Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by sodly
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Hi. I'm more of an EM guy (novice, really) but a friend has a Riverboat Gambler solid-state machine that's giving problems. Is this a good place to ask questions? I'm clueless when it comes to these machines. But I think I got it working, although now it requires quarters to play a game (it used to be on free-play). Not sure what changed. Is there an easy way to get the machine back on free-play? Is there a setting? I played around with the three buttons inside the coin door but never saw a menu that indicated free play come up on the display. Any advice would be appreciated. Or is there anyone in the Lincoln, NE area that could fine-tune the settings on this machine? Thanks.

#2 4 years ago

Bad batteries, battery holder. Check the contacts for corrosion.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Bad batteries, battery holder. Check the contacts for corrosion.

Dumb question but where are the batteries? In the back box somewhere?

#4 4 years ago

I'd do away with the batteries...install NVRAM.

Sounds like you need to go into utilities and set the machine back on free play again.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from sodly:

Dumb question but where are the batteries? In the back box somewhere?

The 3 AA batteies are located in the upper middle on the large CPU board...upper left side of the backbox.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

I'd do away with the batteries...install NVRAM.
Sounds like you need to go into utilities and set the machine back on free play again.

Yeah, that's kinda what it looks like. I was able to scroll through a bunch of setup menus (that didn't make much sense to me) but never came across anything that looked like free play.

What is NVRAM? I know this machine hasn't had batteries changed in over a decade. It gets little use. That's why I didn't think the batteries could be the problem. They surely would've died years ago.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

The 3 AA batteies are located in the upper middle on the large CPU board...upper left side of the backbox.

Do you access that from the front or back of the back box?

#8 4 years ago

Inspect the board closely for battery leakage...especially around the chips that are directly beloe the battery holder. Keep in mind though, that "acid" damage can also travel up. I've seen that on a few system 11 machines.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from sodly:

Do you access that from the front or back of the back box?

You access the settings w/ the buttons that are on the coin door.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

You access the settings w/ the buttons that are on the coin door.

I meant to say, inside the coin door.

#11 4 years ago

The batteries are on the CPU board that is in the backbox.

#12 4 years ago

You'll need to 1st, remove the backglass, then you pivot the lamp panel open to gain access to the boards.

#13 4 years ago

If the batteries haven't been changed in 10 years, it's highly likely that there will be some battery damage. If you fire up the machine and displays shows "adjust failure" your batteries have croaked. The game is reset back to factory defaults.

#14 4 years ago

Thanks, all. I will try to locate and replace the batteries. Is it possible they've lasted all these years (who knows how many)? I've never had any other device where the batteries have lasted 10 years.

#15 4 years ago

Forgot to add....

Can anyone tell me how to use the buttons inside the coin door to re-set the machine for free play?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 50.00
Cabinet Parts
Mod Magic!
Cabinet parts
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 40.00
Cabinet Parts
Mod Magic!
Cabinet parts
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/riverboat-gambler-problems-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.