Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0510.jpg
IMG_0511.jpg
DSCN0652.JPG
DSCN0651.JPG
#1 11 years ago

OK, probably another really dumb question. Trying to swap out plastic webs on spiderman and I don't get what these connections are and how to remove.
Any tips? Do I replace with the same or screws? Where do I get them if so.
As always THANKS!!! : )

DSCN0651.JPGDSCN0651.JPG DSCN0652.JPGDSCN0652.JPG

#2 11 years ago

Bump

#3 11 years ago

I would go with rivets, if you don't have the tool Pinbits has pressless rivets.

http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=72

#4 11 years ago

They're rivets. You'll have to drill them out and replace with whatever bolt/screws look best to you or rivet them again if you have the equipment.

#5 11 years ago

Thanks!
ugh, drill them out!

At least I know now. What a pain...

#6 11 years ago

So will any drill bit work? Just drill from the back?

Thanks

#7 11 years ago

yeah...I haven't swapped out my webs just because of the drilling. Not particularly tough if you have the right equipment. I just don't and would likely must make a mess of all of it.

#8 11 years ago

: (

#9 11 years ago

I would probably disassemble the webs and whatever they are attached to and drill them outside of the machine so the debris will not be in your machine. You need a drill bit that is just barely bigger than the shaft portion of the rivet since it is that center shaft that holds the rivet together.

#10 11 years ago

Any electric drill will work, you just need to take the deformed edge off the back side of the rivet and it will then come off.

I recommend using screws with lock nuts or press-less rivets. Using standard rivets, you are likely to crack the colored acrylic.

#11 11 years ago

Taking the web off near the shooter lane is easy and you can pull it and get a feel for how drilling out the rivets goes in a more controlled setting (a work bench or table). You will also be able to get a good look at it and be able to decide what size drill bit you need for them. Then you can decide on how you want to proceed with the other 2. I had never done it before and I didn't have trouble with any of them except for the Sandman web. For the shooter lane web I pulled it from the machine, but the other 2 I drilled out while still on the game. I just put a rag down under the area I was drilling to catch any debris and I was very careful. The Sandman web was a real pain to get a good angle on, but I finally did it without tearing anything up.

I did find it quite strange when I did mine that everyone had described it as an easy mod. Not so much in my opinion...but I'm sure if you have access to every tool in the world (like many in the hobby do) it would be much easier.

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I did find it quite strange when I did mine that everyone had described it as an easy mod. Not so much in my opinion...but I'm sure if you have access to every tool in the world (like many in the hobby do) it would be much easier.

I suggested to Jason that he makes it a bit more clear if not to actually include screws as well. I noticed Wizzardz did not do his too. Certainly not easy. Even the Gobblin requires taking a bunch of stuff off.

#13 11 years ago

I would and have replaced them with screws much better option in case you ever have to take them out again. Remember to put down a towel over the playfield and to take your time and be careful with the drill. As DugFreez mentioned take the shooter lane one off the playfield first. It takes some time and can be a bit frustrating but in the end does not take too long to do and they really do look much better than the clear ones IMO.

You can get custom colors from this ebay seller. Great quality at a reasonable price.

ebay.com link: Stern Spiderman Pinball Web Plastics Custom Colors

#14 11 years ago

I replaced these webs with the colored ones from Steve's website. ya gotta drill those bad boys out!

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

I suggested to Jason that he makes it a bit more clear if not to actually include screws as well.

I wasn't aware someone else was making those. Steve Ritchie's come with 3/40 hardware. If whatever you're mounting on there didn't come with hardware, I suggest you get it rather than reriveting.

Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Even the Gobblin requires taking a bunch of stuff off.

Wait. The goblin? What exactly are you trying to install? SR's webbies don't include anything for GG.

#16 11 years ago

Wait. The goblin? What exactly are you trying to install? SR's webbies don't include anything for GG.

: ) Better sets out there..

Thanks everyone!!! You got me through it. Cheers!!

IMG_0511.jpgIMG_0511.jpg IMG_0510.jpgIMG_0510.jpg

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

You can get custom colors from this ebay seller. Great quality at a reasonable price.
Ebay link

We have done a couple of interesting color combinations so far through ebay sales. So far, we've done a couple sets of all black, a set of mixed fluorescents and a set of all three red. Any of the stuff we do we are willing to customize the colors, just let us know....

I am going to look at what size screws are needed and if it makes sense to include them. Does everyone agree that screws is the way to go? I did our machine a couple years ago, and just used so left over screws that i had in my pinball parts bin.

#18 11 years ago

I highly recommend you include the screws. I ended up using 6-32s from Home depot after I bought the 8s first. Next time one trip and just buy many sizes, doh!
Sandman can be a pain so I just took the back off and and then it was a breeze.
Great mod though! Thanks

#19 11 years ago

Thanks for the feed back. We originally just made replacements for the three existing ones but my fiancee thought gg and venom needed thier own, so i pulled our machine a part and let her design webs for them too.

#20 11 years ago

The GG's green plastics are pretty sweet, first that I've seen. Who makes those, I want them?

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

: ) Better sets out there..

That's a matter of opinion. I sure hope you recently updated the software. I'd hate to think you did all that modding on the game without getting Battle Royale champ yet. d

#22 11 years ago

I got the original 3 colored webbies from Steve Ritchie's site...but I drilled out the web in the shooter lane and ended up just leaving it clear. I later bought the GG and Venom webs from Jason. The GG web did take a bit more tearing down than I first expected, but I really like the way it looks.

I recommend them and Jason is a great guy to deal with. Jason, I would suggest including the hardware for all of the webs. I know the ones I got from Steve Ritchie had them included and it made it much easier than re-riveting or having to track down the right sizes myself.

#23 11 years ago

Dave, looks good! You keep going at it like this and one of these days yours will look as nice as mine! ))

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from rlslick:

The GG's green plastics are pretty sweet, first that I've seen. Who makes those, I want them?

http://www.fabunlimited.com/pinball-parts.html

#25 11 years ago

Hwawonyu - Thanks for posting the link, appreciate it!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 25.95
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 25.50
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Lombard, IL
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rivets-or-screws-on-plastics and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.