Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Jdawg4422
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0678[1].JPG
    IMG_0677[1].JPG
    IMG_0676[1].JPG
    #1 11 years ago

Any suggestions for a cheap rivet press for attching replacement metal ramp flaps? and is it a standard size rivet for these?

#2 11 years ago

hmm, I think Gweem has a rivet press. He might have a good suggestion.

#3 11 years ago

I'd be happy to rivet it for you if you bring it over. If you want to do it yourself, I've heard good things about the Pinbits pressless rivets.

#4 11 years ago

Pinrestore has a rivet punch that you use a hammer to set the rivets. It works pretty well, but you have to be careful not to break the plastic at the same time.

Tom

#5 11 years ago

The pinrestore press is the way to go if you get their kit and can do some drilling and stuff you can save yourself about a hundred bucks going that route. Ive had nothing but problems with the press less rivets so I finally upgraded to the press and am glad I did. Takes two seconds to do and they don't fall off down the road like the press less ones have for me.

#6 11 years ago

I just finished building mine today, it works great, I got the press from HF and the 2
    Dies from pinrestore. I spent the better part of the day sanding, drilling, and painting it.
    I can't wait until the time comes to use it so I can laugh at the broken rivet and tell Murphy to suck it

#7 11 years ago

Total cost 35.00 for press, 40.00 for dies and about 4 hrs of labor

#8 11 years ago

hmmmm I guess I was hoping a simple hand tool would work. I just ordered some ramp flaps off of pinbits.com and they come with a "pressless" rivet tool. Not really sure how that will work but if it's a bust, I may take you up on that offer Gweem, thanks.

#9 11 years ago

Any pics? Which hf press? The press less revits slide off. Not good.

Where do you buy the rivets and washers for the press? Are they brass?

#10 11 years ago

I've had the press for awhile, but didn't have the converter kit for it. Just ordered it today. Figured, I should get some use out of the press I bought 6 months ago.

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from Av8:

Any pics? Which hf press? The press less revits slide off. Not good.
    Where do you buy the rivets and washers for the press? Are they brass?

I'll supply some photos of mine this evening. like Celiac502, I purchased the harbor freight arbor press ($28.50 after the sale price and a 20% off coupon , and the conversion kit from pinrestore.com

you need a drill press to convert the arbor press, but you only need to drill 5 holes in total (2 - 5/16" holes and 3 - 3/16" holes). I think it only took about 45 mins of "actual" time spaced out over 2 evenings

pinrestore.com also sells a 320pc. kit containing 6 different sized nickel plated brass rivets (40 of each size) and backing washers (120 backing washers and 240 rivets) for $28
    http://pinrestore.com/Riveting.html

harbor freight 1/2 ton arbor press (you could go with the 1 ton version, but you really don't gain that much more room and it weighs a lot more) - note: it's on sale right now, and you can use the internet coupon on their front page to save an additional 20% off
    http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-ton-arbor-press-3551.html

IMG_0676[1].JPGIMG_0676[1].JPG
    IMG_0677[1].JPGIMG_0677[1].JPG
    IMG_0678[1].JPGIMG_0678[1].JPG

Post edited by j_m_ : here are the promised pics

#12 11 years ago

I have this setup, I haven't had a chance to use it but a friend of mine says it works great

I bought my press from Enco:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=805-1005

I bought the conversion kit from Pinrestore plus a huge set of rivets.

EDIT: Just noticed that Harbor Freight will not ship. Enco shipped my press to me, was reasonable cost wise.

#13 11 years ago

If you just have a few rivets to do actionpinball has a send off service with great turnaround time.

#14 11 years ago

I have the Rivet Press posted in the pictures. Works great. I did have a problem riveting on my NGG upper ramp though. Big peices do not fit under it well sometimes.

#15 11 years ago

I have the HF/Pinrestore press as well as a Hurky tool. I also have an extension handle for the pinrestore dies and a block of wood for using a hammer (gently) for parts that won't fit in the press.

It takes all 3 of these to restore games in my shop.

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from Squeakman:

Big peices do not fit under it well sometimes.

True. This is the only downside to the HF/Pinrestor press. Most things do fit in it, though.

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I'd be happy to rivet it for you if you bring it over. If you want to do it yourself, I've heard good things about the Pinbits pressless rivets.

the pressless work great *if* you drive them perfectly straight. if you get off the hole gets oval and loose. I used them before I got my press.

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from Squeakman:

I have the Rivet Press posted in the pictures. Works great. I did have a problem riveting on my NGG upper ramp though. Big peices do not fit under it well sometimes.

Hey chad. im going to need to come over some time soon. My high speed diverter rivets broke off last weekend.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rivet-press-for-ramp-flaps and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.