EC7A2022-3945-41A5-A949-EE88188FA355.jpeg
E5F12C4F-F085-40DA-9B20-4C6DEDF2614B.jpeg
308084CB-486F-496D-9998-9C6CD2F70756 (resized).jpeg
C7950702-F086-477E-BADB-060B14DDC163 (resized).jpeg
CC4962F1-EF48-454F-9643-213201D6B65F (resized).jpeg
1DF37488-E743-46D0-8245-86E34E616B88 (resized).jpeg
9D6ABCD5-8B7F-4CFD-B310-80181A2B0ED5 (resized).jpeg
#1 5 years ago

I’m replacing the plastics in my DESW a notice the original rivets are solid instead of the ones you punch with a gun that has a hole in the center after being punched.

I got some solid rivets and the only way I’m aware of getting them set is with a hammer and punch.

The dilemma for me is I’m inevitably going to damage the plastic trying to hammer these in so while the solid is original and looks better, I can live with the holy rivets.

Curious though what everyone else is doing. I’ll post pics later as well

#2 5 years ago

I dealt with this recently on my custom build. I used a combination of a rivet clamp from Marco (which worked well, but only near edges where the tool could fit) and the hammer and punch you mentioned. This method is okay with some preparation and self-control. Place the plastics upside-down (so the round rivet heads face downwards) on top of something very hard and rigid; mostly I used the anvil surface of a benchtop vise. MAKE SURE to put down something protective, such as a rag, so the plastic doesn't get scratched by that surface. Place your center punch on the backside of each rivet, and give it a few taps with the hammer. You will be able to see the rivet being flared out as it happens (assuming you are using similar sized rivets/punch as I did), so vary your hammering strength so that you fill the gap between plastic and rivet, but don't overdo it or you will squeeze the plastic and make spiderweb cracks.

In contrast, pop rivets - the type with a hole after assembly - require a lot of force to apply, and are very likely to damage the plastic in the process.

You may want to wait for others to chime in about this before proceeding, but this method worked very well for me.

#3 5 years ago

Not solid, but tubular. (Definitely don't use pop-rivets)
Search pinside for HT-174 and you'll find posts about hand rivet clinchers & sqeezer dies from Hanson.

Or build a die press from a Harbor Freight arbor press.

Or send/give your stuff to someone local to do the work. (best option for 1-off)

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from Timerider:

Not solid, but tubular. (Definitely don't use pop-rivets)
Search pinside for HT-174 and you'll find posts about hand rivet clinchers & sqeezer dies from Hanson.
Or build a die press from a Harbor Freight arbor press.
Or send/give your stuff to someone local to do the work. (best option for 1-off)

Ok, I see the HT-174 seems to be it. Do you also get a squeezer die to go below it? I notice the first time I hammered rivets the nice dome cap went flat because of the flat surface I pounded it on vs a concaved die

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

Ok, I see the HT-174 seems to be it. Do you also get a squeezer die to go below it? I notice the first time I hammered rivets the nice dome cap went flat because of the flat surface I pounded it on vs a concaved die

Yes... before I built my press, I mounted the squeezer die in a block of (hard) wood. Or put in a vise.
Sometimes you need to be creative depending on where the rivet is, in relation to ramp/plastics curves, edges, switches, etc.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

You dont really need the domed die.
Hammer it on a piece of oak or maple. It will preserve the surface.

I use a piece off an old oak pallet.

I have also used the endgrain cut of a piece of 2x4 in my vice.

Good results.

If you want you can make the domed die out of a 1/2" lag screw or hex bolt by grinding out the center a little with a demel, drill bit or grinding wheel and put it in a vise or piece of wood.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

You dont really need the domed die.
Hammer it on a piece of oak or maple. It will preserve the surface.
I use a piece off an old oak pallet.
I have also used the endgrain cut of a piece of 2x4 in my vice.
Good results.
If you want you can make the domed die out of a 1/2" lag screw or hex bolt by grinding out the center a little with a demel, drill bit or grinding wheel and put it in a vise or piece of wood.

Well I guess lucky for me Hanson Rivet is driving distance from me so guess I’ll be stopping by there to get some parts.

Thanks for the info, very helpful

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from Gornkleschnitzer:

I dealt with this recently on my custom build. I used a combination of a rivet clamp from Marco (which worked well, but only near edges where the tool could fit) and the hammer and punch you mentioned. This method is okay with some preparation and self-control. Place the plastics upside-down (so the round rivet heads face downwards) on top of something very hard and rigid; mostly I used the anvil surface of a benchtop vise. MAKE SURE to put down something protective, such as a rag, so the plastic doesn't get scratched by that surface. Place your center punch on the backside of each rivet, and give it a few taps with the hammer. You will be able to see the rivet being flared out as it happens (assuming you are using similar sized rivets/punch as I did), so vary your hammering strength so that you fill the gap between plastic and rivet, but don't overdo it or you will squeeze the plastic and make spiderweb cracks.
In contrast, pop rivets - the type with a hole after assembly - require a lot of force to apply, and are very likely to damage the plastic in the process.
You may want to wait for others to chime in about this before proceeding, but this method worked very well for me.

I was having a look at what you did with your homebrew. I like it. I've been mulling over different ramp options. I fully welded mine out of steel, but I like your plastic metal rivots combo... Then there's vac forming, dont think I will be good at that one

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Spinape:

Then there's vac forming, dont think I will be good at that one

I sure wasn't! I finally settled on the hybrid design because it looks at least half modern, definitely a bit industrial, doesn't require ramp protectors but does let you see through it, etc. Definitely use rivets instead of screws for mounting, or else you'll have a lot of screws falling out.

