Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by dasvis
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

mashrivets.JPG
    WP_20150228_20_16_28_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150228_20_16_19_Pro.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Freeplay40.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 9 years ago

I do a lot of riveting with the ramps I make. I have a rivet press like the one at Pin Restore. While the press works great there are times that due to the location of the rivet the press simply cannot reach it. In those cases I use a hand held rivet tool. First off there are two "dies" to any rivet set. One is concave and supports the head while the business end actually compresses and "rolls over" the rivet bottom. In the cases where I cannot use the press I use a hand held roll over die that is about 4 inches long. To use this die, the rivet head must be supported, then the hand held die is positioned and then with a hammer, you pound until the rivet is rolled over and the work secure. A piece of hardwood can be used to support the rivet head, or in my case I slip the work over one of the jaws of my vise and then hammer away. This tool is available at Hanson Rivets for $25.

http://www.hansonrivet.com/hand-rivet-clinchers.htm

Specifically, the Hanson model for the 1/8" semi tubular riveting is Item HT-174

You can also get this tool for the same $25 price at Pin Restore. At least to begin getting set up with riveting, I'd recommend buying from Pin Restore as they also sell a nice little starter set of rivets and washers. The rivets they provide are nickel plated brass rivets which are a little softer than the steel rivets I use.

http://www.pinrestore.com/Riveting.html

Unless you are doing a lot of riveting and want the convenience of a rivet press, this one tool could be used exclusively with great results. I'd be glad to pass on any further info if desired.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Freeplay40.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/riveting-targets-a-new-tool?tu=Freeplay40 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.