(Topic ID: 218842)

Rivet dies needed

By mario_1_up

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Freeplay40.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from mario_1_up:

Thanks freeplay40 I ordered a set. sucks they dont have the long ones. I guess I could just make a extension on the lathe at work.

If you are wanting the 4" hand held roll over die, they have them. It is item HT-174.

https://www.hansonrivet.com/tools-machines/solid-rivet-tools-machines/hand-rivet-clinchers/

I have a rivet press, but use the hand held probably just as much for those places the press can't get to. I also rarely use the head support die. I just use a bolt with the bottom ground concave with a Dremel.

I order my rivets in 1000 quantities these days, so if you have any questions about riveting in general, feel free to contact me.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from moonwk:

I wanted to replace my ramp guard for afm. What size rivet and die will I need?

The type of rivets used on pinball machines are called Oval Head, Semi-Tubular rivets. Primarily all the rivets are 1/8" in diameter (shaft). The trick is the length of the rivet needed. Basically when you assemble what you are riveting, the semi-tubular end will protrude about 1/8" beyond the bracket or the washer if needed. Most common lengths for flaps and brackets are 7/32" and 1/4 inch. Whenever the rolled over end of the rivet would be against plastic (look under one of your flaps) you must use a washer.

Pin Restore sells a great rivet starter kit which I would highly recommend for $30...see link...

http://pinrestore.com/Riveting.html

His kit contains nickel plated brass rivets. Brass rivets are easier to "roll over". I use all steel nickel or zinc plate rivets. That kit and the hand held roll over tool from Hanson Rivets (Item HT-174) is really all you need to do most riveting... A press is also handy but cannot get to all rivets. The hand held tool can do everything. You just need to solidly support the head of the rivet while you hammer the other end. For brass rivets a piece of hardwood works well. When I use the hand held, I either position the piece in my vise or use a bolt that I have ground concave to match the rivet head, again in my vice.

Here is short video I did here on Pinside demonstrating the hand held roll over die.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/swords-of-fury-custom-ramps/page/8

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from biglaw:

I have bought from jc rivet. May want to check there site out.

I started with JC Rivet, but found better pricing at Hanson's. I think I'm paying around $.04 per rivet, but that is based on a price break at 1000. I go through a lot of 7/32" and 1/4". I also keep 3/16", 9/32 and 5/16" and even have some 13/64" that I think I got originally at JC.

Hanson also sells a variety of washers which vary in diameter and thickness, but you can always just got to Lowes or Home Depot, find the pop rivet section and you will find suitable 1/8" washers there.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from KornFreak28:

More
    Thanks for the info! Do you buy the washers at pinrestore?

I don't because I buy in large quantities. The Pinrestore kit comes with washers and they sell them separately. I just recommend their kit because it is a good way to get started with everything you will need.

Every town needs someone set up to do riveting. I help out locals whenever they ask.

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from moonwk:

Steel vs brass. I’m guessing steel is stronger and would last longer than a brass rivet. Are the flaps going to separate over time more so than the brass. If not then why doesn’t everyone just use the brass? Thanks for the advice.

Honestly, I don't think I've ever seen a rivet fail on a pinball machine and have seen both brass and steel used...Ex...High Speed was done with steel rivets while Swords of Fury was done with plated brass rivets. One thing for sure is that brass rivets are easier to remove than steel rivets!

11 months later
    #18 4 years ago

If unsure what rivets to use for pinball I can help. I use a LOT of rivets!

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from jhanley:

I've never seen one fail but the main problem for me is when a plastic gets broken and you have to transfer a part to the new one. The tool costs $200 bucks and I have maybe 6 rivets total to change. Not worth it to me to buy a tool that expensive.

You can buy a hand held rivet roll over punch for under $30. Pin Restore sells them as well as a nice starter kit of rivets and washers. Here is a video that I posted a while back using the hand held roll over punch...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/swords-of-fury-custom-ramps/page/8

First post on that page.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Freeplay40.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rivet-dies-needed-?tu=Freeplay40 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.