Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by valgalder
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

A friend's Riverboat Gambler is having some problems when it starts a game. It will sometimes kick out a ball and reset or just plain reset without kicking out a ball. Other times when it powers up. It starts a cycle of the lift crank assembly on the ramp moves a little, followed by the left drop target solenoid energizing and all the controlled lights will go out and then come back on. I've also noticed that the +5VAC and blanking leds on the MPU board are solidly lit, and the diagnosis led is blinking. The diagnosis and the blanking led will go out when the left drop target solenoid is energized. I've reseated all the connectors on the MPU board and there is nothing that jumps out at me on the MPU board that looks fried. Now when I go into the solenoid test, it will try to energize the fifth solenoid, xx and reset the game. I've reseating all the connectors on the MPU, Power Supply, Auxiliary Power Supply and Interconnect board. Also, I've reflowed the solder on all the connectors on the MPU and Power Supply Board as well. I've noticed on the power supply board that I get 5.01 volts exactly, however for the +12 volt test point I get about +9.5 volts and on the -12 volt test point I get about -13.5 volts. I have a capacitor kit coming for the power supply board since some of the capacitors look original and others look newer. Also I'm thinking the 2N6057 transistor at Q5 on the power supply board could be bad as well so I might change it out as well based on some searches I've run across. Any suggestions on where to start to troubleshoot this?

#2 2 years ago

I recapped the power supply board last night and got the +12 volt test point to show +13.5 volts, with the -12 volt test point showing -13.5 volt and the +5 volt test point unchanged at +5.01 volts. Fast forward to today and the +12 volt test point is showing +8.68 volts. I have a Q5 transistor on order, so hopefully that will clear things up.

#3 2 years ago

Today, my shipment from Marcos came in and I was able to replace the Q5 transistor, but that didn't make any difference. Thinking ahead I had a new bridge rectifier come in too and changed in out (BR1) and the game stopped resetting. Now if I can just get the game to quickly recognize a drain for ball one and kick out ball two, then I think I have gotten everything totally repaired!

#4 2 years ago

So...I was able to fix the outhole problem plus a bunch of other solenoids by adding a little bit of solder to all the connector pins/bridge rectifiers on the auxiliary power driver unit board.

7 months later
#5 2 years ago

Wondering if anyone can help point me in the right direction as I sorta have a similar issue but seems different. Game will randomly just restart a game, not a full reset of the machine. Will be playing fine and all of a sudden it's like a new game starts out of nowhere. Can't seem to find any correlations of when this happens. Maybe something faulty with the wiring on the start button?

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from valgalder:

Wondering if anyone can help point me in the right direction as I sorta have a similar issue but seems different. Game will randomly just restart a game, not a full reset of the machine. Will be playing fine and all of a sudden it's like a new game starts out of nowhere. Can't seem to find any correlations of when this happens. Maybe something faulty with the wiring on the start button?

It is always bad electrolytic capacitors or poor connections. You can get cap kits from Big Daddy or Great Plains Electronics. Start with power supply and CPU voltage regulator circuits. If you unplug each connector and spray Deoxit and re-attach it will help oxidized pins for a while. Older machines need all new connector pins. Original poster had cracked solder joints so inspect each circuit board's connector joints.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from Kent_Diego:

It is always bad electrolytic capacitors or poor connections. You can get cap kits from Big Daddy or Great Plains Electronics. Start with power supply and CPU voltage regulator circuits. If you unplug each connector and spray Deoxit and re-attach it will help oxidized pins for a while. Older machines need all new connector pins. Original poster had cracked solder joints so inspect each circuit board's connector joints.

Thanks for the tips! Will investigate all of that. My thoughts were if it was as power supply issue, the entire game would do a reset and not just do a game restart like you're holding the start button down or something though..

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
$ 50.00
$ 15.00
Electronics
Mod Magic!

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/riverboat-gambler-williams-system-11c-resetting-upon-game-start and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.