Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by Squeakman
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

I would like to make some new ramp flaps (or at least get a good cleaning of the old ones) and I wanted to get a few pros & cons for the following riveting options:

- Any experience with the pressless riveting kit from pinbits? Does it hold up with ramp flaps? This would be the most cost effective choice. http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=72&zenid=vei169n7fi40qm90vp0unieeq4

- What about this die set http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=TL-DIE2X18&Category_Code=RVT&Product_Count=10
    Can you use with a vice with this and press carefully?

- Finally should I just bit the bullet and buy a press? http://www.pinrestore.com/Riveting.html It is a bit pricey but I saw the one gweempose has and it is a real nice tool. But they are out of stock right now.

Also, what size length rivet do you buy for attaching ramp flaps?

Thanks in advance.

#2 12 years ago

I just ordered one of these. I haven't received it yet but I talked with the guy a bit and he also uses it on his pinball machines as well as other things. It's a complete solution for 1/8" tubular rivets used on almost all ramps out of the box and much cheaper than anything else I could find.

I can't vouch for it yet, but it looks promising and the price was right.

ebay.com link: Tonka Semi Tubular Rivet Tool Dies Rivets 1 8

<sub class="mdrtd">Post edited by Tekman : Forgot link</sub>

#3 12 years ago

I have the pinrestore version and it works great.
    I started with the pinbits and works but the rivets are not as tight as I would like.
    Lucked out and got my pinrestore press for just over half the cost of new.

If your getting into restoring on a consistant basis (ramp flaps - plastic stacks) bite the bullett.
    Will come in handy for repairs you wouldnt have thought of too.

#5 12 years ago

I have the PinRestore press as well, and it's awesome. There is something to be said about being able to make factory perfect rivets whenever you want. I've already used it at least a dozen times. It's definitely expensive, but like all quality tools, you get what you pay for. By the way, if anyone in the Chicago area needs something riveted, you are more than welcome to swing by and use my press.

#6 12 years ago

I swear by the Pinbits Pressless Rivet Kit at a mere 10 bucks.

I've used it to install stainless steel ramp flaps on both plastic
    ramps and on metal.

Some people have reported poor results. But after speaking with
    Martin, he explained the trick to it:

When you strike the clip, it has to be perfectly flat (or parallel with
    your floor). If not, the washer will come loose.

The fail-safe test is after its applied, you simply pull up to see if
    it releases. If not, you did it right and it's on there till you Dremel
    it off.

#7 12 years ago
    Quoted from NM:

I swear by the Pinbits Pressless Rivet Kit at a mere 10 bucks.
    I've used it to install stainless steel ramp flaps on both plastic
    ramps and on metal.
    Some people have reported poor results. But after speaking with
    Martin, he explained the trick to it:
    When you strike the clip, it has to be perfectly flat (or parallel with
    your floor). If not, the washer will come loose.
    The fail-safe test is after its applied, you simply pull up to see if
    it releases. If not, you did it right and it's on there till you Dremel
    it off.

Funny this topic came up as I just started to install my new flap for myt TZ last night. I bought the pinbits pressless kit and have had nothing but trouble getting them to hold.

#8 12 years ago

I bought the kit from Pinrestore and the arbor press from Harbor Freightand made mine and it works great. At the time, the assembled one wasnt available. FYI, your going to need a large drill press if you buy the kit.

#9 12 years ago

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to start with the pinbits kit and see how it goes. I might end up buying the press sometime later but have been spending to much lately on parts and tools with my project

#10 12 years ago
    Quoted from Doot77:

Funny this topic came up as I just started to install my new flap for myt TZ last night. I bought the pinbits pressless kit and have had nothing but trouble getting them to hold.

Follow the instructions Martin gave me and you'll be good to go.

#11 12 years ago

I did the Pinrestore arbor press and it works great. Bought the kit, went to Harbor Freight and bought an arbor press and put the kit together. The only knock I have on it is with bigger plastics like the upper playfield on my NGG(got a new upper playfield and swapped the parts out) it was hard to get some of the rivet areas in to the arbor press for pressing.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rivet-tool-questions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.