Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by kyle5574
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20150422191213405_(resized).jpg
    Hand_Roll_Over_punch_(resized).JPG
    #1 8 years ago

Hello, I'm (still) in the process of replacing a playfield, plastics, and ramps on my Monopoly. I've just transferred all the wiring from the ramps to their new replacements, but the left ramp I purchased didn't have the light brackets pre-riveted.

I know the size, and I know that 2 brackets use semi-tubular rivets, while the one on the end uses a pop rivet. My problem is, I'm not sure what kind of tool I should be using to install a semi-tubular rivet. I've looked around the interwebs and I gather there are hand tools..which is basically a rod that you bash with a malette and it peens the end..which I don't want to do as we're talking about plastic here. I imagine most of the riveting that is done with one of these is metal on metal. The other option I've seen is this squeezer tool but it is really expensive.

Anyone have any experience with this? How did you fasten the rivets?

Mike

#2 8 years ago

If you are not going to do a lot of riveting, the tool pictured below would work fine. I actually posted a video of using it here...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/swords-of-fury-custom-ramps/page/8

The trick to riveting where the bottom end of the rivet will contact plastic is to use a washer.

You can get the tool pictured below along with a nice starter kit of rivets here...

http://www.pinrestore.com/Riveting.html

Hand_Roll_Over_punch_(resized).JPGHand_Roll_Over_punch_(resized).JPG

#3 8 years ago

I've been dodging a rivet press for a long time because of cost. Thanks for the video; this demo confirms that rollover punch is EXACTLY my speed.

Thanks!
    faz

#4 8 years ago

You can support the rivet heads with a piece of hardwood for a cleaner finish. In the video, I am setting a steel rivet. The set from Pinball Tools contained nickel plated brass rivets and will roll over with much less effort.

#5 8 years ago

Thanks so much for the help. I'll try this - I'm just worried as it's plastic on plastic...I just don't want to use too much force

#6 8 years ago

Hey do you think one of these would work? (free shipping, cheaper)

http://www.amazon.ca/Fogood-Leather-Setter-Install-Button/dp/B00V7YHTR0/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1

#7 8 years ago

Nice find!

Even cheaper in US. http://www.amazon.com/Leathercraft-11pcs-Setter-Install-Button/dp/B00QWE5PR6/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1

Bah in looking I cant see where they have a correct roll tool for the back.

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from miker_70:

Thanks so much for the help. I'll try this - I'm just worried as it's plastic on plastic...I just don't want to use too much force

Semi tubular rivets are only "tubular" at the bottom. The trick to riveting is selecting the length rivet. Since they are tubular for a short distance, there is a limit as to how far you can compress them. Always use a washer when the rolled over portion of the rivet will contact plastic...Just go slowly until you get a nice snug fit. If it is not tight after your first attempt, hit it some more. You could try practicing on some scrap plastic.

#9 8 years ago

Thanks for the help

..so will the tool in the Amazon link work?

#10 8 years ago

Here's basically what happens when a rivet of the wrong length is used, in addition to the wrong sized punch.

20150422191213405_(resized).jpg20150422191213405_(resized).jpg

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from miker_70:

Thanks for the help
    ..so will the tool in the Amazon link work?

No...those are tools for working with leather.. You need the tool I pictured above.

#12 8 years ago

Thanks. As a canuck, it's tough to swallow 60 dollars (USD-CDN + shipping) for a tool that I think I can get somewhere else....I'll keep searching. Or maybe I should get in to leatherwork??!? Who needs some boots??

#13 8 years ago

I see lots of guys on here from ON. Is there a local group up there? Very likely there is someone in your area that could help you out.

#15 8 years ago

Thanks

1 month later
    #16 8 years ago

Thought I should update this. I bought the Amazon leather tools anyway. I'm not in a rush, and I figured I'd give it a shot - I can't justify 60.00 for a metal punch.

At any rate, I finally received the right sized rivets/washers a few days ago and put the concept to test. Worked perfectly. It's hard to see the difference between the manufacture job and what I did in fact.

#17 8 years ago

I just replaced my Cyclone Comet ramp and used these to rivet a lamp bracket and protector:
    http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=72

Only tool required is a hammer. They're not as sturdy as real rivets, but they work fine for pieces that don't have a lot of force applied to them (like lamp brackets).

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/riveting-ramp-light-brackets-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.