(Topic ID: 247065)

Rivet tool on Marco website

By Archon9000

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

detail (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

Has anyone used the rivet tool sold on the Marco website? Did it work well for you?

By looking at the picture, I'm not really sure how it's used. I've heard good things about the punch sold by PinRestore, but am already placing a Marco order, and figured their tool might be worth trying out.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/77-6663

Thanks in advance!!

detail (resized).jpgdetail (resized).jpg
    #2 4 years ago

Not sure if you needed more detail, but the description on the Marco site seams similar to the ones they sell at my local hardware store...

“RIVET TOOL FOR SOLID & TUBULAR RIVETS
    #77-6663
    Setting Tool for solid, tubular, and semi-tubular rivets.
    Use with hammer to squeeze and form rivets on ramps, target switch faces, and other assemblies.
    140" Setter Hole Diameter.
    Not for use with pop-rivets.
    Set solid rivets using this tool and your hammer. For proper installation, choose a tool with a setter hole diameter slightly larger than the rivet being set. Push the rivet through a hole in the materials to be joined and place a washer on the rivet on the backside of the material. Use the tool's straight hole to drive the washer down tight against the material.
    Cut the rivet off 1/16" above the washer with side or end nippers. The outlet hole on the side of the rivet setter can be used to dislodge any waste that is wedged into the tool.
    Place the concave recess of the tool on the washer. Hold the tool perpendicular and strike it forcefully, turning to the left then right as you strike. This spreads the end of the rivet over the washer, simultaneously rounding its end.
    Reference:
    77-6663
    Weight: 6.9 oz”

1 year later
    #3 3 years ago

The one listed on MARCO site is the Osborn 169-9 tool. You can get them everywhere. That said, not sure how it would work with tubular rivets. Its intended for leatherwork. It is intentionally designed for solid rivets and basically crushes the top of a solid rivet (usually soft copper). With tubular, I am going to try the pinrestore.com rollover punch tool which rolls the tubular edge over from the inside to outside.

#4 3 years ago

What you need is a Hanson Hand Riveter.

https://www.hansonrivet.com/tools-machines/tubular-rivet-tools-machines/hand-rivet-squeezers/

Not cheap, but easy to use and will last a lifetime.

#5 3 years ago

I picked up a HT-174 awhile back. It is $25 on Amazon. Intended for the 1/8 tubular rivets, and is long enough to work inside troughs with ease.

#6 3 years ago

Pintonka Rivet Tool

http://www.arbortime.mountainminded.net/html/the_better_tonka_rivet_tool_-_.html

I use this and the pinrestore arbor kit.

The pintonka takes a little bit to figure out, but once you get it it works so well. I use the Pinrestore arbor kit for my larger ramps and big pieces that the Pintonka can't accommodate. If you have to start, go for the Pintonka first. You have to do a lot to get the arbor set up for the Pinrestore kit unless you buy it already pre built from them.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rivet-tool-on-marco-website?hl=eyeamred2u and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.