Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3999BBA3-9470-4BF2-9E30-7E918E52CBE6 (resized).jpeg
6FF7C49E-A929-4156-BA1F-3A7284DEF636 (resized).jpeg
Capture (resized).PNG
EEA46DF2-8640-426D-8D80-73983DD0E525 (resized).jpeg
#1 3 years ago

This is my first post. I am really new to fixing machines so please be nice. I have a 1964 Riverboat by Williams. When the ball strikes any single point scoring mechanism (sling shot, bumper, etc), the points do not register. All other scoring options for 10’s and 100’s do work. I have opened the game up and looked inside but can’t seem to find the reason why. I looked for open switches that may be touching constantly (I found this to be happening on a Gigi machine I own) causing the score to not be registered. Anybody know where I should start or inspect first?

Thanks!

#2 3 years ago

Check out your 1 pt. relay, which is likely in the backbox: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#clean

Scroll to the top of that link after reading and bookmark!!

#3 3 years ago

Thanks! I’ll take a look

#4 3 years ago

Riverboat is a very fun game; pretty underrated IMO.

As Currieddog recommends, find the 1-pt relay in the back box. Start a game and have someone manually activate a few 1-pt targets. Observe whether the 1-pt relay attempts to pull in?

If it does not, then you have either a burned out or disconnected coil on the 1-pt relay itself, or, you have a problem with the Jones plugs and wiring between the cabinet and the backbox.

If the 1-pt relay does pull in, but still does not move the 1-pt score reel, then either the normally open switches on the 1-pt relay are non functional, or you have a burned or disconnected solenoid on the 1 pt score reel.

Lee

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from Runbikeskilee:

If the 1-pt relay does pull in, but still does not move the 1-pt score reel, then either the normally open switches on the 1-pt relay are non functional, or you have a burned or disconnected solenoid on the 1 pt score reel.

or a poor contact at the runout sw.

#6 3 years ago

I have started a game and when pressing a 1-point bumper, nothing happens. I can manually trigger the 1-point relay and it scores properly. The problem seems to be when I hit the 1-pointer bumpers, no signal is sent to the 1-point relay to spin the score reel. I think I’m making sense here. As mentioned earlier, there might be a broken wire somewhere. I don’t think the solenoid is shot since it does trigger the point when I manually activate it. Does this help diagnose it?

EEA46DF2-8640-426D-8D80-73983DD0E525 (resized).jpegEEA46DF2-8640-426D-8D80-73983DD0E525 (resized).jpeg
#7 3 years ago

Well, I have an update. I unplugged each of the Jones connectors and examined each one for looseness. Not finding any, I push them back in and guess what?.......it started counting the single digits again. I swear that’s really weird but that’s what happened. Now, I have to figure out why GAME OVER doesn’t light up at end game and not Match number
lights either

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from King-Agricola:

Not finding any, I push them back in and guess what?.......it started counting the single digits again.

Not at all unknown!!

Check this make/break sw. on the Game Over relay for the lite problem. And is the plug for Match in 'ON' in the backbox?

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG
#9 3 years ago

Plug is “on” in back box. I have the schematic sheet that you posted. What exactly am I looking for? Here is a pic of the match being in the “on” position

6FF7C49E-A929-4156-BA1F-3A7284DEF636 (resized).jpeg6FF7C49E-A929-4156-BA1F-3A7284DEF636 (resized).jpeg
#10 3 years ago

Is the no match switch in the bottom of the cabinet?

#11 3 years ago

Never mind. I start playing around with the Jones connectors and the match light starts working. I guess it goes back to “clean it first”? Lol

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from King-Agricola:

Jones connectors and the match light starts working.

Just going to suggest that. Now check the M/B on the Game Over relay for that lite.

#13 3 years ago

Not at all weird. Try wire brushing or sanding the male jones plug prongs both in the backbox and in the cabinet. That will usually improve the conductivity. Cleaning the female sockets takes a very thin wire brush or an old fashioned pipe cleaner.

#14 3 years ago

I took some sand paper (600 grit) to the male posts. I think that helped.

While I’m on the subject, what’s the best way to clean the advance step wheel? The one that is supposed to advance through the cards once the swinging target gets hit or the bumper behind it if you miss. Mine seems to be sluggish and doesn’t reset completely to advance to the second “card”

#15 3 years ago
3999BBA3-9470-4BF2-9E30-7E918E52CBE6 (resized).jpeg3999BBA3-9470-4BF2-9E30-7E918E52CBE6 (resized).jpeg
#17 3 years ago

This is great information! Thanks for all your help!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/riverboat-1964-single-score-doesnt-work?hl=runbikeskilee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.