Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Alan_L
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

On my Riverboat Gambler (system 11c), switch column 7 is out: all eight drop targets do not register in Test Mode or gameplay. With connectors 1J8 and 1J10 removed the Switch Error message still shows at power up. The transistor (2N5550) for this column is R42, 1J8-8, green-violet wire. It tests good, same reading as all other 2N5550's with DMM. Logic probe shows "pulse" at U40 pin 12 (from Q42), same as others on that side.

I'm leaning toward the U40 (74LS244) or the U38 PIA (6821) as the culprit, but before I go ripping perfectly good components off this board, is there a way to test U40 and/or U38? Or should I look and test elsewhere?

Thanks in advance,

Alan

#2 6 years ago

I think the switch errors are memorized as an error event not a current event It probably has not seen those switches close in a long time so it threw an error. I think it will clear once you get the switches working again. I would be more interested in the switch level test with both connectors removed. If all switches show open that would be the correct state.
Have you tried the logic probe on the strobe lines with the connectors in place and see if a scan is missing, If so you have something loading down that scan line. If it does work and other switches on that column 7 line work, then you are down to a broken daisy chain wire going to the switch bank for your drop targets. If non of the switches work on column 7 and the pulse is there then it is a bad connection from the board or connector to the playfield.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from zapdbf:

I think the switch errors are memorized as an error event not a current event It probably has not seen those switches close in a long time so it threw an error. I think it will clear once you get the switches working again. I would be more interested in the switch level test with both connectors removed. If all switches show open that would be the correct state.

All eight drop target switches in column 7 show open in Switch Levels with 1J8 and `1J10 removed. None of the switches show closed in Switch Levels or Edges, with connectors attached or removed, targets up or down. I have continuity for the green-violet wire from the MPU to the Interconnect board input connector, to the ICB output connector and to the playfield drop target boards.

With a logic probe, "High Pulse" is shown at U40, Q42, MPU and ICB for switch column 7. "High steady" is showing at the LM339, pin 2, on each DT board.

Are you saying that there is no chance that either U40 or the PIA could be bad?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Electronics
Mod Magic!

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 20.00
$ 50.00
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/riverboat-gambler-switch-column-out and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.