(Topic ID: 192431)

Ripped apart a Black Knight and gave it mouth to mouth.

By shacklersrevenge

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Luzur
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3124 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3123 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6210 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6209 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6207 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6208 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6206 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6205 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6204 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6203 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6159 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6154 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6153 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6152 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6151 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6140 (resized).JPG
    #1 6 years ago

Black Knight. One of the most iconic and popular pins to ever be released.
    As a kid, I remember seeing and playing this game in the local arcade, and it played like crap. It was a bummer, because I remember the double playfield looked so cool.
    Fast forward, I bought a Cpr'ed version of this game all done up from someone and everything in it/on it was NEW, it played like a figure skater.
    I had needed some money and space at the time, so I listed a few pins, and that BK was one of them. Nobody on pinside wanted to buy it, and it was priced as low as $1800.

I then had someone want to come out and buy a Firepower 2 I had, so that was enough and I decided to keep the BK.
    When they came to my house, they looked at the FP2, which was a fine game but then said they didn't want it and wanted the BK instead. Reluctantly, I agreed. If you're reading this, buyer, i'm still sort of pissed you did that.

So, I missed it... and what do you do when you miss something, why.. you find it again. Patiently.

As I do each year, I attended Pinfest. Lots of pins were being scooped up but not a lonely BK missing its backglass for $800. It looked pretty decent otherwise.

I had arranged to pick up a Royal Flush project beforehand with some dude, and when I did, I was really disappointed in it. I joked with a buddy, that I didn't even want to take it home. The buddy then offered to negotiate a trade with cash for BK in the back flea area, and he did just that. $500 and the Royal Flush. Excellent.

I then went to mayfair to haggle for a new backglass. They wouldn't budge $5, but I bought it anyways.

So here is the original condition and here is me ripping into it, because....

IMG_6114 (resized).JPGIMG_6114 (resized).JPGIMG_6112 (resized).JPGIMG_6112 (resized).JPGIMG_6113 (resized).JPGIMG_6113 (resized).JPGIMG_6111 (resized).JPGIMG_6111 (resized).JPGIMG_6110 (resized).JPGIMG_6110 (resized).JPGIMG_6107 (resized).JPGIMG_6107 (resized).JPGIMG_6106 (resized).JPGIMG_6106 (resized).JPG

IMG_6108 (resized).JPGIMG_6108 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6109 (resized).JPGIMG_6109 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6105 (resized).JPGIMG_6105 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

Great story. Pin should clean up nicely. Congrats on picking up another. I loved playing this back in the early 80's. Iconic title

#3 6 years ago

Because, I had located an affordabke CPR BK playfield set with plastics and stencil kit from a great pinside member.

IMG_6130 (resized).JPGIMG_6130 (resized).JPGIMG_6125 (resized).JPGIMG_6125 (resized).JPGIMG_6118 (resized).JPGIMG_6118 (resized).JPGIMG_6123 (resized).JPGIMG_6123 (resized).JPGIMG_6122 (resized).JPGIMG_6122 (resized).JPGIMG_6120 (resized).JPGIMG_6120 (resized).JPGIMG_6119 (resized).JPGIMG_6119 (resized).JPG

IMG_6124 (resized).JPGIMG_6124 (resized).JPG

#4 6 years ago

Into the cooker you go...

I've done a couple swaps, my first was a Xenon that came out beautiful, and a Bally Star Trek. I tend to think sometimes I can breeze through it, but once you get in deep and notice the time flying by, reality kicks in and you get a real sense and appreciation about how these are put together.

Patience is key. If you get tired or start to hurt, walk away. I tend to do little bits here and there, so over three days this got completed.

A drill is a must for certain areas, like ball guides...

IMG_6159 (resized).JPGIMG_6159 (resized).JPGIMG_6152 (resized).JPGIMG_6152 (resized).JPGIMG_6151 (resized).JPGIMG_6151 (resized).JPGIMG_6140 (resized).JPGIMG_6140 (resized).JPGIMG_6139 (resized).JPGIMG_6139 (resized).JPGIMG_6138 (resized).JPGIMG_6138 (resized).JPGIMG_6137 (resized).JPGIMG_6137 (resized).JPGIMG_6135 (resized).JPGIMG_6135 (resized).JPGIMG_6133 (resized).JPGIMG_6133 (resized).JPGIMG_6132 (resized).JPGIMG_6132 (resized).JPG

IMG_6153 (resized).JPGIMG_6153 (resized).JPG

IMG_6154 (resized).JPGIMG_6154 (resized).JPG

#5 6 years ago

That's story, I'm sure there's a few stories like these already, but it's good to show how a game comes back to life.

I'm not out of the woods yet, though. I am a hater of the Williams system 7 board set-HATE that interconnect bs design and the chips are ancient and a pita. Years ago I ran a mpu-1 by Rottendog, it was great. Just bought an mpu-2 from them and I was able to test the game worked great, but no multiball worked with that board (i guess a known issue that I didn't know about...)
    Jim Knight at Rottendog said no sweat, send it to me for a refund. I know someone local to me with the Mpu-1, so I have to snag that from him one day.

A few more tweaks here and there, but it's good to have it together. I made up the kit on TitanPinball for the rubber, I went with a green rubber below to make a forest look, and all yellow up top, with matching post caps.

IMG_6203 (resized).JPGIMG_6203 (resized).JPGIMG_6204 (resized).JPGIMG_6204 (resized).JPGIMG_6205 (resized).JPGIMG_6205 (resized).JPGIMG_6206 (resized).JPGIMG_6206 (resized).JPGIMG_6208 (resized).JPGIMG_6208 (resized).JPGIMG_6207 (resized).JPGIMG_6207 (resized).JPGIMG_6209 (resized).JPGIMG_6209 (resized).JPGIMG_6210 (resized).JPGIMG_6210 (resized).JPG

#6 6 years ago

Wow, very nice! Congratulations on being reunited!

#7 6 years ago

How will I ever know if I am playing a BK if it is all nice and purdy and perfectly working?

....kidding aside, nice story and nice work. That's a nice personal touch with the different color rubber as well.

#8 6 years ago

Huh, i didnt know there existed plastics for those metal guides below the kickers? or is that a mod?

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from Luzur:

Huh, i didnt know there existed plastics for those metal guides below the kickers? or is that a mod?

Those are the "special" cpr plastic set bonus pieces. I like standing them off to give a little depth.

IMG_3123 (resized).JPGIMG_3123 (resized).JPG

IMG_3124 (resized).JPGIMG_3124 (resized).JPG

#10 6 years ago

Huh, i should ave done that to my Jungle Lord, i just coated the metal green.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from Luzur:

Keep an eye out on ebay for those two plastics, they pop up every once in awhile.

#12 6 years ago

I got mine off eBay from classic arcade. He makes them and they do look nice. Looks better than the metal blades in my opinion.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

I got mine off eBay from classic arcade. He makes them and they do look nice. Looks better than the metal blades in my opinion.

That's the same place I got mine. They do look nice.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from Talonslair:

Keep an eye out on ebay for those two plastics, they pop up every once in awhile.

Well i dont have a Black Knight, only a Jungle Lord, and i doubt those fit on them.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ripped-apart-a-black-knight-an-gave-it-mouth-to-mouth and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.