Riverboat Gambler: Roulette lockdown-bar buttons don't work

By Skill_snot

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Alright you brainiacs:

I'm completely psyched to play RBG, but there's one main snafu holding me back. I just bought an amazing-condition Riverboat Gambler with Diamondplate at a great price that had a few simple issues that were easy to fix, but as a newbie to the hobby, the non-functional "red, green, black, pass" membrane-switch under the lockdown-bar for the roulette game has me stumped at the moment. I finally have an operations manual, so I'm ready to get the trouble-shooting process started!

1) None of the color or pass buttons seem to work. I took off the lockdown-bar and established that the membrane-switch is in there. It seems physically ok.

2) I tried pressing the membrane buttons down directly, without the bar in place, with no effect. I checked that the membrane-switch ribbon-cable was connected to the pins next to the coin door. I re-seated that cable connection multiple times in case it was a contact-issue there. Didn't help.

3) Does the membrane-switch work as a switch all on it's own, or does it need to make contact with something under itself? I don't want to pull it out/off without having a little bit of a clue.

4) I noticed that the color/pass buttons share a column on the "switch matrix" with the flippers, which work great, so can I assume that there is no general wiring issue for that column? Can I also assume no board-issue because the rest of the matrix-column works?

5) The only other thing I noticed was that there seemed to be a couple of disconnected (cut) braided ground-cables that may have run somewhere into the general area of the coin-door, lockdown-bar, buttons area. I can really see exactly where they may have been going, but could a disconnected ground cause the membrane-switch not to work?

6) Another question. The membrane-switch is referred to as "5 position." There are 4 buttons. Is the 5th position "off?"

7) I am tempted to just buy the membrane switch for $50 and plug it in to see if that solves the problem, but I'm not certain that I've narrowed the problem down to commit to the purchase. I would LOVE some help if anyone could point me in a direction to investigate!

Thanks, everyone, for helping me ride that lucky Riverboat!

#riverboat-gambler

#2 5 years ago

I just throwing it out there. Try unplugging the plastic ribbon and turning it over. My fire button on Black Rose didn't work when I got it and it was because that plastic ribbon was plugged in backwards/upside down, what have you.

#3 5 years ago

I have a time share at Tahoe seasons resort,and they have a RG there and those buttons don't work either! I asked my tech guy about it and he said those buttons are not replacable! When they stop working you have to install 5 new ones in the front of the pin underneath the old ones! Seems the part needed to fix that issue are unabtainable!! Good luck!!!

#4 5 years ago

Black rose uses membrane switches and I’ve gone through two of those. If there was an easy way to replace the membrane switches with regular switches, I would do it.

Check the schematic again. On the ribbon connector, you should be able to see when the switch is closed by pushing on it. Have the machine powered off before doing this. Also, it’s a lot easier to test when you have a second person.

#5 5 years ago

Thanks for the replies!

I tried flipping over the ribbon cable, but alas, it didn't seem to help. I bit the bullet and ordered a new membrane switch, so I hope that is the problem! When it arrives, I will try it out and update this post.

Billc479, you mentioned that I should be able to "see when the switch is closed by pushing on it." Do you mean, hook a multimeter up to the ribbon connector and push the switch to see if circuits are being made? Sorry, not sure what you meant.

#6 5 years ago

Yes is the short answer. On the ribbon, one land is common, and the other lands are the other side of each individual “switch”. I saw it on my schematic for BR, but it took a bit for me to figure it out. I used a multimeter to verify the bad switch.

What I found was the membrane switch I used went bad. I thought about just moving it over one position, but got distracted by other pretty lights and never got around to it. The membrane ribbon (going by memory) has five positions, so I think I could rig something up. For RG, I don’t think that’s going to be possible.

I remember reading somewhere about some kind of goopenpucky that you could inject into the bad membrane switch to make it start working again. It sounded like snake oil to me so I never tried it. If you find it and decide to try it, please let me know.

3 weeks later
#7 5 years ago

Just to follow up on this, I found the membrane switch for sale on Marco: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/5641-12673-00 for about $50 and that did the trick! The only weird thing now is that black, red and green all work as expected, but the white "pass" button doesn't seem to do anything except for let the roulette countdown time out and it just returns your ball. I guess thats fine and it works as a pass, but I would've expected it to immediately "pass" as opposed to simply feeling like a disengaged button? I would like to see how another machine plays just out of curiosity.

Anyway, mystery solved! Thanks to everyone for your responses!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 50.00
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 15.00
Electronics
Mod Magic!

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/riverboat-gambler-roulette-lockdown-bar-buttons-don-t-work and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.