image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
#1 7 years ago

New to the forum and have already found some great info.I have a RiverBoat Gambler table that has been stored in a non temp control garage for a year. It was working fine before that and now that I have a place to put it indoors I Am getting an adjust failure message. About 3 days ago I replaced the batteries and cleaned off the contact which did have a good bit of corrosion. Game worked fine after that. Now when I turned that game back on I'm getting the adjust failure message again. Any ideas ?

#2 7 years ago

Look in your schematic and test the voltage on the board with the game off. If you're not getting full battery power on the board it's likely corrosion has damaged some of the traces and you'll need to remedy the damage and arrest any further corrosion.

Remote battery holder installed? Photos of the board?

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from Tropicalcats:

did have a good bit of corrosion.

You might pull the battery holder off and see if you have board damage below it.

LTG : )

#4 7 years ago

Ok, I know just enough to be dangerous! How do I pull the battery holder? I think that's probably a good place to start.

#5 7 years ago

Ok, I know just enough to be dangerous! How do I pull the battery holder? I think that's probably a good place to start.

Get help if you've never done board work. Unsoldering involved.

#6 7 years ago

Understood thanks

#7 7 years ago

Post your location here and in your profile - maybe someone local can help you out??

#8 7 years ago

Post a picture of the board. That will help as well.

#9 7 years ago

What's the board that the battery box is on?

Located in central fl

#10 7 years ago

the MPU board. The biggest board in the backbox.

#11 7 years ago

And I'm sure the most expensive.
I saw a video on YouTube where they just clipped the solder points of the battery holder, soldered and reinstalled a remote battery holder.
Any ideas about that?
Since when I first cleaned up the battery box it started to work again am I wrong to think that there probably wasn't any damage to the board? Maybe I just miss some of the corrosion when I was cleaning up the holder.

#12 7 years ago

Post a picture of the board so that we can have a look over. Sometimes alkaline damage is not hard to spot.
I've been upgrading boards to NVRAM so no longer would batteries be needed.

#13 7 years ago

Since when I first cleaned up the battery box it started to work again am I wrong to think that there probably wasn't any damage to the board? Maybe I just miss some of the corrosion when I was cleaning up the holder.

It's more likely the corrosion is underneath the holder and has damaged the board. Many times this is not a big deal and can be easily fixed by cleaning and installing a remote battery holder (easy) or upgrading to NVRAM (less easy but a better solution)

I suggest you remove the battery holder from the board, take good photos of that area (front and back if possible) and post them so you can get eyes on that section that know what they're looking for.

This section of the pinwiki covers repairing alkaline damage on games similar to yours.
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_9_-_11#Repairing_Alkaline_Corrosion

You're getting the message that shows up when battery connection is lost. The MOST LIKELY cause (since you have new batteries) is corrosion but without photos that's just a guess.

#14 7 years ago

I'm in central Florida
And could help but pm me
And we can go from there

#15 7 years ago

am I wrong to think that there probably wasn't any damage to the board?

Yes.

That crap gets everywhere. you can't be to careful. catch it early is way cheaper than buying a whole new board.

#16 7 years ago

Some pictures of the box in question.
Taking up close pictures I can see areas I missed.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#17 7 years ago

More

#18 7 years ago

The small disc on the right bottom came off while removing the battery. Now that I look at the picture should it have addictive on top as well

#19 7 years ago

You are kidding yourself if you don't think there is damage under that battery holder.

Crap around the edges, clip corroded. Crap around the solder points. Crap leeched into the fiberboard.

John Wart Jr or Chris Hibler post here on Pinside, both can help you if you don't have anyone near you.

#20 7 years ago

That's what I thought to in looking at it up close. It looks nasty.

#21 7 years ago

So how many solder points hold the battery pack on? Can I clip them and get that nasty thing off my board without removing the whole board.

#22 7 years ago

Should be just the 6 spots you can see, 2 for each battery. Cut it off and post more pics.

#23 7 years ago

Yeah
Get that holder off there and start cleaning it up before it causes more damage. Pull the board out and unsolder the holder which is 6 spots.
Out of curiosity did you just buy this machine ??

#24 7 years ago

So something like this I could do.

#25 7 years ago

Where are u at in central Florida ??
I would be more then happy to give you a hand with this

#26 7 years ago

You can do that but if you don't fix the acid damage that's already there it's only a matter of time before it destroys the board.

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from gameover1173:

Where are u at in central Florida ??
I would be more then happy to give you a hand with this

In Lakeland.

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from gameover1173:

Yeah

Out of curiosity did you just buy this machine ??

No. Bought it about 9 years ago and it always played well. I was a dummy about a year ago when I moved from Ohio. I didn't have a place for it so I stored it in the garage. Just moved again and now I have a place for it. Set it up and found the " Adjust Failure" looking back at me. Yep a big dummy.

#29 7 years ago

I live about an hour from you
If you need a hand with it I would be more then happy to help
You will need to pull the board anyways

#30 7 years ago

Finally had Time to pull the battery holder. Let me know what you think. To me it looks like little damage if any. Should I clean the area behind the old box? I will be relocating to a safer place.

#31 7 years ago

The original holder is trash. No use in putting on another holder, even a remote one. Seek gameover1173 help since he said he is available to you to get the board repaired properly and have NVRAM installed so no batteries are no longer needed. This board is too delicate to even try to practice cleaning up as some actual parts need to be replaced. Defiantly looks like this board can be fixed up nicely so a new or replacement used one should not be needed.

#32 7 years ago

Gameover1173 you have a PM

#33 7 years ago

i sent you a pm back with some info

#34 7 years ago

That board has a lot of corrosion damage!!!

#35 7 years ago

Definitely take the offer of help repairing the board. Alkaline is like rust, it'll leech itself through that board til there's not enough left to repair.

To repair that properly, you're looking at a few hours of work. You can't just 'rinse' it with vinegar and say done - the board has to be sanded down to bare copper anywhere the solder mask or copper traces are discolored, sealed, and every component the alkaline touched must be replaced. Otherwise, you're just wasting time/money.

#36 7 years ago

So my firSt soldering job and a new battery holder my RiverBoat Gambler has set sail and is back up and running thanks to all for some great advice.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 50.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Electronics
Mod Magic!

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 30.00
$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/riverboat-gambler-adjust-failure and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.