. I'm not sure where to go from here besides just replacing the entire thing.

#8 9 years ago

Okay I got it fixed, there was actually two problems compounding so it threw me for a loop. U19 and U20 were both replaced which got Q31 firing again but Q9 was still down until the processor was changed out. Everything is working now except that lower jet is still very slow. Since it's def sending a signal during test I'm going to try swapping out the coil itself.

Quoted from Andy_B:I would suggest that the issue with the pop bumper sounds like a mechanical problem if you can hear it humming and moving slightly. Is anything bent or out of position causing the mechanism to bind? When it first refuses to fire can you move the pop bumper mechanism by hand?
Yeah it moves freely, I rebuilt the whole thing and once it's fired a few times it can go until it hasn't fired for a few seconds. It's like the coil needs to warm itself up or something.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Certainly several possibilities here. If the whole mech moves fluidly, having been rebuilt with new sleeves, I would check for cold solder joints on the wiring or loose/dirty contacts at the connectors. As for replacing the coil itself - for that to be the problem is not entirely outside the realm of possibility but coils are generally are fairly robust components - so I'd be looking around for other causes before jumping on the coil.

I know it, but I've tried everything else. I completely unsoldered and cleaned the contacts and resoldered including a new diode. I figure for the $9 coil it's worth a shot and if it doesn't end up being that, it never hurts to have an extra coil around.

#12 9 years ago

If I remember right it was the 6820 at U10.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 22.50
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tonedef131.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/road-kings-coils-issues?tu=tonedef131 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.