• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2022-03-06 at 5.29.07 PM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2022-03-06 at 3.09.44 PM (resized).png
#1 2 years ago

I am replacing the plastics on my TOM. Some of the plastics have light domes attached with rivets. I have pop rivets that leave a hole in the top. The ones I drilled out didn't have the hole. I see on Marco lots of what they call "tubular", and they have a tool.

Does everyone use these tubular rivets? Or do you use the pop rivets? There are SOOO many to choose from. Pop rivets are cheap and easy to find locally. So I can see them, compare them to the size I have, and return them easily if not. Besides, I have a bunch of various sizes.

Should I go to the extra effort to get the other type?

Screen Shot 2022-03-06 at 3.09.44 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-03-06 at 3.09.44 PM (resized).png
#2 2 years ago

I've put those domes back in using screws and a bolt underneath .. don't think and exact match is that important..

#3 2 years ago

Don't use pop rivets anywhere you can see them in the game. Use 1/8" tubular rivets and the proper rivet set to clinch them over. You need to get the proper length rivet based on the thickness of what you're riveting together and whether or not you are using a backing washer.

#4 2 years ago

There's also plastic snap rivets. I'm not sure what was originally used on TOM--if tubular rivets were used, or if snap rivets were.

Pop rivets are *never* used.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Pop rivets are *never* used.

Hahaha! Don't judge me! You'll give me a complex.

#6 2 years ago

So what I'm hearing is, "if you have new plastics, install them 'right' using the proper rivets."

I'm seeing this online: ebay.com link: itm

I absolutely do NOT want to use a hammer. I will definitely tap one too many times and end up with a broken plastic.

The plastic set was a gift. I suppose this is the cost of my plastics.

Screen Shot 2022-03-06 at 5.29.07 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-03-06 at 5.29.07 PM (resized).png
#7 2 years ago
Quoted from UltraPeepi:

I absolutely do NOT want to use a hammer.

The are press fit with dies. You don't use a hammer.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

The are press fit with dies. You don't use a hammer.

My point was, there are dies that you hammer, and I don't want to use one of those. If you have a recommendation other than the clamp that I provided the link, I'd appreciate it.

#9 2 years ago

Info and options here (not mine), which may be helpful:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rivets-and-rivet-kits-now-available

#10 2 years ago

Search for a 3" rivet hand squeezer tool. Should run about $130-$180.

You'll also need a head and rollover dies of the appropriate size for the semi-tubular rivets.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from UltraPeepi:

So what I'm hearing is, "if you have new plastics, install them 'right' using the proper rivets."
I'm seeing this online: ebay.com link: itm
I absolutely do NOT want to use a hammer. I will definitely tap one too many times and end up with a broken plastic.
The plastic set was a gift. I suppose this is the cost of my plastics.
[quoted image]

Buy the pintonka, great tool. I have had mine for years. Takes a hot minute to learn, but then is easy.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

I've put those domes back in using screws and a bolt underneath .. don't think and exact match is that important..

I think that's really the right choice, for most people. That's probably what I should have done. I was looking at my GOTG, and they use philips screw and nut. I never noticed.

I will say, pop rivets are probably the 'wrongest' solution - partly because of the look, but also because they expand and could crack the plastic, if the hole isn't oversized enough.

One more thing: when drilling out the old rivets, take your time. They will get hot enough to melt the plastic. Fortunately, I did not damage to mine - but it would be an easy mistake to make.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from UltraPeepi:

Does everyone use these tubular rivets?

I do.

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from UltraPeepi:

Does everyone use these tubular rivets?

Yes

Quoted from UltraPeepi:

when drilling out the old rivets, take your time. They will get hot enough to melt the plastic

If that's happening, you either have a very dull bit or the rivet is spinning. There's not a lot of material there to drill out and it should be very quick.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanted
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Manteca, CA
€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rivets-5?hl=eyeamred2u and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.