#10 5 years ago

So drove down to Hanson Rivet, and let’s just say they do Rivets. So forget about the HT-174, Enter the HS-30E

9D6ABCD5-8B7F-4CFD-B310-80181A2B0ED5 (resized).jpeg9D6ABCD5-8B7F-4CFD-B310-80181A2B0ED5 (resized).jpeg

#11 5 years ago

Here is my X-Wing plastic with the perfect rivet set. The rear fold is perfect with the die. This tool pretty much guarantees you won’t jack up your $150+ playfield plastics

1DF37488-E743-46D0-8245-86E34E616B88 (resized).jpeg1DF37488-E743-46D0-8245-86E34E616B88 (resized).jpeg308084CB-486F-496D-9998-9C6CD2F70756 (resized).jpeg308084CB-486F-496D-9998-9C6CD2F70756 (resized).jpegC7950702-F086-477E-BADB-060B14DDC163 (resized).jpegC7950702-F086-477E-BADB-060B14DDC163 (resized).jpegCC4962F1-EF48-454F-9643-213201D6B65F (resized).jpegCC4962F1-EF48-454F-9643-213201D6B65F (resized).jpeg
#12 5 years ago

That thing looks awesome...I need one.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

Here is my X-Wing plastic with the perfect rivet set. The rear fold is perfect with the die. This tool pretty much guarantees you won’t jack up your $150+ playfield plastics
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

nice tool !

#14 5 years ago

Yeah I was pretty sketched out on ruining my plastics but this tool is a sure shot.

They have a load of different types and presses if you have a good bench

The HT-30E and others like it are found here:

https://www.hansonrivet.com/tools-machines/tubular-rivet-tools-machines/hand-rivet-squeezers/

You can also call them, I spoke to a guy named Ross Winn and he was very helpful. His email is [email protected] - dude knows his sh*t

1 year later
#15 4 years ago

Which size rivet did you buy to use with the HT30E and star wars plastics? I'm finding myself lost with all the choices available online!

#16 4 years ago

shepP Hey so I couldn’t find my original bag for Star Wars but I believed they were 3/16(tall) x 1/8(diameter). If you call Hansen and give them the plastic thickness plus the metal bracket, they will confirm.

As far as the dyes go for the crimped, I’ve attached pics of them and they appear to be 1/4 inch and the gap is 1/8. The part numbers look like they are on each (zoom in)

Hopefully this helps

E5F12C4F-F085-40DA-9B20-4C6DEDF2614B.jpegE5F12C4F-F085-40DA-9B20-4C6DEDF2614B.jpegEC7A2022-3945-41A5-A949-EE88188FA355.jpegEC7A2022-3945-41A5-A949-EE88188FA355.jpegFAA42608-E9CA-4E17-B95E-78371226CD28.jpegFAA42608-E9CA-4E17-B95E-78371226CD28.jpeg
#17 4 years ago

how much that tool set you back?

#18 4 years ago

I use a rivet press. Small arbor press was like 25$ at Harbor Freight and long ago on RGP someone was selling the rivet heads. Have used it for Many years and love it.

812B6A4E-9EAA-4D78-A717-88B2FE9D0D03 (resized).png812B6A4E-9EAA-4D78-A717-88B2FE9D0D03 (resized).png
#19 4 years ago

That is the same setup I got. I think I got the mod kit from pinrestore.com.
Love it. Like $90 all in

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

how much that tool set you back?

The squeezer is about $100 and the die sets can run ~$30

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I use a rivet press. Small arbor press was like 25$ at Harbor Freight and long ago on RGP someone was selling the rivet heads. Have used it for Many years and love it.[quoted image]

That’s a nice one. Looks more controlled as well.

#22 4 years ago

Thanks for the Hanson recommendation. I just called them and they were great. Couple minutes on the phone and they had me set up with what I needed. Their pricing on the hand rivet tools is actually pretty decent too from what I was finding everywhere else - - plus it was nice to actually talk to someone and know that everything I'm getting is going to work together properly.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

That’s a nice one. Looks more controlled as well.

It is great and use this same one too. The hand one looks nice as well and I'll admit there's a few times that a larger throat would help fitting some odd things to rivet. I do have mine mounted on a bench which could be why though. The hand clincher may have some advantages in that case.

#24 4 years ago

I actually have this one but bought my own arbor press from HF and used their die sets. Have both long and short as you use them more than you think as well as master rivet set. They're good people and prices are reasonable.

https://www.pinrestore.com/Riveting.html

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Thanks for the Hanson recommendation. I just called them and they were great. Couple minutes on the phone and they had me set up with what I needed. Their pricing on the hand rivet tools is actually pretty decent too from what I was finding everywhere else - - plus it was nice to actually talk to someone and know that everything I'm getting is going to work together properly.

Yeah I’m lucky enough to live driving distance. They do rivets like nobody else. They came out and spent a quality amount of time measuring the plastics and explaining everything in detail. When you crimp you’re first perfect rivet, you’ll be staring at it for a bit cuz it just looks clean & factory. Good luck

#26 4 years ago

The right tools make all the difference in the world.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/riveting-playfield-plastics-w-solid-rivets and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.