Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by terryb
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I am going through a Road Kings that I got in unknown condition. Despite the displays not working (I am waiting on parts to rebuild the high voltage supply) it boots fine and I can start a game. However, any time the center ramp switch is hit the current game ends. After the ball drains another game can be started. Thanks for taking time to read this, and if you have any insight its appreciated.

#2 9 years ago

It sounds like you have a switch matrix problem. Without displays it will be hard to track down. It sounds like a slam tilt switch is getting triggered by that ramp switch.

#3 9 years ago

That does make sense, slam tilt is on the same return line as center ramp. So what would I be looking for then, a bad diode?

#4 9 years ago

Yes, but the switch matrix is tricky. Look at all the switches on that row and column and make sure none of the diode leads or switch lugs are touching each other or other metal nearby.

#5 9 years ago

inspect all the switches in columns 1 and 4. Looking for a bent over diode or a stuck switch if the switch doesn't have a diode.

#6 9 years ago

Check for a shorted diode on the drop target and a stuck left coin switch.

#7 9 years ago

Out of curiosity, was this the one in the twin cities late last week -- pictured on saw horses (no legs) and not powered on and described like it was in great condition?

#8 9 years ago

nope this one was north of the boarder, in Winnipeg. Acquired it a month and a half ago along with a Panthera and Hardbody all for a damn good price. Actually, I shouldnt talk until i get them all working... Panthera hardly needed anything

#9 9 years ago

Since the game arrived not-working (at least that's what it sounds like) check the orientation of the diodes (someone who worked on it previously could have reversed one).

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

Since the game arrived not-working (at least that's what it sounds like) check the orientation of the diodes (someone who worked on it previously could have reversed one).

That's a good point. Again, it would be the drop target diode. A good test would be to see if the drop target registers when knocked down, it should not if the diode is reversed.

#11 9 years ago

its not the drop target that ends the game, but the flap switch when entering the top of the center ramp. also both side drains trigger coin chutes. i can tell by the coin chute tune playing when they are closed. i think ill wait until i get tye displays up ti start trouble shooting this

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from Spaceship:

its not the drop target that ends the game, but the flap switch when entering the top of the center ramp. also both side drains trigger coin chutes. i can tell by the coin chute tune playing when they are closed. i think ill wait until i get tye displays up ti start trouble shooting this

Which is exactly why troubleshooting the switch matrix can be difficult. Your side drains triggering coin switches can be and probably are related to the drop target too.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from Spaceship:

i think ill wait until i get tye displays up ti start trouble shooting this

This is the best idea. In the meantime, if you want some reading material see the following article. It's oriented towards WPC games, but the concept is the same and will help you identify the problem, which is half the problem.

http://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/solid-state-repair/repair-guides/146-switch-matrix-theory-and-troubleshooting

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/road-kings-center-ramp-switch-ends-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.